.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
Very interesting thread and most of it was worth the time it took to read 39 pages.

I like what I use and probably am not going to change myself, but the information is well worth it.

This thread hasn't changed my opinion of the .223, however it has expanded it. I already know many that use it successfully for deer. Bear and moose - holy crap, I'd of never considered it.

I also would have never thought a match bullet would perform so well on game.

If I have one thought throughout the thread it has been along the lines of too much damage. Some of the pictures show a lot of ruined meat. Not saying this as a fault, just an observation. Using something with this type of performance for game animals requires some careful shot placement.

Kudos to those that chose to do the work to try this out and have the discipline to do it responsibly. Thanks for sharing.

Glad to see the resources are available for the 223 to join the hunt.

cod0396

FNG
In addition to the 64gr BSB, does anyone know how the 55gr or 62gr TBBC performs on game? Both the TBBC and the 64gr BSB are highly recommended defensive loads for .223/5.56, but I’m thinking they give up some terminal performance compared to softer bonded soft points like gold dot fusion, and especially compared to a bullet like the 77gr TMK.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, after seeing in this thread what the 77TMK is capable of I think it will try to work up an all round load for it. If I hunt something that I feel may need a "tougher " bullet, I will use one of my bigger rifles.

Honyock

WKR
So after reading this thread and becoming educated on the killing power of the 223 and the 77gr TMK, I have a question. Not picking a side or looking for an argument (there's already 20 pages of that). If you had saved for years to hunt true record book elk on the White Mountain Apache Reservation would you take a 223 and use the 77 gr TMK?

So after reading this thread and becoming educated on the killing power of the 223 and the 77gr TMK, I have a question. Not picking a side or looking for an argument (there's already 20 pages of that). If you had saved for years to hunt true record book elk on the White Mountain Apache Reservation would you take a 223 and use the 77 gr TMK?

I don’t recall many examples of people using this combo for elk in this thread. I wouldn’t use a 77 TMK for elk on any elk tag because I have other guns that are more appropriate.

BAKPAKR

WKR
OP’s wife used them on her once-in-a-lifetime Idaho bull moose. I, however, would probably use something bigger on moose or on White Mountain elk since my ability to wait for a good broadside shot is sometimes lacking.

Shraggs

WKR
Respectfully, seems this missed the point of what we observed... the tissue damage was overtly devastating.

if shots were expected to be well inside of 400 yards,
Wind forecast was manageable,
And the lower recoil gave you better confidence than your bigger caliber,

then I would think this choice stacks in favor and gives an advantage.

I would take two rifles, and choose caliber daily based on conditions.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Personally, there would be no hesitation on my part using the .223 and a 77TMK on any animal inside of its terminal performance capabilities.

Yes, any animal....

fshaw

WKR
Today I guided a brook trout fishing trip in the Adirondacks of NY into a remote pond. At the beginning of the day the client, from an urban area, was asking about how many and how big. I told him we could do one of two different types of trips, his choice. We could go out to slaughter as many fish as possible, or we could have a day in the forest and have fun. We’d go to different places to achieve the two different goals. We went back in and caught a bunch of fish, none very large and they had a great day.

If I was out to slaughter an elk , or a buck, or whatever no matter what, I’d probably bring a 30 magnum something. If I wanted to try to get amongst them I just might bring the 77gr TMK and be selective. Depends what you’re trying to achieve. Full disclosure, I’m a 64 yr old hunting and fishing guide who has taken my share of game and some. Getting amongst them, right there amongst them, is more important to me now than killing another head to go on the wall. Probably sounds like BS but that’s OK.

Good luck to you whatever you choose. Catch a big one regardless of your quarry.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

If I was a 450’ish yard hunter, I wouldn’t use anything but the 223/77gr TMK.

Bcleck90

WKR
If I was a 450’ish yard hunter, I wouldn’t use anything but the 223/77gr TMK.

@Formidilosus I know you prefer the 77gr TMK from your posts. Would you consider the other choices you’ve mentioned- Gold Dots, AMAX, etc to be good choice also to 450ish yards? I’ve been shooting 75 grain gold dots and just curious on what you feel would be the max range for that compared to the 77 grain TMK.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus I know you prefer the 77gr TMK from your posts. Would you consider the other choices you’ve mentioned- Gold Dots, AMAX, etc to be good choice also to 450ish yards? I’ve been shooting 75 grain gold dots and just curious on what you feel would be the max range for that compared to the 77 grain TMK.

Yes. The BC of Gild Dot hurts it in wind drift a bit, but it’s good. The Amax is good as well.