.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
@Antares

I second sticking with the factory stock. Mine wore a Bravo for a while, but the benefit didn't outweigh the crazy handiness and smooth feeding of the factory stock.

I also would second the 6x over the 10x. I have both.

Are you saying the scope can't come further rearward or that the ring can't come further rearward with the pin setup?
I wouldn't worry about the arrestor pin if I were you. Just remove it and move it back. Still crazy clamping force. Edit: I think this was poor advice, see Antares' post below.
However, if your scope bell is hitting the barrel, then I get it.

All that being said, I have a second 223 with a thicker contour barrel that wears a Bravo and 10x scope, but it's just a toy. The only action it sees is the rare groundhog.

Last edited:

Antares

WKR
Are you saying the scope can't come further rearward or that the ring can't come further rearward with the pin setup? I wouldn't worry about the arrestor pin if I were you. Just remove it and move it back. Still crazy clamping force. However, if your scope bell is hitting the barrel, then I get it.

I tried running them without the pin and this happened, so now I have trust issues. I get that the .223 has much less recoil but still... Who knows, I do have a set T084s lying around, maybe I'll give it another try.

Thanks for the input on the factory stock and 6x. I think that's the direction I'll go.

cod0396

FNG
Have any of you .22 creedmoor guys tried gold dots? I know the 75gr gold dot expands and penetrates very well at .223 velocities but doesn't fragment much. I'm curious if/how their behavior changes at velocities well over 3000 fps.

Antares

WKR
Thanks for all that @Formidilosus, especially the ammo suggestion. Any preference between the 68gr and 75gr HPBT?

Your point about the the Bravo controlling the rifle too much makes a lot of sense to me. I'll setup the factory stock and see how it goes.

I knew the 6x was the strong favorite, thanks for reaffirming. I'll just steal mine off my CZ 457 and put the 10x back on there... that's where it used to live anyway.

On the hunting thing... >95% of the hunting I do is solo on Kodiak. I just can't get my head around a .223 as bear deterrent, not yet at least.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
On the hunting thing... >95% of the hunting I do is solo on Kodiak. I just can't get my head around a .223 as bear deterrent, not yet at least.

Haha. There isn’t a brown bear alive I would hesitate to kill with a 223 and good bullets. But…. I get it.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
I tried running them without the pin and this happened, so now I have trust issues. I get that the .223 has much less recoil but still... Who knows, I do have a set T084s lying around, maybe I'll give it another try.

Thanks for the input on the factory stock and 6x. I think that's the direction I'll go.
I stand corrected. I've got my 5-20 in Sportsmatch rings on a creedmoor without the pin that I'll have to watch now.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all that @Formidilosus, especially the ammo suggestion. Any preference between the 68gr and 75gr HPBT?

Your point about the the Bravo controlling the rifle too much makes a lot of sense to me. I'll setup the factory stock and see how it goes.

I knew the 6x was the strong favorite, thanks for reaffirming. I'll just steal mine off my CZ 457 and put the 10x back on there... that's where it used to live anyway.

Just thought I’d give you some encouragement regarding affordable ammo. I have almost the exact same setup you’ve described building and it loves Hornady Frontier, both the 68g and 75g HPBT’s. I’ve used both to ring steel out to 700 yards and felt they both shot equally well. My shooting is a work in progress, but here is my best group to date, 10 shots at 100 yards using the Frontier 68g HPBT’s shooting at a 2” dot.

Edit - Corrected bullet name

Attachments

• DAF47BA2-070D-4943-987D-EBF0944809EF.jpeg
    DAF47BA2-070D-4943-987D-EBF0944809EF.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 75

Antares

WKR
Just thought I’d give you some encouragement regarding affordable ammo. I have almost the exact same setup you’ve described building and it loves Hornady Frontier, both the 68g and 75g HPBT’s. I’ve used both to ring steel out to 700 yards and felt they both shot equally well. My shooting is a work in progress, but here is my best group to date, 10 shots at 100 yards using the Frontier 68g HPBT’s shooting at a 2” dot.

Edit - Corrected bullet name

Cool. Thanks. I think I’m going to try to get a few cases of the 68gr on their way. Maybe I’ll get them by the time I have the rifle put together.

Dobermann

WKR
I can't use the T084s because my long LOP means I need the scope mounted farther back than the arrestor pin will allow. Probably put on a 10 MOA rail and Seekins Extra-Lows (which I already have lying around).
Sounds like you're going the factory stock route, in which case the T084s and SWFA work well.

But as a public service announcement, my experience is that T084s do *not* work if you move to a Bravo - the cheek is already far higher.

I got in two Mountain Tactical Raptor Mounts to test with a T3X in a Bravo; the High works well, but the Medium is only a tiny bit taller than the T084s ... so if anyone's going to a Bravo, I'd suggest the Raptor in High. (And the Raptor is a one-piece mount with integrated arrestor pin, so has the same benefit as the T084, but does not require an additional pic rail. It feels a little rough and ready in fit and finish - guessing it's not made on a 5-axis CNC like Tier 1 mounts) ... but I'm impressed at the light weight. low rail profile, and height so far.

Anyone have experience with the Ruger American Predator? I know the Tikka is the preferred option, and I love the Tikkas that I have, but I also have a Ruger in 6 creedmoor for my daughter and while it is not nearly as smooth at the Tikka, that thing shoots incredibly well.