25-06 short barrel specs

I have decided to do something a bit different with a Mauser action I had sitting around. It’s an old Sears model 50, so it’s an FN commercial action that was chambered in 30-06.

I want to play around with pushing the Hornady 257 134 gr ELD-M bullet. I want to have it on the shorter side of things and threaded for a silencerco scythe.

I’m currently thinking a 25-06 1:8 twist and 17” threaded 1/2x28. I’m not certain what contour to have it profiled at though. Would like to make it as light as can be done reasonably.

Curious what thoughts people may have for how to do a modern quarter bore on a standard length Mauser.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Look up the stability factor for the bullet you want....

I would go with a 7 twist for the .257 heavies.

TxLite

WKR
I like the path you’re on. I think it’ll be a sweet setup.

Who makes stocks for Mausers? Boyd’s? Not sure what weight you’re looking to hit in your quest for light weight but that may be hard to achieve when starting with a Mauser vs something with more aftermarket availability

Rippey715

FNG
I don’t think 25-06 with the new heavy bullet options is going to be able to perform that well or at least it will be harder and more round about than other options.

25-06 is designed around seating lighter bullets deeper into the case and velocity above 3k. Short barrel means you’re not going to get that velocity. New bullets are specifically heavier for better accuracy. They are meant to be seated long and have more free bore and jumped.

To shoot the new heavies, go shorter barrel, and maintain velocity you’d probably need to look at the 25PRC or SAUM. BUT you have a Mauser action and standard bolt face and that is bad ass.

So from real world experience; I have a friend that has modernized a 250 Savage to shoot the 134s and run them up to 3k. Built a dummy round and throated the chamber until it had plenty of jump. It shoots great and you can buy virgin 250 Savage brass.

A Mauser shooting modern 250 Savage would be pretty badass.

Good Luck 👍

OP
K
On the stock, I will probably try to find one of the Mauser gunsmiths having carbon fiber stocks made on their molds.

As to the chamber, I hadn’t really thought that far into the throating. May have to see about what I can do different there. Looking at Gordon’s reloading tool, 17” should let me start it pretty close to 2700 fps with RL26

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Not certain what you mean by chamber geometry, but it will help add velocity because youll have more case volume. You need to keep the long bullet in front of the case shoulder area....

Im getting just over 3100fps with a 127gn HHT Hammer bullet, 7 twist, long throated, 26in bbl, 25-06ai chamber.

If you stay with the 25-06 caliber I do recommend ackley improving it. IMO throating long is essential to maximise case volume for velocity.

Its worth noting, the long heavy 257 bullets also have high sectional density for excellent penetration if thats an interest to you.

Look up the ballistics of the bullet you want in a ballistic calculator, with 3000fps muzzle velocity. You will be impressed at the downrange improvement. I think its well worth it to go heavy with the 25-06... but you have to maximize its velocity potential. I think with the right build choices you should be able to safely get at least 2900fps MV with the 130gn or heavier 257 bullets.

OP
K
High sectional density ELD-M bullets are all I’m using for hunting now. Most of my shooting is shorter range while on foot stalking, so I can accept the lower velocities in order to have a handier rifle. Will be using it with a scythe on the end, so 17” barrel will have me around 23”

I don’t think 25-06 with the new heavy bullet options is going to be able to perform that well or at least it will be harder and more round about than other options.

25-06 is designed around seating lighter bullets deeper into the case and velocity above 3k. Short barrel means you’re not going to get that velocity. New bullets are specifically heavier for better accuracy. They are meant to be seated long and have more free bore and jumped.

To shoot the new heavies, go shorter barrel, and maintain velocity you’d probably need to look at the 25PRC or SAUM. BUT you have a Mauser action and standard bolt face and that is bad ass.

So from real world experience; I have a friend that has modernized a 250 Savage to shoot the 134s and run them up to 3k. Built a dummy round and throated the chamber until it had plenty of jump. It shoots great and you can buy virgin 250 Savage brass.

A Mauser shooting modern 250 Savage would be pretty badass.

Good Luck 👍
So why would a 250 savage handle them and not a 25-06? I don’t believe 15ish grains will be a deal breaker since the 25-06 has about 20 more gains of case capacity.

I have decided to do something a bit different with a Mauser action I had sitting around. It’s an old Sears model 50, so it’s an FN commercial action that was chambered in 30-06.

I want to play around with pushing the Hornady 257 134 gr ELD-M bullet. I want to have it on the shorter side of things and threaded for a silencerco scythe.

I’m currently thinking a 25-06 1:8 twist and 17” threaded 1/2x28. I’m not certain what contour to have it profiled at though. Would like to make it as light as can be done reasonably.

Curious what thoughts people may have for how to do a modern quarter bore on a standard length Mauser.
Do it. You won’t be disappointed. I built a 257roberts AI and love it. You definitely want to go with a 7 twist for optimal results.