.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Eagerly waiting on the Southern boys to get some more data on the 75 grain sabre blade from AAC...looks promising and the price is unbeatable for loaded ammo. Nothing is open for killin' up North or id do the dirty work myself

A friend just grabbed 500 of the 75gr projectiles (fun fact, mid south sells them) to start working up a load for pig management stuff. I expect we will have some initial within a week or two as we are pretty overrun with them here in south FL.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 733974
Big pig down with the 75 gr AAC Sabre ammo. I’ll continue to use this ammo for hogs and yotes through the offseason. The first round was on the run and hit in spin. Did not exit but obviously brought him down. One to the head to stop the squealing. Shit seems to fall when hit with the 75’s!

Video of the 75 grain Sabre for those who care. Both CSN shots so take that for what it’s worth. Second hog needed a finisher to the head

I know your post is nearly a year old but I am new to the thread and playing catchup to the rest of you.

That is absolutly beautiful county you get to hunt! I would have a hard time shooting 2 bucks at once in fear of cutting my trip short. I would wait a week... then shoot 2 at once. I would hate to leave that location! Thanks for sharing with us.
Thanks! It is gorgeous up here. I live here, so I don’t have to worry about cutting my trip short. If I’m lucky enough to get two at once, I can still go out again in another week or two and get two more.

pbroski

FNG
Sorry, no pictures but I did shoot a decent sized black bear with .223 and 77 TMK's this past spring season. The muzzle velocity was about 2975 fps and the bear was facing head on at about 125 yards. Hit it in the center of the chest. It dropped in it's tracks and died within seconds. There was what looked like about 2 quarts of blood on the ground underneath it. Very impressive! Not my first .223 bear kill, but was first with the 77's.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I am up to page 298! I feel like I am back in school and trying to get my reading done every day. I cannot find the barrel profile information on the Tikka T3x light. At what range are you still obtaining 1800 fps at a 16" 16.5" barrel and same goes for an 18" barrel.

Part 2: are you doing a 1/2" thread on the barrel profile or a 5/8" thread? (Is the barrel thick enough if cut to 16" or 18" for a 5/8" threading?)

I ask as I do not have any 223 dedicated suppressors. Mine are all 30 cal and take the 5/8" threading. I could used an adaptor thread but prefer not...

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I am up to page 298! I feel like I am back in school and trying to get my reading done every day. I cannot find the barrel profile information on the Tikka T3x light. At what range are you still obtaining 1800 fps at a 16" 16.5" barrel and same goes for an 18" barrel.

Part 2: are you doing a 1/2" thread on the barrel profile or a 5/8" thread? (Is the barrel thick enough if cut to 16" or 18" for a 5/8" threading?)

I ask as I do not have any 223 dedicated suppressors. Mine are all 30 cal and take the 5/8" threading. I could used an adaptor thread but prefer not...
Criterion shows the muzzle diameter as .610" at full length.

Take a pair of calipers and measure at 16 and 18 inches. I'm thinking no, though, for ⅝ threads. Good excuse for a .223 can.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Criterion shows the muzzle diameter as .610" at full length.

Take a pair of calipers and measure at 16 and 18 inches. I'm thinking no, though, for ⅝ threads. Good excuse for a .223 can.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Thank you. I do not have the Tikka yet. Have not been able to put my hands on one/taken the time to track one down to measure with calipers.

I am toying back and forth between converting an AR with a micro barrel and making it 16" threaded and add a stock or buy a Tikka and do the cut and thread.

I want the Tikka as I personally prefer the bolt. Bolts are quieter (no blowback noise and gas) and I tend to prefer the feel and handling. My pocket book like the idea of swapping a barrel and adding a stock. If I was able to do a 5/8" thread, that would be a pro for the Tikka!

Trying to justify the Tikka. If I go that route, I will end up putting it in a chasis so I can keep the weight down and have a light adjustable stock for me and squish it down for my daughter. (The AR is easier to adjust as that is how it would be built...)

My daughter is very young and like the idea of her running a bolt over a semi. Safety thing with young ones. She does great with her single shot 22lr on a tripod.

Just trying to get a rifle I can use and also very user friendly for my daughter. Any advise or suggestions.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. I do not have the Tikka yet. Have not been able to put my hands on one/taken the time to track one down to measure with calipers.

I am toying back and forth between converting an AR with a micro barrel and making it 16" threaded and add a stock or buy a Tikka and do the cut and thread.

I want the Tikka as I personally prefer the bolt. Bolts are quieter (no blowback noise and gas) and I tend to prefer the feel and handling. My pocket book like the idea of swapping a barrel and adding a stock. If I was able to do a 5/8" thread, that would be a pro for the Tikka!

Trying to justify the Tikka. If I go that route, I will end up putting it in a chasis so I can keep the weight down and have a light adjustable stock for me and squish it down for my daughter. (The AR is easier to adjust as that is how it would be built...)

My daughter is very young and like the idea of her running a bolt over a semi. Safety thing with young ones. She does great with her single shot 22lr on a tripod.

Just trying to get a rifle I can use and also very user friendly for my daughter. Any advise or suggestions.

I dealt with this with my kiddos too. They are 10, 8, 7. I started them all shooting when they hit 6. AR platform has been where I’ve landed for them. The adjustable length of pull for the biggest reason. I only put 1 round in the magazine when hunting. My son has taken 3 deer and my daughter 1 deer. All wjth ARs.

