.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Juan_ID

WKR
Can someone tell Hornady to make a .224 78g eldx.

I went out and gave my old 75 eldm load a go now that I got the barrel chopped and have an extra 8oz hanging off the end. A load that went 1.5moa average before now makes a 2.5” group at 400. View attachment 293816
I’d rather they not at the moment, I just bought 1200 of the 75 eldm’s in preparation for when I’m able to find a tikka… 🥲

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d rather they not at the moment, I just bought 1200 of the 75 eldm’s in preparation for when I’m able to find a tikka… 🥲

Good call on stocking up. They have historicallyatleast the last few yearsbeen a tough bullet to find.

Next best purchase you can make for the coming rifle imo is a ~5” suppressor.

Good luck finding one, I’d call any scheels that’s within a distance your willing to travel to

Juan_ID

WKR
Good call on stocking up. They have historicallyatleast the last few yearsbeen a tough bullet to find.

Next best purchase you can make for the coming rifle imo is a ~5” suppressor.

Good luck finding one, I’d call any scheels that’s within a distance your willing to travel to
There’s a local store that seemed to have a fairly nice stock of them recently. What suppressor is that you are running on your rifle? And thanks, one will come around soon enough…. I hope!

Lawnboi

WKR
There’s a local store that seemed to have a fairly nice stock of them recently. What suppressor is that you are running on your rifle? And thanks, one will come around soon enough…. I hope!
It’s a Griffin optimus micro. It’s kind of a double duty rimfire/223 rem can for me. It’s pretty small, which is what I wanted. I was surprised though at how much it cuts the noise. Barrel chopped to 20” makes it manageable. It’s 1/2x 28 threaded and I’m running it direct thread. This can with spending more on a taper mount can handle up to 22-250

fshaw

WKR
Been working on loads for the 64gr BSB in a Kimber Montana .223 9 twist. Frustrating at this point with Varget and 8208. Even worse results with H4895. About to start testing different seating depth to see if I can get them down to 1" or so.

Just scored a box of 77gr TMK. Form was kind enough to share some 8208 load data. Anyone willing to share charge weights, seating depths or other powders used? I understand that each rifle is unique and that I'm responsible for my own safety.

Also got a box of 62gr Sciroccos that I'll get to eventually along with some TTSX if I can't get the TMKs or BSBs to group.

Thanks.

Frank

Juan_ID

WKR
I’ve seen mention of the 75 eldm seated longer but has anyone had much luck while seating them to the factory mag length? I have a few rounds loaded that I’m hoping to shoot later today, some are mag length and a few that are .020” off the lands. Aside from them looking strange I wouldn’t mind if the stock mag length shot good

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ve seen mention of the 75 eldm seated longer but has anyone had much luck while seating them to the factory mag length? I have a few rounds loaded that I’m hoping to shoot later today, some are mag length and a few that are .020” off the lands. Aside from them looking strange I wouldn’t mind if the stock mag length shot good
I don’t think you see many at mag length because it puts the ogive in the case neck. Iv only tried them .010 off the lands so far and they have shot. My loaded round is 2.4 something if I remember right. Behind 24 grains of varget it put up a 2.5” 6 shot group at 400 a few weeks ago.

Juan_ID

WKR
I don’t think you see many at mag length because it puts the ogive in the case neck. Iv only tried them .010 off the lands so far and they have shot. My loaded round is 2.4 something if I remember right. Behind 24 grains of varget it put up a 2.5” 6 shot group at 400 a few weeks ago.
Gotchya, the average lengths are 2.293” for the mag length rounds and 2.424” for the longer, I only did 3 different charges to start. If one of the 3 shoots well enough I’ll likely just run with it as I just want to load a bunch and shoot it.

fshaw

WKR
Loaded up 77gr TMKs with near Hodgdon data max of 8028, Varget and 322. Should get to try them out over the weekend and have hopes that at least one will shoot well in my 9 twist Montana. Also loaded a few 62gr Sciroccos with Varget. Since my shots are typically short I don't need sub MOA but it would sure be nice. Started with .02 jump.

Lawnboi

WKR
Gotchya, the average lengths are 2.293” for the mag length rounds and 2.424” for the longer, I only did 3 different charges to start. If one of the 3 shoots well enough I’ll likely just run with it as I just want to load a bunch and shoot it.
Curious what you get if your running any xbr. 24 of varget has been pretty universal for me across 75/77s

Juan_ID

WKR
Curious what you get if your running any xbr. 24 of varget has been pretty universal for me across 75/77s
I am using varget too, that’s all I had laying around. 24gr shot the best by far, so I’m going to do a ladder test and see if I can find a nice little sweet spot. But overall I’m happy with how it shot the one group, almost even more surprised at how crappy the other 2 shot though haha.

Juan_ID

WKR
Well you SOBs talked me into it! Haha!!

d1387371ece1fd7837e7232dc0febb43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So what’s the latest on this @Ryan Avery ?