.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Starline brass with cci 400s or should i look for other primers?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
I know others will tell you yes but I actually liked the cci400s. I never had any issues with pierced primers, I was running into 5.56 pressure territory with them as well. I bought a bunch of 450s because the consensus was they were the better pick but I have had more trouble with them than the 400s. If I had 400s I would be loading them.

Lawnboi

WKR
If I had 400s I’d load them with the understanding they are thinner.

I’d also be more careful around heat and moisture.

For all around field rounds I like the 450 or 205 to give a little extra buffer in the rain and sun.

Jimbee

WKR
I went through close to 2k of cci 400s loaded in range brass and ADI brass with no issue. Seems they flatten pretty easy...?

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I went through close to 2k of cci 400s loaded in range brass and ADI brass with no issue. Seems they flatten pretty easy...?
Yeah they flatten easy so reading primers is about useless with them but I could load to ejector marks on the head and still never had one give up. I can’t remember how many thousand I went through but I want to say it was around 4k total if memory serves me right.

Lately rem 7 1/2s have been available and they have been working very well for me.

gman82001

WKR
Got to shoot my RS special finally just enough to get it close to zero then fired a few 3 rd groups with 69gr rmr bullets and 24.0 tac. 2 groups were both .65” and the third was exactly 1.0”.

New garmin chrono said we were at 2810 with an 28fps std. deviation Felt that was pretty good so came in and loaded 100 more and will hopefully get to shoot them soon if the wind ever decides to calm down a bit.

Once it’s broke in I’ll start Messing with some 77gr after I take it to thunderbeast arms to chop and thread. Thinking 18” will be a good length

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpeg
    IMG_0815.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0817.jpeg
    IMG_0817.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 35
Got to shoot my RS special finally just enough to get it close to zero then fired a few 3 rd groups with 69gr rmr bullets and 24.0 tac. 2 groups were both .65” and the third was exactly 1.0”.

New garmin chrono said we were at 2810 with an 28fps std. deviation Felt that was pretty good so came in and loaded 100 more and will hopefully get to shoot them soon if the wind ever decides to calm down a bit.

Once it’s broke in I’ll start Messing with some 77gr after I take it to thunderbeast arms to chop and thread. Thinking 18” will be a good length
I'm thinking 18 for mine as well.

The brass ADI used in their Australian outback ammo brass was great. Current ADI brand ammo doesn’t measure as consistent but I haven’t shot enough of it to say if that is an issue or not.
Do the loads seem to be the same between Australian Outback and current ADI? I had tried some AO 223 55gr Blitzking with a previous rifle and it by far out shot any other factory ammo in that one. I wanted to try that same load in this new Tikka so I bought some ADI. In your experience did the performance change along with the name?

BLJ

WKR
1709575646210.jpeg

This is 8 from a Tikka 20” compact of the current production ADI 69’s.
My RAR 5.56 shoots them basically the same.

Shot off the bench with bipod and rear bag at 100 yards.

Last edited:

TOLeary

WKR
Read first. Trust me. You will find this 223/TMK combo does a lot more damage than you think it should. It’s actually a solid option for big game way further than 200 yards. Reading this thread will challenge a lot of your preconceived notions about energy, bullet diameter and mass. It presents a lot of actual results from the field. That is something you rarely find related to ballistics. Most of what we think we know about ballistics is just stuff people have said for decades with no actual data. The final message of this thread isn’t that a 223 is magic. It’s that bullet diameter and mass have less impact on bullet performance than bullet design, and big heavy recoiling cartridges are not needed 99.99% of the time.
Appreciate the synopsis haha it’s a shit ton to go through. Couple questions - i thought i read that the 77gr TMK 223 is good 600 and under. Did I read that correct? What happens over 600yrds? Also do TMK bullets in larger bullets do the same amount of damage just scaled up because it’s larger?

Appreciate the synopsis haha it’s a shit ton to go through. Couple questions - i thought i read that the 77gr TMK 223 is good 600 and under. Did I read that correct? What happens over 600yrds? Also do TMK bullets in larger bullets do the same amount of damage just scaled up because it’s larger?
More precisely it's good at an impact velocity of 1800fps or higher. Exactly what range that happens depends on the particular load and barrel.