.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure if these have been posted before & quite frankly, I'm not trawling through 390+ pages to find out. 😆

For those who're thinking or wondering why to pick the TMK over the TGK (the Gameking being a 'hunting bullet' after all.....)

View attachment 739585View attachment 739586

That massive jacket difference is why the MK is so devastatingly effective & why the GK gives the mushroom, so beloved of the advertising folk.
I’m not a metallurgist but looking at the two jackets, the TMK looks like copper and the TGK looks more like brass. Could be just the picture. Does the TGK jacket seem harder, not just thicker?

Hypothesis….. This would add to mushrooming vs fragmentation.

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
I’m not a metallurgist but looking at the two jackets, the TMK looks like copper and the TGK looks more like brass. Could be just the picture. Does the TGK jacket seem harder, not just thicker?

Copper bullet jackets are almost always gilding metal, which is technically brass since it's some part zinc. 95/5 is typical.

robtattoo

WKR

They're not my photos, but I do know that the bullet halves were heated to cleanly melt out the lead, rather than prise out the cores & risk damaging the jackets.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
H4895 comfortably pushes the 77TMK to 2930 fps at the muzzle through my standard Tikka .223. Its still holding 1930 fps at 500 yards.
I wouldn't be comfortable squeezing any more out of it though.
What does your accuracy look like?

Great in my rifle
2206H (H4895) will become available first quarter next year after a long production pause due to it being reformulated

CMCctx

FNG
Does anyone have a lead on factory BH 77gr TMK? I - uh - burned through my stash faster than I could resupply. Got hooked on the stuff and told myself I could quit whenever I wanted to, it wasn't hurting anyone and it wasn't *really* a problem. Now my life is in shambles and I've even considered selling feet pics, but thought I'd do the rational thing like ask for help before I lost myself completely.

For shame.

ElPollo

WKR
Does anyone have a lead on factory BH 77gr TMK? I - uh - burned through my stash faster than I could resupply. Got hooked on the stuff and told myself I could quit whenever I wanted to, it wasn't hurting anyone and it wasn't *really* a problem. Now my life is in shambles and I've even considered selling feet pics, but thought I'd do the rational thing like ask for help before I lost myself completely.

For shame.
Reach out to @h2so4 . He is a black hills dealer and a Rokslide member. I bought a couple cases from him earlier this year. Good prices and good service.

Juan_ID

WKR
Great in my rifle
2206H (H4895) will become available first quarter next year after a long production pause due to it being reformulated
This is good news, that ones been very hard to find. I don’t have a need but I know a couple guys that would probably buy a few lbs or more.

Big_wals

WKR
First kill with 80 eldms this morning. 242 yards, impact velocity around 2170 fps (not a very fast load, I’m using varget out of a 16” barrel)

Shot her on the right side, good sized exit wound. Traveled around 40 yards, minimal blood trail. Lungs were shredded.

Attachments

• IMG_1080.jpeg
    IMG_1080.jpeg
    451.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    595 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1075.jpeg
    IMG_1075.jpeg
    651.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1078.jpeg
    IMG_1078.jpeg
    564.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1079.jpeg
    IMG_1079.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1077.jpeg
    IMG_1077.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 136

turbo406

FNG
Hey @Formidilosus with the influx of 22 arc I was wondering if it changes your thought process on the 223 rem for hunting, you had stated you liked the idea of a ar15 style rifle for rapid follow ups and the 22 arc offers a nice velocity gain over the 223 with around the same powder charge plus the ability to run the eldms that are available unlike the 77 tmk. Just thinking about how much meaner I can reload the 6 in a bolt gun that 22 might be a very good contender for a 16 inch super lightweight bolt gun

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Hey @Formidilosus with the influx of 22 arc I was wondering if it changes your thought process on the 223 rem for hunting,

Not even a little. The advantage of the 223r is cheap and massively available practice ammo.

you had stated you liked the idea of a ar15 style rifle for rapid follow ups and the 22 arc offers a nice velocity gain over the 223 with around the same powder charge plus the ability to run the eldms that are available unlike the 77 tmk. Just thinking about how much meaner I can reload the 6 in a bolt gun that 22 might be a very good contender for a 16 inch super lightweight bolt gun

The 22 arc is a great cartridge, but it is in no way a replacement or substitute for a 223 rem.

For shame.
Feet pics to fill mags is completely understandable in 2024.