2500 Gas or diesel ...

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Get a used Ford with the v10, tons of power and will go 300,000 miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

i was that guy too luke, then i got greedy and got the fancy trailer, but i am tired of having to pull 8klb of trailer now, it is nice to have hard sided place to stay and a fridge and shower.
I'm going to sell my toy hauler and go back to a enclosed trailer as well, my wifes suburban can pull it too and i may downgrade to a 1500 truck as well or smaller toyota..only issue i have is my diesel is paid for and only has 55,00 miles on it, it is not a daily driver hard to beat that now as well

JWP58

WKR
If you get a diesel make sure you get 22" wheels, low profile tires, a sewer pipe for an exhuast, flat bill hat, and all the douchey stickers you can find. You want a brodozer....bro. Oh and blow obnoxious amounts of black smoke at every intersection.

If you get a diesel make sure you get 22" wheels, low profile tires, a sewer pipe for an exhuast, flat bill hat, and all the douchey stickers you can find. You want a brodozer....bro. Oh and blow obnoxious amounts of black smoke at every intersection.

This is a must.... you forgot the 8" lift too.

all jokes aside NFLESHER made alot of good points. IMO he would have talked me out of a diesel. From what I've seen (and you can read it on this thread) the people who are buying diesel nowadays almost make running them a hobby. If I can be 100% honest, I don't have time to wrench and program and everything else. I have them because I need them but if you're looking for a vehicle to just jump in and turn the key for the next 300,000 miles a gas will be better.

Everyone seems to really like cummins on here, of the three diesels they've been my best. I have a 2011 1-1/2 ton 5500 dually now that has a brand new DEF system and has had 2 injectors replaced. That's the biggest problem I've had with cummins, still doesn't compare to what I've spent on powerstrokes and Dmax's (although I have a 2009 dmax that has had less issues than either of my 2015's).

I do think that this new nissan titan xd might be the perfect recreational bridge between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 though.... sounds like a solid truck, time will tell on the motor but if it's like other cummins it should be decent

GKPrice

Banned
This is a must.... you forgot the 8" lift too.

all jokes aside NFLESHER made alot of good points. IMO he would have talked me out of a diesel. From what I've seen (and you can read it on this thread) the people who are buying diesel nowadays almost make running them a hobby. If I can be 100% honest, I don't have time to wrench and program and everything else. I have them because I need them but if you're looking for a vehicle to just jump in and turn the key for the next 300,000 miles a gas will be better.

Everyone seems to really like cummins on here, of the three diesels they've been my best. I have a 2011 1-1/2 ton 5500 dually now that has a brand new DEF system and has had 2 injectors replaced. That's the biggest problem I've had with cummins, still doesn't compare to what I've spent on powerstrokes and Dmax's (although I have a 2009 dmax that has had less issues than either of my 2015's).

I do think that this new nissan titan xd might be the perfect recreational bridge between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 though.... sounds like a solid truck, time will tell on the motor but if it's like other cummins it should be decent
I just read an article that stated that Toyota has made a deal for that Cummins V-8 now too, a turbo diesel Tundra sounds great
Personally I'm a Dodge Cummins guy, owned over a dozen over the years - Up to 2004 I can change the injectors in under 2 hours - that's the beauty of a Cummins I-6, SIMPLICITY and power, plenty without chips or programmers IMO

rbljack

WKR
Same here! I like my poor mans toy hauler/camper ;)

I must be on welfare than....mine is a 14 foot enclosed, two feet shorter than yours!

But so far Im liking mine its a 14 foot TPD model....14 feet with a generator compartment, roof AC, front storage, ladder and a roof I can stand/watch races on, 10 foot awning, side RV door, and rear ramp.

Works for us so far!!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I must be on welfare than....mine is a 14 foot enclosed, two feet shorter than yours!

But so far Im liking mine its a 14 foot TPD model....14 feet with a generator compartment, roof AC, front storage, ladder and a roof I can stand/watch races on, 10 foot awning, side RV door, and rear ramp.

Works for us so far!!

HAHA yeah mine has no such amenities. Literally just a box with wheels and a few lights here and there. ;)

I just picked up a 2500 Ram Cummins 2016. I really like it. I'm waiting for the 30K warranty to come up then I am ripping everything that has to do with the emissions off the truck.

It rides great, has great clearance, and just the right amount of features inside the truck. Empty highway mileage is around 19MPG. I get my diesel in TN a lot and I get it for around 1.85/gallon right now. It holds 30 gallons plus my drag up tank holds 75 gallons too.

