.270 on whitetail - short range

What would you suggest for a .270 WIN whitetail round from 20-200 yards? Preferably something that will stay together at close range and pass through. Hornady Interlock and the Nosler Partition 130’s come to mind. Any suggestions?

Tmac

WKR
In my experience, most 130-150 grain bullets will exit broadside shots on whitetail at those ranges. Very heavy bucks may see fewer exits. The ones already mentioned should all do fine for your goals. If you want to insure pass throughs, mono’s, bonded or the heavier weight cup and cores should all fill the bill.

LightFoot

WKR
What would you suggest for a .270 WIN whitetail round from 20-200 yards? Preferably something that will stay together at close range and pass through. Hornady Interlock and the Nosler Partition 130’s come to mind. Any suggestions?

100% yes. Interlock, Partitions, TTSX, etc. any hunting bullet from 130 grains to 150.

My GF shoots 140 Aframes in her 270. Great on deer like this one. .
555b22cc4dfc92bb2914c557e89641dd.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
Accubonds and or ABLR.. is what I shoot from 40-400 yards out of my 270. I have used both bullets at both distances on whitetail, my shots on elk and moose were about 100 yards. I’m a believer in them if your gun likes them. I shoot behind front shoulder and have not lost one yet.. they have ran 40 ish yards before dropping tho.

Felton

WKR
I like shooting a little heavier bullet than 130 grs. I have a theory that bullets traveling over about ~2800 fps expand erratically. With 130gr 270 I’ve seen close range shot (under 80 yards) bullets expand erratically from bullets exploding to punching through and barely expanding. The bullet expansion was not consistent.

I did have a couple boxes of of 130 gr tsx that performed flawlessly. I’m currently using 140 gr accubond.

I've shot 130 gr core-lokt out of mine for years for pretty much the exact scenarios you mention. They shoot great out of my 270 and I've never had any issues with whitetails not going down quickly. Although, they may not be fancy or expensive enough for some folks on here. I don't know all the specs but I do know the results.

Any of them? You’ll have some failures at 20 yards but they’ll get the job done just the same. A heavy bonded bullet might fair better up close but might not open up at distance. If you’re overly concerned, stay away from any of the tipped bullets like a ballistic tip, eldx, tipped gameking. The accubond and scirocco are both bonded and should do well at your ranges. If you’re shooting deer, just hit them in the boiler room and it doesn’t really matter what you’re using.

Do not know about the 270 but Remington core locks in a 30-06 has never let me down on deer. Sometimes old school is the best school.