243 Scope Suggestions

My son just turned old enough to hunt we have a family Savage 99 243 that he's inheriting. I'd like to get him a new scope for the gun. Anyone have a favorite that takes abuse and shoots well? I was thinking of something in the 4-9x40ish range. Thoughts?

“Wisten to the whythmic whythm of the woodwinds as it wowws awound and awound…and it comes out here!” — Elmer Fudd

TN2shot07

WKR
My wife has a Leupold vx3 2.5-8 on hers, she liked it best out of everything we tried.

OP
S
Dang, I looked for an optic sub forum. If there's an admin that can move it, I'm all for it. I don't see it.

“Wisten to the whythmic whythm of the woodwinds as it wowws awound and awound…and it comes out here!” — Elmer Fudd

RMM

WKR
If you have some time, read through these scope evals that Form and Ryan do. There's some eye-opening information in them. Basically, the only reliable scopes on the market that won't fail, or have the least likelihood of failure, are Nightforce, SWFA, and Trijicon.

OP
S
What you should probably do is get him the same scope you have - he'll like that.
Ha no... I've got an old Bushnell that has done me well on my 270... which he doesn't want to shoot yet?! 30/30 was enough I guess... I want to get him some new tech. Leaning to the Trijicon.

OP
S
I'm really excited for him, maybe more than he is lol. He's good boy, growing up in an interesting time. I want to make sure and hand down what I see as some of the roots of America. I want to make sure it's a great experience.

Rich M

WKR
Ha no... I've got an old Bushnell that has done me well on my 270... which he doesn't want to shoot yet?! 30/30 was enough I guess... I want to get him some new tech. Leaning to the Trijicon.

Funny i had done a post about the big $ scopes that had failed me and how the Bushnell Banner never has. LoL!

30/30 and 243 are very close in recoil. Go figure.

Im sure he’ll like whatever you get him. Hope you guys have a great season.

you dont need to go crazy on that scope. remember..kids.. fall... drop stuff... anyway.. For my sons first gun i bought him a decent yet inexpensive redfield scope for his .243. Crazy enough.. that gun is still dialed. it shoots great. hell i may shoot it this weekend for my ca opener.

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
you dont need to go crazy on that scope. remember..kids.. fall... drop stuff... anyway.. For my sons first gun i bought him a decent yet inexpensive redfield scope for his .243. Crazy enough.. that gun is still dialed. it shoots great. hell i may shoot it this weekend for my ca opener.
Exact reason to get a scope that won't lose zero when your boy falls or drops his rifle. Reassurance insurance that your scope is still zeroed is priceless and won't cost him an opportunity.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I would go with a low power scope and find the lowest mounting option. I think leupold is one of the few to make a mount for the savage 99. Those stocks have a bunch of drop and a high mounted scope can be awkward.

OP
S
For the less expensive scopes, my uncle was saying he had good luck with the Burris full field and Bushnell Trophy.

OP
S
And thanks to the moderator for moving this thread!

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I've been really impressed with the Burris varasity PH scope I've had it on everything from my 338 win mag 243 308 .22 223 and a couple ar 15 and 10s very very impressed with the glass and the features of the electronics are wonderful it's a very easy system to use and even if your state doesnt allow you to use the electronic features he can just remove the battery and be legal. I've said it before in other posts but what I think really helps this scope be great is the simple ability to collect dope once you zero the rifle and have the system set up which is easy to do with the app go out to whatever distances you want I have a 1500 yard range set up at my place and I have targets set every 25 yards after 50 so I zero at 100 and I dial to each target distance fire and see where my impact is high low whatever if I'm happy with that I see where I'm at on my turret and write it down inside the scope the heads up display is set to yards and I just dial to my known distances collect the dope adjust if needed and then I have that dope card created for hunting season. Itll be a great scope to allow him to really reach out and touch things at great distances accurately while also learning how to collect data and use mil systems. I did a box tracking test with this scope on every rifle I've had it on and 10 of them repeated on my ar10 and it's been nothing but great in my opinion the quality and usability of this scope hits way above the 837.00 price point you can get them at.