25 GT, is it the new 257 Roberts?

The Guide

WKR
I'm researching the 25 GT as a hunting cartridge. I see guys having good success with easy load accuracy and precision using the heavy 257 bullets. I saw brass on the G.A. Precision website and it got me looking at the possibility of using it as a hunting round. Something soft on the shoulder but built for the heavyweight bullets. Basically what a 257 Roberts would have been if it was designed today.

Would the 25 GT be that much better than the 6 GT? Is the 6 GT with the 109 ELDM the easy button? Is the 22 GT with the 88 ELDM heads and tails above the 6 and the 25 and should be the answer? I'm just thinking about something other than a Creedmoor or a lil magnum cartridge for a rifle with a 20" barrel that can still shoot across canyon when needed.

Jay

Already have a 223, a 6 ARC, a 6 CM, a 243, a 260...

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Wouldn’t a 25 CM make more sense since you have a 6mm CM? Just thinking about brass availability/compatibility of necking up.

I like the idea of all the 25 based cats with the new heavy for caliber bullets. I have always had a soft spot for the quarter bore for some reason.

OP
The Guide

The Guide

WKR
Wouldn’t a 25 CM make more sense since you have a 6mm CM? Just thinking about brass availability/compatibility of necking up.

I like the idea of all the 25 based cats with the new heavy for caliber bullets. I have always had a soft spot for the quarter bore for some reason.
I'm trying to keep it so that I have headstamped brass and like I said, something other than a Creedmoor case or a little magnum. A 25 CM or a 25 SST cartridge or a 257 Weatherby would be easier but I want a cartridge that is simple to load for and has modern design for accuracy.

Jay

25 GT sounds fun.

My 25 creedmoors have been the best shooting rifles and the easiest to load of anything I’ve loaded for. You could load a 25 creedmoor mild, and have excellent barrel and brass life. Or hot rod it and be on the heels of 6.5prc ballistics, I don’t see a compelling reason to go GT unless you just want to, which is also fair.

I have a 20 inch 6GT coming because it was on sale and it will primarily be a hunting rifle. If that wasn’t the case, I would def build a 25GT. My first deer rifle was a 257 Roberts and so I’ve always loved the 25s. All that said, my 25 creed is an absolute hammer that out performs my expectations. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the modern 25s and fast twist barrels.

OP
The Guide

The Guide

WKR
I bought a Remington 722 in 257 Roberts AI a couple years ago. It is a neat rifle with a beautiful wood stock and iron sights. I sent the bolt in and got it a different extractor installed since the original one sucked and chewed up the rims on all the brass. It came with some handloads with 85 NBT that shoot well. It is not something I want to mess with a whole bunch since it is a little piece of old school history.

I would like to find something in a 25 that can shoot the heavy bullets that is a little unique but still has headstamped brass with a modern case design that sips powder. There are a bunch of great cartridges that cover some aspects of what I'm looking for but not all. I do have some 25WSSM brass and ammo that I found last year. Maybe that is the answer? A mini magnum? Wonder if I could get it to work in a Howa Mini Action? Those WSSM cases are almost the size of a Grendel case. More to think about.

Jay

IMO it’s attractive for 26" barreled gamer guns who want minimal recoil and max BC and see benefit to lower velocity on trace/shot spotting but less so for a short barrel hunting rifle that will have slow velocities.

If you don’t want to 25 creed.. I’m a x47 fanboy https://alphamunitions.com/product/25x47/

But yeah, dont see much of a benefit vs 6 creed for hunting.

OP
The Guide

The Guide

WKR
IMO it’s attractive for 26" barreled gamer guns who want minimal recoil and max BC and see benefit to lower velocity on trace/shot spotting but less so for a short barrel hunting rifle that will have slow velocities.

If you don’t want to 25 creed.. I’m a x47 fanboy https://alphamunitions.com/product/25x47/

But yeah, dont see much of a benefit vs 6 creed for hunting.
I forgot about the x47 group. Also easy to load and generally shoot very well. Good call sir!

Jay