.223 or 22 ARC Help me decide

What should I get?

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • 22 ARC

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
I am looking to get two small caliber setups. I have consumed plenty Rockslide and Shoot2hunt Kool-aid to want smaller calibers. The primary use will be plinking and smaller game. With very limited .223 at this point and only a low end AR platform I am not too heavily invested. I do not have any reloading components or dies for either yet. The goal is to get two identical bolt guns I can run a can on. Should I wait a few months and get the 22 ARC and the faster flatter cartridge with a little more range or go all in on 223?

If you’re going to load your own ammo then you’re not really gaining anything by going to 22 ARC in a bolt gun. Powder capacities are basically identical so going to ARC is just going to limit you on component availability really and ammo selection for no gain. ARC’s main benefit in a bolt gun is going to be the factory high BC ammo options but that’s not really applicable to your situation.

BR7.62

FNG
be interesting to see what factory rifles will be available in arc.
i'd love one but i have so much 5.56 im not sure i will.
so far i only see the ruger gen 2 and i imagine christensen will do one.
anybody else know who else might be chambering a factory rifle in it?

Unckebob

WKR
The 22 ARC is an attempt to get 22-250 velocities out of an AR magazine lenght cartridge.

Why not just get a 22-250?

Last edited:
If you’re going to load your own ammo then you’re not really gaining anything by going to 22 ARC in a bolt gun. Powder capacities are basically identical so going to ARC is just going to limit you on component availability really and ammo selection for no gain. ARC’s main benefit in a bolt gun is going to be the factory high BC ammo options but that’s not really applicable to your situation.

The 22 ARC has about 17% more powder capacity than a .223. That is pretty significant. Additionally, just like the 6ARC. while it may have been designed for a bolt gun, you can load it spicier in a bolt gun, so it will definitely outperform the .223.

Tikka has a fast twist 22-250. If I didn’t have young kids, I’d went that route. But any of them should be fun, 223, 22cm, 22arc, 22-250. Boils down to what bullet do you wanna shoot, and how fast do you wanna push it.

Just picked up one of those fast twist 22-250 barrels and will have it punched out for 22 creed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk