.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

grfox92

WKR
Maybe, does your gun shoot factory offerings fine? Do you like to load? Tinker?
I do reload and enjoy it. I've quite litterally never shot my AR once in the 3 years I've owned it and have shot the one I've owned for 10 years twice in that time lol.

I'm going burn 30 rounds of bulk fmj I have getting on paper and close to zeroed and see how those group, then I'll truly zero with the 55gr Vmax I bought so I can take my son Coyote hunting.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

I do reload and enjoy it. I've quite litterally never shot my AR once in the 3 years I've owned it and have shot the one I've owned for 10 years twice in that time lol.

I'm going burn 30 rounds of bulk fmj I have getting on paper and close to zeroed and see how those group, then I'll truly zero with the 55gr Vmax I bought so I can take my son Coyote hunting.

For low volume, I wouldn’t mess with it. If you want high volume and quality ammo I’d get to pulling the handle.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I was in the store today and looked at .223 ammunition. They are small.
Bullets matter.

Correct bullets (wound channel, depth of penetration, BC) delivered with high accuracy and high precision out of a robust delivery system with impact velocity adequate to deliver terminal performance with the highest hit rate and lowest recoil…

This entire thread is based on objectivity and efficiency and end results that matter.

Please, read the thread. Trust the process. Verify the process for yourself. Post your findings with pictures and necropsy results.

We’ll all learn!

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider
Wait you’re taking 70 deer annually on the north island? I thought the majority of the hunting was South Island. That’s awesome!
Lots of hunting on the NI. I don't want to distract from the purpose of this thread so have PM'd you.

Last edited:

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider
Please keep posting your .223 experiences!

We all have a lot to gain from first hand terminal performance reports including pics!
It's pretty good performance for a 52 grain bullet to go right through this deer and make a good exit wound (pic shows the width it penetrated). As said they are Berger jackets and the guy who makes them here seems to have got the core mixture pretty right. Im not advocating little bullets but it does show what can be achieved with the right mix of ingredients of speed plus bullet design. IMG_9350.jpg

Edit: maybe another question I should ask is, how much is it costing you to reload .223? Is it even worth it for ringing steel at 400 yards? I bought a box of Fiochi 55gr Vmax for 50 rounds for $42. They have 50rnds of FMJ for $37 also.

You can certainly get to where cost per round makes it tough to justify hand loads. I like the ADI stuff through global ordnance personally. https://globalordnance.com/adi-worl...a-blitzking-200-round-case-upc-9332153003173/
AAC has some cheap ammo as well. The ELD and TMKs are nice when you start shooting beyond the 100 or 200 yard line to reduce how much the wind is impacting a guy.

Ken_L

FNG
I purchased a Steyr ProHunter III in 223 and I am going to load it with Barnes TTSX 62 grains. I think this will be a good combo for deer. Most of our shots are within 150 yards and typically less than 100.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,
I have been a long time lurker here and have learned an absolute ton! Thank you for changing the way that I hunt and practice. I figured it was time to join and contribute.
In the past 4 years, my sons and I have killed 4 mule deer does, at ranges varying from 90 to 375 yards, using Tikka Rokslide specials with chopped 18.5” barrels and TBAC Ultra 7 suppressors. Our .223/77 TMK handloads shoot with a muzzle velocity of 2725 fps. Impact velocities have been from 2100 fps (375 yard shot) to 2580 (90 yard shot). The deer either wobbled for a few yards, then collapsed or ran 30 or so yards and collapsed. Very impressive. Last year, my youngest son killed a cow elk at around 250 yards, 2300 impact velocity. One shot and it hunched up and then laid down and expired quickly. I shot my antelope this year with a 18” chopped Tikka rechambered to 22 Creedmoor shooting 88 ELD match bullets at 3050 fps. Distance was 200 yards and was equally impressive. I look forward to being able to continue to contribute and thank you again for the drop tests and helping us change the way we hunt! We have trusted the process. The photos are as follows:
1) Doe shot at 375 yards with right front shoulder removed, with a close up of entrance, which was tucked in the crease.
IMG_1457.jpeg

IMG_1456.jpeg
2) Cow elk and also right front shoulder removed with entrance wound.
IMG_4621.jpeg
IMG_4626.png

3) Buck antelope shot with 22 Creedmoor.
IMG_4627.jpeg

grfox92

WKR
Not sure if posting non hunting related .223 stuff is ok, but here is the result of me zeroing my Factory stock M&P15 today with Fiochi 55gr Vmax and a bullshit Vortex 3x9 Diamondback.

I'm shocked how well this factory gas gun grouped box ammo with what is arguably the worst trigger I've ever felt in my life. Probably 1/8 inch of creep before it breaks. Ill see if I cant put a hole in a coyote this Sunday.
a9d43814c9af9f943a7e29dd25e95870.jpg