#24 Self Deception: Can you really do it in the field?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@Formidilosus repeats, almost ad nauseum that the one of the biggest reasons we miss is that-- WE SUCK. Long range shooting is a specific skill, and there are many perishable elements of the skills, like building the position, trigger press, breathing, wind calling, etc. There is a reason his repetition is required, because the normal person believes they are the exception or they are special.

Self deception is real. We do it to ourselves as a natural way that our brain helps us through the world by reducing exertion/effort to conserved limited resources of all kinds. Rare exceptions to this rule are people like Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant that are singularly obsessed by winning, to prove it to themselves and do obscene amounts of work. How many people do you know that work as obsessively as Michael or Kobe on perfecting a skill? Our brains use self-deception to preserve energy and resources...

Without shooting in field conditions with some mental stress to prove your ability, then you are very likely lying to yourself. Its If you look through the cold bore challenge threads here and here, you'll see evidence of this, with many practiced shooters who tested themselves.

Early in my process of learning to shoot long range, I participated in some local PRS matches and a few two day matches. They gave me confidence that I could make shots, and at the same time humbled me because it proved that all my success at the range didn't directly translate.

Because my goal was to get prepared for the cold bore shot on a hunt, I started going into the field with my pack as if I were on a hunt. I hiked a bit and shot at rocks. That is ultimately what gave me confidence in my gear and skills. I proved it to myself.

I found that 20 single shots on 20 different rocks in 20 different situations was far more productive than any number of shots at the range. Variable shot angle, direction relative to sun, conditions of ground at final shooting position, etc. all make the field practice so valuable.

Here is a simple video way back when I started, just capturing a group while shooting in a seated tripod position. This video was made mostly to show friends around me what was possible in the field. The second video is from a hunt. There is lots to criticize, and I've made improvements and changes to my gear.

But, the fact of the matter remains that my field practice gave me extremely high confidence to take the blacktail at 575. As an aside, since then I have gone from a 7 SS to a .25SST to reduce recoil, for the reasons Form gives. I knew that I shot better with less recoil, and what those 7mm bullets did to deer was way more than necessary.

I grew up in Missouri, which is the "Show Me" state. I still have that streak in my personality, so, if you say you can do it go test yourself.

Last edited: