.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Lawnboi

WKR
Well now we know where all the 77s are

Edit: looks like they are just Sierra seconds with a new label.

Last edited:

FZMT

FNG
Well now we know where all the 77s are

Edit: looks like they are just Sierra seconds with a new label.

On the website they describe them as “all first run bullets, with no blems or seconds”. The 55gr bullets from the article are called out as seconds.

Lawnboi

WKR
I would bet they are a lot of 77tmk's that are riding the line of being within acceptable tolerance that sierra decided to dump. Creedmoorsports buys alot of sierra 2nds.
I can’t bring myself to buy the seconds, especially at that price.

Luckily I’m able to hold tight and wait, and am not out of them.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
The creedmoor sports American Bullet Company ones don’t look like seconds that I can see. When I’ve got seconds in the past the tips are usually banged up or other weird obviously issues. Looking forward to loading these 77gr TMK up! FYI I think folks on this thread bought them out, since they were OOS pretty dang quick.

The creedmoor sports American Bullet Company ones don’t look like seconds that I can see. When I’ve got seconds in the past the tips are usually banged up or other weird obviously issues. Looking forward to loading these 77gr TMK up! FYI I think folks on this thread bought them out, since they were OOS pretty dang quick.
The Creedmoor site is still showing them as available. Did you put an order in and have it backordered?

grfox92

WKR
The reasons why manufacturers don’t recommend certain bullets for hunting that absolutely perform superbly has been discussed in this thread and they “why match bullets for hunting” thread.

The 168gr ELD-M’s are fantastically killing bullets.
Thanks Form, I went back and re read the Match bullets for hunting thread and found some stuff thay I had read I'm the past, but must have forgot.

I'm going to mount my new Rockchucker and load up the 168g ELDM as my first bullets I have ever reloaded and see how they fly, fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Floridave

FNG
The Creedmoor site is still showing them as available. Did you put an order in and have it backordered?

I placed an order for 500. It seems they show as available and looks like my order was accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 88gr ELD-M at like impact velocities perform very similar to the 77gr TMK in game. Using groundhogs as a surrogate for large game does not work for a variety of reasons.

I’ve shot enough groundhogs and deer with the same bullets to see a pattern when something works well. It’s small game but it’s hitting flesh which causes the bullet to open via hydraulics. You can still see from a groundhog when the bullet is beginning to expand.

If you shoot a groundhog with something and it makes an entry wound crater or it just pencils through with no expansion or fragmentation then it’s not going to make a good big game bullet. This isn’t rocket science even though hunters are finally figuring out how bullets work.

We already have had someone on this forum kill an elk with the 88s and said they worked good. I believe it might’ve even been posted in this thread as well.

dmike

FNG
500s came back in stock and are now OOS again. looks like it's just down to the 100s.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I’ve shot enough groundhogs and deer with the same bullets to see a pattern when something works well. It’s small game but it’s hitting flesh which causes the bullet to open via hydraulics. You can still see from a groundhog when the bullet is beginning to expand.

If you shoot a groundhog with something and it makes an entry wound crater or it just pencils through with no expansion or fragmentation then it’s not going to make a good big game bullet. This isn’t rocket science even though hunters are finally figuring out how bullets work.

Ok. So when I use a Barnes TTSX on a squirrel and it just pencils through, I guess that it’ll just pencil through a deer too?

One of us is guessing what the 88gr ELD-M does in game animals, one of us isn’t.

Ok. So when I use a Barnes TTSX on a squirrel and it just pencils through, I guess that it’ll just pencil through a deer too?

One of us is guessing what the 88gr ELD-M does in game animals, one of us isn’t.

There’s a big difference between a squirrel and a groundhog, and yes, Barnes will expand in a groundhog. I’ve shot game animals with 88 ELD’s, I’m not guessing a thing.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm headed to south Texas next week for a few days of spot & stalk hog hunting. My .223 is coming along for a couple of spots with longer shot options & to try a few sits.
Fingers crossed & I'll report back later with some autopsy shots.
Necropsy pics not autopsy pics.
Sorry - I was feeling pedantic when I saw your post.
Best of luck in Texas!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
There’s a big difference between a squirrel and a groundhog, and yes, Barnes will expand in a groundhog.

Of course there is, however it’s the same false equivalency as saying a groundhog is the same as a deer.

I’ve shot game animals with 88 ELD’s, I’m not guessing a thing.

So you’ve shot game animals with 88gr ELD-M’s? Because this is what you wrote-

I shot some groundhogs and coyotes with 224 Valkyrie 88gr ELDM factory ammo. No way would I use those things on a big game animal. Based on my experience with them and what I've seen people post pics of in this thread they absolutely are not a substitute for 77gr TMK's.

You do not mention “game” animals- groundhogs and coyotes are not game animals- that would be antelope, deer, bear, elk, moose, etc.

Furthermore you state

My experience with 223 on big game is limited to culling deer in central VA

So, have you personally killed antelope, deer, bear, elk, or moose with the 88gr ELD-M? Or have you watched those animals killed with one and opened the animal up and inspected the wound channel?