.270 on whitetail - short range

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
Partitions and Interlocks are my first 2 choices.
Going to try some Federal Fusions in my .308 this year.
Have killed a bunch with both of those as well. 160s and 130s respectively. The partitions really put them down hard.

As said before, it’s just a deer so don’t overthink it

Unckebob

WKR
Any hunting bullet should work because a 270 is overkill in most whitetail situations with good shot placement. (While I wouldn't do it, lots of people kill deer with 223.)

I like Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 6.CM and plan to use them when my 280AI is ready.

Last edited:

Tx270WT

FNG
Since it’s the good ol 270 win, you have a better chance of picking a random bullet off the shelf that will do what you want than one that won’t. but, like has been mentioned time and time again, nosler partition basically made the 270, and goes with white tails like peanut butter goes with jelly. I’ve always been partial to 150 gr nosler partitions but my gun loves that round. Coreloks have been filling truck beds since forever. Barnes makes awesom 130 ttsx but don’t be afraid of the 110. Sierra has several good bullets, federal has almost too many to count. About the only round I haven’t been a fan of has been the Winchester super x.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Funny this thread popped up. I recently broke my old trusty Ruger M77 zytel skeleton stock back out of the safe and put a new scope on it. Bringing it as a back up on an elk hunt this year and it has been neglected. I forgot how good it shoots just about any bullet you put through it. Sighted it in this weekend with some 150gr partitions. Can't wait to shoot some 200+ lb whitetails this winter with it.

Joebe

FNG
My rifle loves Winchester 130gr silver tips. They have always done the jbe for me at the ranges your talking about.

Quigly13

FNG
I’ve shot a cow elk with 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. So I figure any hunting 270 cal between 130 - 150 grains would be just fine for Whitetails probably up to 300 yards without thinking too hard about it.

.270 Hornady 140 grain SST’s. Been using them for years. Close range, long range. You do your job, they’ll do theirs

140 interlock has worked for me 25 feet to 375yards
I have a 270 that doesn’t get stretched more than 300 yards. My “load development” was figuring out what brand of primer I had the most of, loading a charge of H4831 1gr off max in new Winchester brass, seating 140gr Interlocks to the cannelure x50, and zeroing the rifle. I have 34 left with 3 dead deer and 2 dead pigs, all one-shot kills.

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I would say Accubond or Partition if you want it to
Hold together and pass through. But another I’d consider is the Berger VLD. May not pass through but from what I’ve seen deer don’t usually make it far with them.

Shad71

WKR
I use 150s when hunting thicker terrains especially if black bear and elk could be in the mix. Never had a 150 Partition or Fusion ever not performing as designed on game.

Yoder

WKR
Due to the ammo shortage, I wound up with 130 gr Norma Whitetail ammo for my 270. It was all I could find at the time. It shoots great. Very accurate. I killed a small doe last year and I thought it performed pretty well. This year I shot a 3yr old buck right in the shoulder at around 100 yards. It hit a rib right in the vital V then hit the shoulder on the opposite side. Bullet never exited and completely fragmented. The buck ran about 100 yards. I think if I would have hit larger bone, I would have never found that deer. After seeing that, I wouldn't use this ammo for anything but coyotes.

Partitions are awesome for muleys. Using 150s because my rifle loves them. Never had one run more than 20', most drop like a sack of potatoes on the spot. But like many have said, it's a deer, they don't take much to kill. Whatever is cheap and readily available that your rifle likes.

Factory load Barnes VortX TTSX 130 grs is what I shoot out of my Tikka T3X. Very good accuracy, 1/2-3/4 MOA.

Lowg08

WKR
I know many have had great success. My dad has shot two bucks in two years. One at 60 yards the other at 30 with a .270 with cor-lokt
And has never gotten a pass through shot. Luckily he has made good shots but all projectiles have been retrieved from the far side hide.

Unckebob

WKR
Due to the ammo shortage, I wound up with 130 gr Norma Whitetail ammo for my 270. It was all I could find at the time. It shoots great. Very accurate. I killed a small doe last year and I thought it performed pretty well. This year I shot a 3yr old buck right in the shoulder at around 100 yards. It hit a rib right in the vital V then hit the shoulder on the opposite side. Bullet never exited and completely fragmented. The buck ran about 100 yards. I think if I would have hit larger bone, I would have never found that deer. After seeing that, I wouldn't use this ammo for anything but coyotes.

What bullet were you using? 130g 270 loads have been killing deer for over 100 years.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed a lot of deer over the years with the 270, my go-to bullet is the Hornady Spire Point 140 gr. I've shot a lot of different cartridges for deer the the 270 is the best "killer" I've ever witnessed. I like to experiment with different rifle/cartridge combos but I'll always have a 270.

triglet40

FNG
Shot a nice buck with a hornady interlock 2 years ago. He was quartering to me and i shot him through the front shoulder @ about 20 yards. was hunting the edge of a swamp and he only made it about 40 yards. few pin drops of blood at edge of water or i would have thought it was a complete miss. Looked that night and couldn’t find him went back next day and found him 1/2 of one side of rack was all that was sticking out of water. bullet came apart but insides were soup consistency no exit. shot doe following year @60-70 yards perfect broadside shot had complete pass through with hole out opposite side you could have dropped a quarter through she never took a step. Both results were dead deer and i was happy with performance.