.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all that @Formidilosus, especially the ammo suggestion. Any preference between the 68gr and 75gr HPBT?

Your point about the the Bravo controlling the rifle too much makes a lot of sense to me. I'll setup the factory stock and see how it goes.

I knew the 6x was the strong favorite, thanks for reaffirming. I'll just steal mine off my CZ 457 and put the 10x back on there... that's where it used to live anyway.

On the hunting thing... >95% of the hunting I do is solo on Kodiak. I just can't get my head around a .223 as bear deterrent, not yet at least.
Just thought I’d give you some encouragement regarding affordable ammo. I have almost the exact same setup you’ve described building and it loves Hornady Frontier, both the 68g and 75g HPBT’s. I’ve used both to ring steel out to 700 yards and felt they both shot equally well. My shooting is a work in progress, but here is my best group to date, 10 shots at 100 yards using the Frontier 68g HPBT’s shooting at a 2” dot.

Edit - Corrected bullet name

Attachments

• DAF47BA2-070D-4943-987D-EBF0944809EF.jpeg
    DAF47BA2-070D-4943-987D-EBF0944809EF.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 73

Antares

WKR
Just thought I’d give you some encouragement regarding affordable ammo. I have almost the exact same setup you’ve described building and it loves Hornady Frontier, both the 68g and 75g HPBT’s. I’ve used both to ring steel out to 700 yards and felt they both shot equally well. My shooting is a work in progress, but here is my best group to date, 10 shots at 100 yards using the Frontier 68g HPBT’s shooting at a 2” dot.

Edit - Corrected bullet name

Cool. Thanks. I think I’m going to try to get a few cases of the 68gr on their way. Maybe I’ll get them by the time I have the rifle put together.

Dobermann

WKR
I can't use the T084s because my long LOP means I need the scope mounted farther back than the arrestor pin will allow. Probably put on a 10 MOA rail and Seekins Extra-Lows (which I already have lying around).
Sounds like you're going the factory stock route, in which case the T084s and SWFA work well.

But as a public service announcement, my experience is that T084s do *not* work if you move to a Bravo - the cheek is already far higher.

I got in two Mountain Tactical Raptor Mounts to test with a T3X in a Bravo; the High works well, but the Medium is only a tiny bit taller than the T084s ... so if anyone's going to a Bravo, I'd suggest the Raptor in High. (And the Raptor is a one-piece mount with integrated arrestor pin, so has the same benefit as the T084, but does not require an additional pic rail. It feels a little rough and ready in fit and finish - guessing it's not made on a 5-axis CNC like Tier 1 mounts) ... but I'm impressed at the light weight. low rail profile, and height so far.

Anyone have experience with the Ruger American Predator? I know the Tikka is the preferred option, and I love the Tikkas that I have, but I also have a Ruger in 6 creedmoor for my daughter and while it is not nearly as smooth at the Tikka, that thing shoots incredibly well.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What would be your bullet of choice for shooting an 800 pound brown bear through bone?

77gr TMK, 75gr Speer Gold Dot, 62gr GD/Fusion, 75gr ELD-M, or M855A1- same as to shoot anything else.

If people want to have the bear discussion (yeah it’s been done), that’s fine; but like this thread it needs be started from the start with facts and reality, not emotion. And people get real emotional about bears.

Lawnboi

WKR
Another extensive load work up. Tossed my Hornady brass. Sick of the inconsistency. Loaded some 60tmk in Fresh Lapua brass. Shot 10 shots to find pressure in the back yard, loaded 10 at a grain off pressure and shot a group.

Bonus 60tmk zero is a tenth high over my 77tmk zero. I’ll continue to shoot the 60s for drills, predators and prairie dogs.

8037DAA5-EB31-4AB5-9B75-BD042BD0EBFF.jpegDC3474B6-9EAD-4F05-ACE2-E1031F7AA14F.jpeg

@Antares when your ready to go completely overboard I’m here to help.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience with the Ruger American Predator? I know the Tikka is the preferred option, and I love the Tikkas that I have, but I also have a Ruger in 6 creedmoor for my daughter and while it is not nearly as smooth at the Tikka, that thing shoots incredibly well.

I have a predator in 223 and I’m very fond of it. This will be its first year in the deer woods and I have some 73 eldm loaded up with 24.2 TAC. Been shooting 0.7 ish moa. Oklahoma rifle season is in 2 weeks and I’ll be reporting back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another extensive load work up. Tossed my Hornady brass. Sick of the inconsistency. Loaded some 60tmk in Fresh Lapua brass. Shot 10 shots to find pressure in the back yard, loaded 10 at a grain off pressure and shot a group.

Bonus 60tmk zero is a tenth high over my 77tmk zero. I’ll continue to shoot the 60s for drills, predators and prairie dogs.

View attachment 469802View attachment 469803

@Antares when your ready to go completely overboard I’m here to help.

Did yours start out as a light or a CTR?

BLJ

WKR
I have a RA Ranch 5.56. I love it. Granted it’s not a Tikka, but it has done very well for me. I’m at around 500 (I think) rounds through it now without any issues. I’d like to buy another one.
The only drawback with this setup (kinda, IMO) is having to load the longer bullets to AR mag length. But, it uses AR mags. I’m okay with it. It’s an MOA gun with 69 SMK or 77 TMK.

SouthPaw

WKR
But as a public service announcement, my experience is that T084s do *not* work if you move to a Bravo - the cheek is already far higher.
I have not experienced this. TO84s work just fine with the Bravo cheek peice at the lowest setting. But that could just be my personal fitment.