.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
I'm headed to south Texas next week for a few days of spot & stalk hog hunting. My .223 is coming along for a couple of spots with longer shot options & to try a few sits.
Fingers crossed & I'll report back later with some autopsy shots.

Necropsy pics not autopsy pics.
Sorry - I was feeling pedantic when I saw your post.
Best of luck in Texas!

Guess I’ll jump on the pedantic bandwagon.
If we must pick nits, and if said nits are dead, we could do a necropsy on the little fellas, or an autopsy.

Seems the AMERICAN COLLEGE OF VETERINARY PATHOLOGISTS encourages us to allow for the more “humanized” term autopsy, when discussing post-mortem examination on an animal, thus leading to better communication.
Just attempting to expand our social awareness. Certainly we want to avoid potential PC violations. 😉

Question... autopsy was specifically chosen because of the American veterinary College of pathologists?

Last edited:

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t say for sure why @robtattoo chose the word autopsy over necropsy. But….

It just seems like, if the dudes who teach others how to make a living out of studying sick, dying and dead animals say an animal post-mortem can be called an autopsy, then that should at least give Rob a leg to stand on for his choice.
Texas hog shooters feelings count. I was just trying to provide some pedantic cover. 🤣

robtattoo

WKR
No hogs were inconvenienced last weekend.
Drier than a popcorn fart in South Texas. ☹️

Necropsy pics not autopsy pics.
Sorry - I was feeling pedantic when I saw your post.
Best of luck in Texas!

Guess I’ll jump on the pedantic bandwagon.
If we must pick nits, and if said nits are dead, we could do a necropsy on the little fellas, or an autopsy.

Seems the AMERICAN COLLEGE OF VETERINARY PATHOLOGISTS encourages us to allow for the more “humanized” term autopsy, when discussing post-mortem examination on an animal, thus leading to better communication.
Just attempting to expand our social awareness. Certainly we want to avoid potential PC violations. 😉

Can’t say for sure why @robtattoo chose the word autopsy over necropsy. But….

It just seems like, if the dudes who teach others how to make a living out of studying sick, dying and dead animals say an animal post-mortem can be called an autopsy, then that should at least give Rob a leg to stand on for his choice.
Texas hog shooters feelings count. I was just trying to provide some pedantic cover. 🤣

Irregardlessly.......🖕🏼😄

Whichever Opsy it's supposed to be, said opsy was unnecessary.

Of course there is, however it’s the same false equivalency as saying a groundhog is the same as a deer.

So you’ve shot game animals with 88gr ELD-M’s? Because this is what you wrote-

You do not mention “game” animals- groundhogs and coyotes are not game animals- that would be antelope, deer, bear, elk, moose, etc.

Furthermore you state

So, have you personally killed antelope, deer, bear, elk, or moose with the 88gr ELD-M? Or have you watched those animals killed with one and opened the animal up and inspected the wound channel?
You are not going to get into an intellectually honest conversation with they.

cod0396

FNG
I've never used the 88gr ELD-M on game, but I have seen a single gel test of it on youtube. The conclusion was that is was a very mediocre performer at .223 velocities, unlike the 77gr TMK. I'm assuming that means roughly 2500fps. I know it's a completely different animal in the 22 creedmoor, but that result is very strange considering that most ELD-M or TMK bullets tend to perform quite well in that mid 2000s range.

I am aware that gel is not an animal, so does anyone have any experience with the 88gr ELD-M at more moderate impact velocities?

Last edited:
The creedmoor sports American Bullet Company ones don’t look like seconds that I can see. When I’ve got seconds in the past the tips are usually banged up or other weird obviously issues. Looking forward to loading these 77gr TMK up! FYI I think folks on this thread bought them out, since they were OOS pretty dang quick.
I bought 500 and just got them today. They certainly look like TMKs.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
What if you were hunting deer, and you squeezed the trigger, but you didn’t notice the rockchuck bodyguard by the buck, and he leaped into the air to intercept the bullet, giving his life for the buck’s? But of course the bullet exited and struck the buck anyway?

How would you expect the bullet to perform?

P
The real performance trophy would go to rockchuck even though he would not live to receive the reward.

dmike

FNG
77 TMK whitetail doe quartering away, around 125 yards. Entry behind left shoulder, there was some sort of exit out the front, and jacket was found in the opposite side hide if I recall correctly. Made it 20 yards and piled up.

It did some pretty gnarly stuff to 5 ribs as it passed through, so figured I'd share.
IMG_3773 Large.jpegIMG_9175 Large.jpegIMG_3777 Large.jpegIMG_3776 Large.jpeg
entrance:
IMG_3779 Large.jpeg
opposite side:
IMG_3778 Large.jpeg

N2TRKYS

WKR
77 TMK whitetail doe quartering away, around 125 yards. Entry behind left shoulder, there was some sort of exit out the front, and jacket was found in the opposite side hide if I recall correctly. Made it 20 yards and piled up.

It did some pretty gnarly stuff to 5 ribs as it passed through, so figured I'd share.
View attachment 542300View attachment 542303View attachment 542304View attachment 542306
entrance:
View attachment 542305
opposite side:
View attachment 542307
How was the blood trail?

gman82001

WKR

View attachment 542300View attachment 542303View attachment 542304View attachment 542306
entrance:
View attachment 542305
opposite side:
View attachment 542307
Just wondering caliber and load specs? Velocity if you know?