Yea, it's amazing to me that although Wal-mart now sells rifles that will shoot sub-MOA all day long for $400, people will still pay 20 times that amount for a rifle that shoots 1/4 MOA better and doesn't weigh any less.

If our economy has been in the tank, as some would have us believe, you could never tell it by the price people are willing to pay these days for toys.

Hey, we're all guilty to some degree. I could get by with a $400 Ruger American that shoots just as good as the rifle I'm building, but I don't want a Ruger American and I can finally afford what I want.
Yeah for me it was about reducing the risk of getting a non shooter.
It still happens.
I'm out of town 18 days or more a month for work.
Have to do chores, scout, be prepared to go on any tag, Archery, muzzy, rifle.
I've had rifles i had to chase to get to my minimum standards.
I just do not have the time energy or desire to be messing with stuff that much.

If you factor in my time and additional ammo/components cost it just much more efficient for me to just buy a nice custom rifle.

And after talking myself into it I absolutely love it.
I just copy the dummy round sent with the rifle and it just does what its supposed to.

I don't know many companies in the business to not make a margin. You could definitely piece together a nice rifle for less, and probably even keep it pretty light, but you'll be cutting corners on one or the other. Our approach here was absolutely pull out all the stops to cut weight and lose nothing for performance, cost of achieving that be damned. That extra 10% costs a lot to achieve. More engineering in the fluted firing pin than most gunsmiths or mfgs have in their entire shops. We're lucky to have an entire team of engineers to dive deep on projects like this.

It's definitely not for everyone. Way outta my price range, even working here! But for the guy with the funds who's dedicated to carrying the lightest high performance rifle out there, this fits the bill pretty nicely!

Are you going to sell the "cut" version of clymr component stocks?

Neat rifle, cool to see gunwerks pushing the envelope.

Landonm

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Are you going to sell the "cut" version of clymr component stocks?

Neat rifle, cool to see gunwerks pushing the envelope.
Good question. No doubt a bunch of the features we engineered for this project will make it into the ClymR in the future (new barrel profile, new bolt stop, TI hardward, etc., etc. The carbon we're using on this particular stock is a tough one. EXTREMELY expensive raw materials and difficult to come by. That one we'll have to wait and see. If so, it'll be a significant premium over the standard ClymR. But, man is it good!

Good question. No doubt a bunch of the features we engineered for this project will make it into the ClymR in the future (new barrel profile, new bolt stop, TI hardward, etc., etc. The carbon we're using on this particular stock is a tough one. EXTREMELY expensive raw materials and difficult to come by. That one we'll have to wait and see. If so, it'll be a significant premium over the standard ClymR. But, man is it good!
Seems like there is 5 ounces from a combo of lighter fill and different carbon. Even if just the lighter fill was used it would probably be nice in the existing clymr stock.

I noticed there is not weight listed anymore on the website for the stocks but the clymr stocks were just under 30 ounces if I recall correctly?

ChrisAU

WKR
Does it come with a bag for the wife?

clearheroimagetouseblack_1024x.png

madcalfe

WKR
I don't know many companies in the business to not make a margin. You could definitely piece together a nice rifle for less, and probably even keep it pretty light, but you'll be cutting corners on one or the other. Our approach here was absolutely pull out all the stops to cut weight and lose nothing for performance, cost of achieving that be damned. That extra 10% costs a lot to achieve. More engineering in the fluted firing pin than most gunsmiths or mfgs have in their entire shops. We're lucky to have an entire team of engineers to dive deep on projects like this.

It's definitely not for everyone. Way outta my price range, even working here! But for the guy with the funds who's dedicated to carrying the lightest high performance rifle out there, this fits the bill pretty nicely!
so 6.5lbs for a 7 saum scoped. minus the Leopold vx6 your roughly looking at what 5lbs 4oz if my math is correct? i mean its pretty easy to build a custom at that weight for thousands less. I just did one came out to 5lbs 2oz and not a single titanium piece was used and was 6500cdn all said and done.

so 6.5lbs for a 7 saum scoped. minus the Leopold vx6 your roughly looking at what 5lbs 4oz if my math is correct? i mean its pretty easy to build a custom at that weight for thousands less. I just did one came out to 5lbs 2oz and not a single titanium piece was used and was 6500cdn all said and done.

$6500 with scope and load data?

madcalfe

WKR
$6500 with scope and load data?
no just gun. but there asking 12,900 for that gunwerks. so add another 2000$ for scope and for the hell of it 300$ for "load data" if it takes more than 3 different factory ammo manufactures to get your custom to shoot right somethings up. so that would bring the total to 8,600$

In all seriousness, there’s no denying the engineering and exotic materials that went into this project. And, it’s not made for the utilitarian mountain hunter who we all know can get the same performance and weight out of a rifle that costs waaaay less.
But bloody hell, who thought that colorway went together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
If I had $13,000 to spend on a rifle, it wouldn't include a Leupold VX6.

It's interesting to see Gunwerks push themselves to produce a better product. But I really would like it if they'd let the product speak for itself instead of such over hyped marketing BS. Spread tow carbon fiber is awesome stuff, but not hard to get ahold of. I've had kite boards and foils made from it for better part of 10 years. Ti actions have been around for quite awhile, and heavily milled parts for even longer. They finally hit a weight their Clymr rifle should have been at.

The most interesting portion of that build to me is the heavily contoured steel liner in their barrel.

Maybe it's just my age, but the name makes me think about the impending medical operation to help limit population growth.

Last edited:

CoStick

WKR
I saw the this post about a thousand yard rifle that weighs 6.8 lbs scoped and thought it was another Fieldcraft thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally, I am curious what separates this from a fieldcraft. Is it just more built for a person’s specific form?

Totally, I am curious what separates this from a fieldcraft. Is it just more built for a person’s specific form?
The Cut is highly engineered and built with exotic materials. I'm sure 200 people will appreciate that and buy out both runs that are available. However if you are just concerned with the end result, which is a highly accurate 5 lb rifle, there are other ways to get there. In my case it is the Fieldcraft.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I respect the engineering and like the innovative thinking. I dont care for the colors though. I still can't bring myself to pay the gunwerks premium either. I'll stick with paying the caesar guerini and blaser premium on my shotguns though.

@Landonm
The main reason I dont buy a gun like this. If I have loved that gun correctly I will burn up the barrel. Then what? I wonder what it would take to get another custom barrel for that gun out of gunwerks. I'm afraid it would be in the 3k+ range.