My primary deer gun for the kids is a 20” 223 wylde with a suppressor. They are all very accurate with it and enjoy shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElPollo

WKR

Part 1. Max effective range is determined by your load and your environmentals (mostly elevation and temperature. I am using factory Black Hills out of an 18” barrel and am averaging about 2750 fps at the muzzle. At my home elevation of 3300 and 90 degrees, I am hitting 1817 at 500 yards according to my ballistic app. If we figure 7500 ft and 35 degrees, I’m getting 1800 fps at about 550 yards. At sea level, 1800 fps is around 425 yards. All that said, I think effective range only comes into play for the majority of people if they are using bullets that have a much higher minimum upset or fragmentation velocity. Or at least it should.

Part 2. You can’t get 5/8” threads out of a T3x light or superlight without using a threaded collar, which is basically an adaptor that is milled down to your barrel shoulder with an enlarged shoulder. Regular adaptors work just fine. 30 cal cans work just fine too. Currently, I use a 30 cal AB Raptor that has 5/8” threads and use it with adaptors on a 223 that is threaded 1/2” and a 6.5 that is threaded 9/16”. There are lots of people who tell you <5/8” thread size, small shoulders, and adaptors are all dangerous. Those people really need get out and shoot more and internet less.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Part 2. You can’t get 5/8” threads out of a T3x light or superlight without using a threaded collar

While I’m not saying that someone should, or should not do it- you in fact can get 5/8-24 on a T3 lite barrel-

6.5cm cut to 20”, and threaded 5/8-24-
IMG_9867.jpeg

IMG_9869.jpeg

IMG_9868.jpeg

That rifle has somewhere above 4,500 rounds on that barrel in that configuration. I have had others threaded 5/8-24, and have shot a lot of them like that. These days I mostly have them threaded 9/16-24 with an adapter.

ElPollo

WKR
While I’m not saying that someone should, or should not do it- you in fact can get 5/8-24 on a T3 lite barrel-

View attachment 734560

View attachment 734561

View attachment 734562

That rifle has somewhere above 4,500 rounds on that barrel in that configuration. I have had others threaded 5/8-24, and have shot a lot of them like that. These days I mostly have them threaded 9/16-24 with an adapter.
Thanks Form. I should restate. Most gunsmiths will not cut a 5/8” thread for a suppressor on these barrels because it doesn’t leave much of a shoulder. Evidently, it can work though.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks Form. I should restate. Most gunsmiths will not cut a 5/8” thread for a suppressor on these barrels because it doesn’t leave much of a shoulder. Evidently, it can work though.

I have a couple smiths that don’t care because they understand how/what will stop the suppressor moving. But, as you said most won’t. And on a 223, I would absolutely do a 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapter. It’s simple and easy.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I dealt with this with my kiddos too. They are 10, 8, 7. I started them all shooting when they hit 6. AR platform has been where I’ve landed for them. The adjustable length of pull for the biggest reason. I only put 1 round in the magazine when hunting. My son has taken 3 deer and my daughter 1 deer. All wjth ARs.

My primary deer gun for the kids is a 20” 223 wylde with a suppressor. They are all very accurate with it and enjoy shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! So simple... only put 1 round in the mag! I am the ding bat that says... if it can hold 30, I take 30! Thought proccess: if you do not see deer, take revenge on the squirrels!

I may give that a shot. Toss on a different barrel and adjustable stock and see how she does. She is a bit smaller and younger. Mine turns 4 this week. But she is very cautious and careful and loves shooting water bottles. (We put 2 to 3 drops of food color to make it fun and identify the different targets.) I will start her with racoons and hogs before deer. After reading this thread, I think the 77 TMK is the ticket for her.
Part 1. Max effective range is determined by your load and your environmentals (mostly elevation and temperature. I am using factory Black Hills out of an 18” barrel and am averaging about 2750 fps at the muzzle. At my home elevation of 3300 and 90 degrees, I am hitting 1817 at 500 yards according to my ballistic app. If we figure 7500 ft and 35 degrees, I’m getting 1800 fps at about 550 yards. At sea level, 1800 fps is around 425 yards. All that said, I think effective range only comes into play for the majority of people if they are using bullets that have a much higher minimum upset or fragmentation velocity. Or at least it should.

Part 2. You can’t get 5/8” threads out of a T3x light or superlight without using a threaded collar, which is basically an adaptor that is milled down to your barrel shoulder with an enlarged shoulder. Regular adaptors work just fine. 30 cal cans work just fine too. Currently, I use a 30 cal AB Raptor that has 5/8” threads and use it with adaptors on a 223 that is threaded 1/2” and a 6.5 that is threaded 9/16”. There are lots of people who tell you <5/8” thread size, small shoulders, and adaptors are all dangerous. Those people really need get out and shoot more and internet less.
Thank you for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for! I should have mentioned that we are 93' elevation (sea level!). That directs me to the 18" barrel as I was wanting to hit 400 - 450 yards to cover a hay field where hogs have always loved coming in and "tilling" just before we cut. I will stay away from the 16/16.5" barrel as it looks like I would loose too much velocity.

Funny thing is, it is the suppressor dealer that told me the adaptor would be the ticket and go that route and sold me the adaptor!

I will save the $ and modify my current AR platform with an 18" barrel, light and adjustable stock and take the $ I save from buying a Tikka/cut/thread/chassis to buy a 223 can. I have some in jail right now. If I place another order, perhaps it will get batched with the others!

I truely appreciate the guidance!

View attachment 734560

View attachment 734561

View attachment 734562

Yep, my T3X lite stainless 6.5 creed is cut to 18" with 5/8x24 threads.

Helislacker

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 734560

View attachment 734561

View attachment 734562

4500 rounds with a 6.5 cm? Do you consistently see higher than average barrel life with Sako barrels?