270 vs 7mm-08 vs 308 vs 30/06

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
On a semi-related issue, at what barrel length does the 6.5 Creedmoor cease to gain much speed from additional length?
Bought 24 inch barreled Savage 110 for lady friend thinking that would be optimal length to hold some speed.
Already had plenty of 20 inch barreled youth 243, 308 and 7mm-08 for tight stands.

I have a 19” barrel and wish it were shorter but that is with a suppressor. I agree with your statement about energy but comparing bullets of similar weight and construction there is no way I can see a vast difference in performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
400 and in I would pick the 7/08 all day. I love that round so much. For the 600 yard shot I think I would have to pick the 270. I've shot my 7/08 out to 800 but it definitely gets bucked by the wind . Once I started shooting longer distances I switched to a 300 win mag and a 28 nosler. Both are great and there are a lot of other great rounds out there too. If my 7/08 didn't weigh a ton I would take it elk hunting. I've only had one time that I even had a shot opportunity past 300 yards and that was my elk last year at 540.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
Actually by 600 yards the 6.5 creed with 147 has less drift and more energy.

The velocity and energy numbers at 600 yards are nearly the same, with the creed having a slight edge. Both maintain expansion velocity. The 270 has significantly less drop and a bit more wind drift. Even worse when you factor in that the 147gr creed doesn't overtake the 270 in velocity or energy until ~550 yards. Plus the 147 is a match bullet. Replace it with a 143 ELDX (the more logical comparison for anyone not attempting to cherry pick) and the creedmoor is significantly inferior to the 270 in any metric other than .3" of wind drift.

OP also said OUT TO 600 yards rather than 600 yards for every shot. Factor in the odds of taking each shot, I guarantee the Creed with the 147gr will only give you those paltry gains in less than 5% of all shots on game with a inferior match bullet. It will NEVER approach overtaking the 270 with a comparable hunting bullet.

TL;DR
270 > 6.5 Creed for all practical shots on game. But everyone already knew that.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
You’re correct that inside of 600 yards the 270 has superior ballistics to the 6.5 creed in many ways. I can’t see a large margin of difference though especially when there are areas of overlap. There are lot of people who really like the 270 and the same can be said of the 6.5 creed. I’m sure there are people much smarter and with more experience than both of us in both camps. I like the how shootable the 6.5 is and In my experience it’s noticeably easier to reload, which may not be as relevant to you. To me drop is not as relevant as drift and impact velocity.

Marshfly

WKR
You are taking a huge chance buying a 270 HOPING that the ELD groups. Mine sure won’t with it.

ALL 6.5s group well with ALL the ELDs.

Go read the 223, 6mm, and 6.5mm big game threads. There’s plenty of folks here who use 223s to kill elk cleanly, and that thread explains why/how.

A .308 bullet is is 7.8mm. Do you really think an elk being hit can notice an extra 1.3mm of bullet over a 6.5ceed?

Would you ever play this game with Grizzly?

"Do you really think a Grizzly being hit can notice an extra (X)mm of bullet over a 6.5creed?"

Not being an azz. But at some point it does matter.

WKR
You are taking a huge chance buying a 270 HOPING that the ELD groups. Mine sure won’t with it.

ALL 6.5s group well with ALL the ELDs.

ALL 6.5s won't group well with anything. I though elsewise and purchased a Mossberg 6.5 CM to prove that a $300 gun in 6.5CM can shoot. It's also the only 6.5 creedmoor I own. I spent more bullet down that that rifle is worth. 135 Hunter Classic, 140, 147 eldm, 143 eldx, 123 hammers. Purchases a new barrel for it but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Any way back to the OP question, for a 600 yard bull of a lifetime round, I would exchange the 7mm-08 for 280AI since you listed other long action standard bolt face rounds. Far better ballistic then commercial 30-06 or 270. But if you hand load, a fast twist .270 or .270AI with 170 bergers would be pretty sweet but a fast twist .280Ai with 180 berger might be better..

BjornF16

WKR
OP also said OUT TO 600 yards rather than 600 yards for every shot. Factor in the odds of taking each shot, I guarantee the Creed with the 147gr will only give you those paltry gains in less than 5% of all shots on game with a inferior match bullet. It will NEVER approach overtaking the 270 with a comparable hunting bullet.

Inferior match bullet? :ROFLMAO:

Less recoil, observe impact, quicker follow-on shots.

Marshfly

WKR
ALL 6.5s won't group well with anything. I though elsewise and purchased a Mossberg 6.5 CM to prove that a $300 gun in 6.5CM can shoot. It's also the only 6.5 creedmoor I own. I spent more bullet down that that rifle is worth. 135 Hunter Classic, 140, 147 eldm, 143 eldx, 123 hammers. Purchases a new barrel for it but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Any way back to the OP question, for a 600 yard bull of a lifetime round, I would exchange the 7mm-08 for 280AI since you listed other long action standard bolt face rounds. Far better ballistic then commercial 30-06 or 270. But if you hand load, a fast twist .270 or .270AI with 170 bergers would be pretty sweet but a fast twist .280Ai with 180 berger might be better..
Ok. So junk guns don't group. Got it. Don't buy the Hipoint of rifles.

bmart2622

WKR
Not inferior on accuracy; just inferior on taking Elk or other game as the match bullet is not designed for penetration or expansion.
I tried a match bullet on a deer when I was young and didn’t know better. It hit the shoulder and exploded with no penetration.
I think you should do some more research. There are guys taking truck loads of elk every year with match bullets.

KenLee

WKR
Not inferior on accuracy; just inferior on taking Elk or other game as the match bullet is not designed for penetration or expansion.
I tried a match bullet on a deer when I was young and didn’t know better. It hit the shoulder and exploded with no penetration.
Splatter bullets have came a long way.
Unless you hit shoulder at a very steep angle, or the deer is way the heck yonder, they'll be a hole through the shoulder.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
You can look at noslers reload data on their website. Plug that into a ballistics calculator. This should give a good idea for comparison. At the end of the day you probably can't go wrong. I favor 30-06. If you like to save money on factory ammo 308 is the way to go. If like speed 270 is good. If want the most range 30-06 is probably the best 7mm-08 is probably the worst.
Here's my ranking
1. 30-06
2. 270
3. 308
100. 7mm-08

My take is any of these calibers are more than capable. If you prefer higher recoil and burning more powder to get the job done go 30-06,.270. If like the poster above says you want available factory ammo .308 is king. If you want equal ability to a .270 in a short action then the 7mm-08 is a great choice. I own a 30-06 and three 7mm-08's .