.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Here is an entry from a 77TMK at 150 yards shot through very light brush. Nothing thicker than a little finger and the deer quite visible. Obviously tumbling or unstable. I couldn't see any evidence of broken or damaged twigs but obviously deflected.

View attachment 720010View attachment 720011
I've had a very similar entry from a 75gr ELD from sub 20 yards through brush.1B700364-F1FD-44B0-B5E9-6032F30FF0A2.jpeg

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I fail to see how you could reasonably make any conclusions from that article other than deflection happens.

As stated, I’m looking for more scientific data.

If the intent is shooting something you can barely see at 50 yards I would question whether that is a safe practice to pursue in the first place.

That’s not the intent.

Shraggs

WKR
A 223 w/77 tmk, specifically have taken oddles if big game - pigs, deer and elk, one elk at 803 yards by Form of course.

Thegman takes the holy grail threshold of “enough” gun for general big game by taking a medium grizzly with a not ideal shot and it drops dead in 50 yards… yet questions of ethics exist about the lack of lethality due to low ft pounds of energy.

Could pnwgator, form, thegman shoot the next level?

I saw on tv this island, it has dinosaurs - I’m think a 12 ton t-Rex. Would this get the community thinking…

Thoughts?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
A 223 w/77 tmk, specifically have taken oddles if big game - pigs, deer and elk, one elk at 803 yards by Form of course.

Thegman takes the holy grail threshold of “enough” gun for general big game by taking a medium grizzly with a not ideal shot and it drops dead in 50 yards… yet questions of ethics exist about the lack of lethality due to low ft pounds of energy.

I saw on tv this island, it has dinosaurs - I’m think a 12 ton t-Rex. Would this get the community thinking…

Thoughts?

I would move right outside the park if a T-Rex existed.

TML75

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved

Thoughts?
A Tikka is probably more reliable than the SPAS12s they issue on that island.

Shraggs

WKR
I would move right outside the park if a T-Rex existed.
May I come? We could pick off those pesky little velociraptors that escape the fence.

I’ll use my 223/77 I like the insurance of a little more ft pounds than an arrow.

Maybe Form could use a handicap with me there, my toddlers old daisy Red Ryder, but to be fair it pulls left.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
We’re saying more or less the same thing even if I phrased it poorly. All the tests are 1 bullet or one group, all say results are going to be erratic because you hit different twigs every time, and all say “dont shoot thru brush”. Unfortunately shooting through a LOT of brush—it may not be as thick as what some picture all the time, but shooting through tiny windows in a wall of brush many yards thick would not be at all an exaggeration—is as normal as can be in some places. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, sometimes the bullet actually makes it through the window, but its never “controlled” enough to say why.

Photos for humor, not to make any point. Fwiw both were 250grain 45cal copper monos (barnes t-ez) fired from a muzzleloader at 45-70ish velocity, and neither connected with the deer on the other side. Neither is “brush” and neither was fired “through brush” intentionally, but it seemed a good time to drag them out.

View attachment 719931View attachment 719932

I don’t have a picture of the tree, but I saw a buck killed by a 30-06 where the bullet passed through a trunk sized about between what’s in your pictures. The shot was probably 50yds with the deer 10 feet or so behind the trunk struck by the bullet. Can’t remember if it was a hardwood or softwood. I know it’s totally anecdotal but I was pretty amazed. I don’t plan to shoot through trees and didn’t run out and buy a 30-06 or anything.

Nonetheless, I’m interested in what science has to say about deflection. It’s a hunting reality for my situation, and while the deltas might not be worth pursuing, physics always does it’s part. I wish there was more data.

f07a9a0c968cbecb2e9ac11ba02cb6f3.jpg

223 on walrus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At this point we have to ask if the blood in the water is bait for Jaws

Thegman

WKR
I don’t have a picture of the tree, but I saw a buck killed by a 30-06 where the bullet passed through a trunk sized about between what’s in your pictures. The shot was probably 50yds with the deer 10 feet or so behind the trunk struck by the bullet. Can’t remember if it was a hardwood or softwood. I know it’s totally anecdotal but I was pretty amazed. I don’t plan to shoot through trees and didn’t run out and buy a 30-06 or anything.

Nonetheless, I’m interested in what science has to say about deflection. It’s a hunting reality for my situation, and while the deltas might not be worth pursuing, physics always does it’s part. I wish there was more data.
A few years ago on Kodiak, I called in a decent 3x3. It was in the alders, but I had a wide and open lane.

When he was about 50 yards I shot center of chest. Tikka 30-06 w/150 ETips. Nothing...wtf?

Fortunately, for a hunter like me, Sitka Blacktails are kinda dumb. He pauses, probably thinking "wtf?" as well, but then continues walking to me. Second shot worked. I found a single small alder branch that had been clipped by the first shot and at least I felt better about my shooting.

As I said earlier, I've seen plenty of tracers take an instant, sharp 60° turn, usually down to the right, when shooting through brush and twigs. It doesn't take much.

Most do make it through unscathed, but just know that shooting through any brush is, literally, a crap shoot.