.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
This might be an unpopular opinion, but looking though many of the photos in this thread and it seems to me that a 223 with a 77 TMK is a bit more "gun" than I would like for big game hunting. Not that I don't like my critters DRT, but the meat damage is far more than most of my kills with more conventional calibers and tougher bullets.

Is there a 223 bullet that's a little more "goldilocks"? I don't want to drift to far away to the wrong end of the spectrum, but maybe something that still kills pretty well but with less bloodshot meat?

ElPollo

WKR
Gotta get to 10 posts to buy that thing homie. Quick before they miss out on the deal of a lifetime.
If it’s all about numbers of posts for being classified-approved, why not post something that provides a better impression? There are lots of people who’s post on Rokslide whose posts definitely ensure that I would never buy anything from them.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but looking though many of the photos in this thread and it seems to me that a 223 with a 77 TMK is a bit more "gun" than I would like for big game hunting. Not that I don't like my critters DRT, but the meat damage is far more than most of my kills with more conventional calibers and tougher bullets.

Is there a 223 bullet that's a little more "goldilocks"? I don't want to drift to far away to the wrong end of the spectrum, but maybe something that still kills pretty well but with less bloodshot meat?
The gold dot/fusion loads are probably what you're looking for. The nosler 64gr bonded seems to be another good performer.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Not unpopular at all. The 77gr TMK is a bit much on meat.

Federal 62gr Fusion or the identically constructed Speer Gold Dot 62 and 75gr.

The Guide

WKR
My kids just got called and activated for a damage hunt on whitetail does for next weekend. I'm going to see how the AAC 75 grain Sabre Blade Black Tips shoot in the RAR and maybe get some data points for performance on game. That rifle is very accurate with the 73 ELDM ammo so we might be able to get some additional data points with that bullet too.

Jay

Bugger

FNG
My kids just got called and activated for a damage hunt on whitetail does for next weekend. I'm going to see how the AAC 75 grain Sabre Blade Black Tips shoot in the RAR and maybe get some data points for performance on game. That rifle is very accurate with the 73 ELDM ammo so we might be able to get some additional data points with that bullet too.

Jay
Looking forward to the Sabre results.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider

I use Fusion 62gr when I hunt in the timber for this reason. Also have handloaded Gold Dots with the same performance.

Lawnboi

WKR
Do the waters mags come in the factory Tikka style or just aics? Have not really looked into them
They make both tikka single stack and aics. I have a 6 and 10 round 223 2.6” coal tikka mags and now 2 223 10 round aics 2.6” coal mags. All work awesome. I have multiple thousand rounds through the 223 tikka mags with zero issues. There’s posts in this thread somewhere on them.

They make both tikka single stack and aics. I have a 6 and 10 round 223 2.6” coal tikka mags and now 2 223 10 round aics 2.6” coal mags. All work awesome. I have multiple thousand rounds through the 223 tikka mags with zero issues. There’s posts in this thread somewhere on them.
So you’re saying they are worth the price tag then? Haha thanks for the info all