12 Quarts of Royal purple every 20K miles with a wix filter and I am good to go. No problems yet.

I love the truck. But it is so choked back that it lacks a lot of the get up and go that I was used to.

Before this truck I had a 2011 Ram hemi JBA stainless headers, exhaust, cola air intake, diablosport programmer ect ect...

That truck would flat out smoke this cummins. I mean the get up and go was unreal. I never drove a gas truck with more power.

Now I have a cummins....its got the torque but I think when I gut the emissions off of it I am going to be a lot happier and dont even get me started on the DEF fluid... how stupid.

I just read an article that stated that Toyota has made a deal for that Cummins V-8 now too, a turbo diesel Tundra sounds great
Personally I'm a Dodge Cummins guy, owned over a dozen over the years - Up to 2004 I can change the injectors in under 2 hours - that's the beauty of a Cummins I-6, SIMPLICITY and power, plenty without chips or programmers IMO

Yea hopefully the days of buying a bullet proof diesel that doesn't need a ton of upkeep or a PHD in computer programming are back with these lighter duty trucks trending toward diesels. My office manager has a VW jetta diesel that she hasn't had to touch in comparison to the pickups we're running. Not sure why as the concept is the same. I'm by no means a mechanic but if a company could come out with a light duty, problem free diesel it should be a big hit and of the three right now cummins would be the one to do it.

Hokkaido

Banned
No matter how you shake it, a diesel won't make your dick any bigger, not matter what they tell ya!
Out-think the boneheads and make your wallet happy by buying an appropriate gas rig.

Hokkaido

Banned
Yea hopefully the days of buying a bullet proof diesel that doesn't need a ton of upkeep or a PHD in computer programming are back with these lighter duty trucks trending toward diesels. My office manager has a VW jetta diesel that she hasn't had to touch in comparison to the pickups we're running. Not sure why as the concept is the same. I'm by no means a mechanic but if a company could come out with a light duty, problem free diesel it should be a big hit and of the three right now cummins would be the one to do it.

They did that two decades ago but the US gov thought they knew better. Meanwhile the toyota 3000 turbo diesel took over the rest of the world.

They did that two decades ago but the US gov thought they knew better. Meanwhile the toyota 3000 turbo diesel took over the rest of the world.

True..... At one point I had 7 fords with a 7.3 ranging from 1996-1999 and my maintenance costs were less than if I'd have 7 prius's now.... I never had any high-pressure oil pump problems with them, I did on my 6.0 though, that was almost another $4k.

welpro222

WKR
I'm driving my old chevy 6.2 turbo diesel. I like being able to work on it myself when needed and it only cost as much as a newer trucks tires to fully rebuild the motor. If I had to pull a huge heavy trailer, I would op for a 1994+ dodge 12v cummins.

kicker338

WKR
I just picked up a 2500 Ram Cummins 2016. I really like it. I'm waiting for the 30K warranty to come up then I am ripping everything that has to do with the emissions off the truck.

It rides great, has great clearance, and just the right amount of features inside the truck. Empty highway mileage is around 19MPG. I get my diesel in TN a lot and I get it for around 1.85/gallon right now. It holds 30 gallons plus my drag up tank holds 75 gallons too.

12 Quarts of Royal purple every 20K miles with a wix filter and I am good to go. No problems yet.

I love the truck. But it is so choked back that it lacks a lot of the get up and go that I was used to.

Before this truck I had a 2011 Ram hemi JBA stainless headers, exhaust, cola air intake, diablosport programmer ect ect...

That truck would flat out smoke this cummins. I mean the get up and go was unreal. I never drove a gas truck with more power.

Now I have a cummins....its got the torque but I think when I gut the emissions off of it I am going to be a lot happier and dont even get me started on the DEF fluid... how stupid.

Are you aware that your new truck with the cummins has the 0bd2 emissions system on it just like cars do?? Good luck trying to get rid of the emission system on it.

It's actually quit easy to eliminate all the emissions garbage from a modern diesel motor. They run much more efficiently without all the 'help'.

Last edited:

Daniel_M

WKR
Agreed. I picked up an 08 Duramax at 21K miles and did the deletes, tuned and exhaust right out the gate. Added 30-130hp and getting almost 21mpg if i keep my foot out of it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
No matter how you shake it, a diesel won't make your dick any bigger, not matter what they tell ya!

Not sure who "they" are, but there is no correlation between either of those. However, when it comes to "lifted" diesels, 99 times out of 100 the guy I see getting in or out of one of those needs a booster seat to see over the steering wheel. These are also the same guys with the smoke tunes.