.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

JJ3

FNG
Not exactly like for like, but if you want to spend some time on YouTube, this guy spent a lot of time trying to clone mk262 77gr ammo. Lots of different powder tried.
I Watched that whole playlist and ended up in the exact same place with a different method after. My go to bulk load is 25.2 A2520 under 77smk, 75hpbt and 77 ncc or what ever 73-77gr I have available.

I even took my buck this year with a 73eldm over same charge in LC brass.

I Watched that whole playlist and ended up in the exact same place with a different method after. My go to bulk load is 25.2 A2520 under 77smk, 75hpbt and 77 ncc or what ever 73-77gr I have available.

I even took my buck this year with a 73eldm over same charge in LC brass.
Have you compared it in hot vs cold?

JJ3

FNG
Have you compared it in hot vs cold?
Yes….about 1fps per degree. A2520 is temp sensitive for sure and can have pretty big spikes at max load in the sticky hot summer. This particular load doesn’t have that issue in my guns.

I also have a A2520 55sp load that shoots lights out but I don’t remember the charge off hand. My oldest son took his first deer with it out of a 18” ar. Perfect shot behind shoulder at 40y and ran 30after. No drama.

Honestly have yet to loose one to a .223 in our sample size of about a dozen. Hunting mentor buddy always has a reason it won’t work next time though.

Yes….about 1fps per degree. A2520 is temp sensitive for sure and can have pretty big spikes at max load in the sticky hot summer. This particular load doesn’t have that issue in my guns.

I also have a A2520 55sp load that shoots lights out but I don’t remember the charge off hand. My oldest son took his first deer with it out of a 18” ar. Perfect shot behind shoulder at 40y and ran 30after. No drama.

Honestly have yet to loose one to a .223 in our sample size of about a dozen. Hunting mentor buddy always has a reason it won’t work next time though.
I’ve got a buddy who’s the same first a 243 wasn’t enough then the 223 wasn’t enough then it may work on a little hill deer at 150 but definitely not on anything bigger or any farther away. lol. His 308 and 270 just have so much more stopping power!

Odd1out

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use lapua and have since switched to starline. I’d say use what you got, I’ve also used pmc brass from 55gr factory ammo. It worked just fine too but only lasted about 5 firings. I’m up to 4x on some of the starline and it still seems tight.
Starline brass with cci 400s or should i look for other primers?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Starline brass with cci 400s or should i look for other primers?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
I know others will tell you yes but I actually liked the cci400s. I never had any issues with pierced primers, I was running into 5.56 pressure territory with them as well. I bought a bunch of 450s because the consensus was they were the better pick but I have had more trouble with them than the 400s. If I had 400s I would be loading them.

Lawnboi

WKR
If I had 400s I’d load them with the understanding they are thinner.

I’d also be more careful around heat and moisture.

For all around field rounds I like the 450 or 205 to give a little extra buffer in the rain and sun.

Jimbee

WKR
I went through close to 2k of cci 400s loaded in range brass and ADI brass with no issue. Seems they flatten pretty easy...?

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I went through close to 2k of cci 400s loaded in range brass and ADI brass with no issue. Seems they flatten pretty easy...?
Yeah they flatten easy so reading primers is about useless with them but I could load to ejector marks on the head and still never had one give up. I can’t remember how many thousand I went through but I want to say it was around 4k total if memory serves me right.

Lately rem 7 1/2s have been available and they have been working very well for me.

gman82001

WKR
Got to shoot my RS special finally just enough to get it close to zero then fired a few 3 rd groups with 69gr rmr bullets and 24.0 tac. 2 groups were both .65” and the third was exactly 1.0”.

New garmin chrono said we were at 2810 with an 28fps std. deviation Felt that was pretty good so came in and loaded 100 more and will hopefully get to shoot them soon if the wind ever decides to calm down a bit.

Once it’s broke in I’ll start Messing with some 77gr after I take it to thunderbeast arms to chop and thread. Thinking 18” will be a good length

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpeg
    IMG_0815.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0817.jpeg
    IMG_0817.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 35
Got to shoot my RS special finally just enough to get it close to zero then fired a few 3 rd groups with 69gr rmr bullets and 24.0 tac. 2 groups were both .65” and the third was exactly 1.0”.

New garmin chrono said we were at 2810 with an 28fps std. deviation Felt that was pretty good so came in and loaded 100 more and will hopefully get to shoot them soon if the wind ever decides to calm down a bit.

Once it’s broke in I’ll start Messing with some 77gr after I take it to thunderbeast arms to chop and thread. Thinking 18” will be a good length
I'm thinking 18 for mine as well.