Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Totally, I am curious what separates this from a fieldcraft. Is it just more built for a person’s specific form?
Shootablilty, the Clymr design is great for all shooting positions. It's rare in the fact that it fits me and my wife very well. The FC stock is meh...

If you haven't shot a negative comb stock you don't know what you are missing.

madcalfe

WKR
Shootablilty, the Clymr design is great for all shooting positions. It's rare in the fact that it fits me and my wife very well. The FC stock is meh...

the clymr stock is nice. it would be nice if they make "the cut" cylmr stock available to buy for custom builds though. As much as i liked the feel of the clymr i wasn't willing to go with a 32oz stock for my mountain rifle build

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
the clymr stock is nice. it would be nice if they make "the cut" cylmr stock available to buy for custom builds though. As much as i liked the feel of the clymr i wasn't willing to go with a 32oz stock for my mountain rifle build

I agree, I wish they would offer it without that aluminum block in it.

But I will say my 6.5 PRC is a dream to shoot at 8.5 pounds. I have shot it a bunch out to 1500 yards and 800 yards shots are way too easy with it. I can spot almost all of my shots with or without a can on it.

@Jim Carr's daughter used it to crush this whitetail doe resting on a stump in fading light at 450 yards. It probably won’t be my last Clymr stock, it's the best stock I have ever used.

c8d4407be2c91d04d3bb4b65efb80d7a.jpg

264b0e269552c527abb9af733fb2d29a.jpg

0ca75b25ee34f24ea8ad943cbef7b16b.jpg

4fdb54a38d8c7e773cb4ac5376caea40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tdot

WKR

This 100%. I don't understand why there are so few stocks with a negative comb. It seems like such a simple and obvious feature to design into a stock. Many people shooting stocks with add-on stock bags, pads or cheek risers, would likely all benefit from a negative comb stock.

madcalfe

WKR
This 100%. I don't understand why there are so few stocks with a negative comb. It seems like such a simple and obvious feature to design into a stock. Many people shooting stocks with add-on stock bags, pads or cheek risers, would likely all benefit from a negative comb stock.
lol anyone shooting with a 50mm scope would benefit

madcalfe

WKR
True. I just figured the guys who'd already slapped something on to their stock were already looking for a better solution.
yea i don't know why other stock manufactures haven't caught on to the negative comb. I just use a neoprene bullet stock shell holder with a piece of foam from a scope box cut to height on my paradigm stock

SDHNTR

WKR
Another sucker born every minute! I have NO problem paying for premium quality. I have custom guns made by the finest big name builders in the country. Guns where I spared no expense to build the best. Yet, any one of them could build this rifle, spec’d exactly the same, for easily half the cost, or less.

For the life of me, I can’t understand why people are willing to pay $6-7k more for the Gunwerks brand name. Crazy.

freddyG

WKR
If I had $13,000 to spend on a rifle, it wouldn't include a Leupold VX6.

It's interesting to see Gunwerks push themselves to produce a better product. But I really would like it if they'd let the product speak for itself instead of such over hyped marketing BS. Spread tow carbon fiber is awesome stuff, but not hard to get ahold of. I've had kite boards and foils made from it for better part of 10 years. Ti actions have been around for quite awhile, and heavily milled parts for even longer. They finally hit a weight their Clymr rifle should have been at.

The most interesting portion of that build to me is the heavily contoured steel liner in their barrel.

Maybe it's just my age, but the name makes me think about the impending medical operation to help limit population growth.
A Leupold would not be my choice either. I wonder why they no longer use Nightforce? Too dependable? Lol

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Another sucker born every minute! I have NO problem paying for premium quality. I have custom guns made by the finest big name builders in the country. Guns where I spared no expense to build the best. Yet, any one of them could build this rifle, spec’d exactly the same, for easily half the cost, or less.

For the life of me, I can’t understand why people are willing to pay $6-7k more for the Gunwerks brand name. Crazy.
So you have compared them side by side with your "Custom Guns"? If not, all expenses have not been spared.

freddyG

WKR
So you have compared them side by side with your "Custom Guns"? If not, all expenses have not been spared.
Maybe on the rifle, but using a Leupold is sparing expenses IMO. That’s a lot of coin for something that might not be 100% reliable. When spending that kind of coin, I would expect that the buyers wouldn’t be happy with equipment problems.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Maybe on the rifle, but using a Leupold is sparing expenses IMO. That’s a lot of coin for something that might not be 100% reliable. When spending that kind of coin, I would expect that the buyers wouldn’t be happy with equipment problems.
Dude, I wouldn't trust a Lupy to stayed zeroed on my Red Rider.

SDHNTR

WKR
What am I missing then? Lone Peak TI, McM Edge and a Proof carbon barrel. Just one rough example of similar quality components. Innumerable smiths could put that together, weigh the same, and shoot just as well, for $5-6k or less. What makes this $7-8k different? With a questionable scope, no less? I’m not being a wise ass, I’m genuinely curious. Where is that extra several thousand bucks hidden??

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
What am I missing then? Lone Peak TI, McM Edge and a Proof carbon barrel. Just one rough example of similar quality components. Innumerable smiths could put that together, weigh the same, and shoot just as well, for $5-6k or less. What makes this $7-8k different? With a questionable scope, no less? I’m not being a wise ass, I’m genuinely curious. Where is that extra several thousand bucks hidden??

You do get a case, with some custom cut foam. You also get a custom load for your rifle... though would be curious if the custom load is for your specific rifle or if all The Cut in the same chambering get the same load. You then get to buy custom ammo at the Gunwerks markup. For some reason I think you also get a t-shirt, hat or jacket, don't remember which. There may be other items included, I don't recall.

I was super curious about Gunwerks maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Drove 3 hours out of my way to a dealer, while enroute to a hunt. Was not impressed. It actually started my journey into custom guns. But they are now different actions, stocks, barrels, etc I'd be curious to look them over in their current form and shoot them again. To see how they relate to my current customs.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
My beef with these concept custom rifles isn’t the price, look, etc. Although it is comical. Its the “hunters” that buy them thinking they can just hit the woods dial and shoot without extensive range time. I don’t care if you spend 100k on a rifle, if you’re wounding elk at 800 yards in a cross wind you’re pretty boy rifle is worthless next to a factory rifle with a skilled teenager behind it. Oh well, I’ve just seen it personally and it’s super cringe worthy. Guy shooting a gunwerks rifle 11 times before he hits an elk in the guts and at long range. I hope my experience is rare..

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
My beef with these concept custom rifles isn’t the price, look, etc. Although it is comical. Its the “hunters” that buy them thinking they can just hit the woods dial and shoot without extensive range time. I don’t care if you spend 100k on a rifle, if you’re wounding elk at 800 yards in a cross wind you’re pretty boy rifle is worthless next to a factory rifle with a skilled teenager behind it. Oh well, I’ve just seen it personally and it’s super cringe worthy. Guy shooting a gunwerks rifle 11 times before he hits an elk in the guts and at long range. I hope my experience is rare..
I use to think that same thing. "1000 Yards out of the box" was the slogan, it bugged me. But then I noticed that everyone with a Tikka and a turret scope was doing the same thing. That's not a Gunwerks issue that a human nature issue.