.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
So the terminal damage most likely came from the added diameter from mushrooming causing more crushing trauma.

Negative. Impact velocity causing permanent tearing due to the temporary stretch cavity. The difference is “expanded” diameter is nothing. In actuality, through most of the animal the TMK will have a larger frontal diameter.

amassi

WKR
Good to know. So the terminal damage most likely came from the added diameter from mushrooming causing more crushing trauma. I posted this thread and your comparison on LRH. The response has been entertaining and amazing lol.

I’d bet money hammer bullets were mentioned in the first 10 posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xsn10s

WKR
Negative. Impact velocity causing permanent tearing due to the temporary stretch cavity. The difference is “expanded” diameter is nothing. In actuality, through most of the animal the TMK will have a larger frontal diameter.
I can agree with that. Crushing would play a part, but at 300 WM velocities tearing from the temporary cavity would play a bigger part in the trauma. I'm not the most articulate person while typing.

xsn10s

WKR
I’d bet money hammer bullets were mentioned in the first 10 posts

I think they were at one point. One of their members tried to come on there and go off topic. It's amazing that people won't consider the terminal performance of the TMK's.

Dirtbag

WKR
I may have posted this on other threads and unsure if how much its been discussed but I do want to make a post regarding some lighter bullets as well. Other posters have certainly made the great case for heavier stuff like the .22 77 TMK, I wanted to reassure anyone you can still have really spectacular (quite surprising in many cases) results with light pills. If you have have a rifle that can't spin heavies or you just want to try light stuff for fun, they flat out work.

55 grain Hornady SP, around 3800fps, .220 swift around hundred yards. 15 yards and down.

B0825983-ACBD-46AB-86B4-744E709298DC.jpeg

55 grain Hornady SP, around 3800fps, .220 swift at 305 yards, Coues deer, DRT.

9B352B8B-DB6D-4837-99FF-A0C3133A0787.jpeg

The cute little 55 grain SP mushroom from the Coues deer. they almost always look like this and stick underneath the skin of the offside on deer. vitals are turned to stew.
D21860AA-C0A4-407A-A1CD-FC2B7CB6366E.jpeg

52 grain Sierra HPBT Matchking, at 3800, .220 swift somewhere between 100-200 yards. inside were jelly. bullets fragments throughout including offside skin. 60 yards sprint and dead.

7C68AC58-5359-4C8B-ACEC-305F2962D34A.jpeg

53 grain FB Sierra Matchking at 3800, .220 swift around 100 yards frontal. vitals were soup, didnt bother with bullet recovery. tipped over in less than 20 yards.

62C1303F-EDE4-41DD-926D-105358F0BEAB.jpeg

I'm very confident with .22 centerfires. Speed kills.

JohnDough

FNG
I estimate this deer at 110# live weight. I shot it 1 hour before I left for work, so the autopsy of soft tissue regarding lungs etc. Will have to be verbal. I noted significant blood in the chest cavity upon splitting the sternum. The path through the lung tissue was roughly 1.25-1.5" across. No fragmentation was noted. The damage to the liver was roughly the size of a nickel. Due to the frontal nature of the shot (the deer was very nearly facing me dead on, albeit with his left shoulder and rear him slightly toward me, the projectile's path through the vitals was not as "text book" as a broadside shot which somewhat limits our ability to ascertain its terminal disruption. However, the projectile seems to have a deep and more narrow wound path with sharp demarcation which indicates good velocity through the target as well as sharp edges, as opposed to a round like the RA556B or similar which adopt a more "blob" shape.) The projectile did not seem to directly impact the spine but did pass very near. He immediately locked up and went down and did not move again. Blood at the site was minimal and mainly from his nose/mouth. The rest of the pertinent data follows in a video I will upload.

Weapon: 11.5" sbr
Ammo: 70gr tsx
Range: 95m
Estimated impact velocity based on prior 100m chrono data for this weapon and ammo: 2350fps
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thegman

WKR
I may have posted this on other threads and unsure if how much its been discussed but I do want to make a post regarding some lighter bullets as well. Other posters have certainly made the great case for heavier stuff like the .22 77 TMK, I wanted to reassure anyone you can still have really spectacular (quite surprising in many cases) results with light pills. If you have have a rifle that can't spin heavies or you just want to try light stuff for fun, they flat out work.

55 grain Hornady SP, around 3800fps, .220 swift around hundred yards. 15 yards and down.

View attachment 632960

View attachment 632963

The cute little 55 grain SP mushroom from the Coues deer. they almost always look like this and stick underneath the skin of the offside on deer. vitals are turned to stew.
View attachment 632966

52 grain Sierra HPBT Matchking, at 3800, .220 swift somewhere between 100-200 yards. inside were jelly. bullets fragments throughout including offside skin. 60 yards sprint and dead.

View attachment 632969

53 grain FB Sierra Matchking at 3800, .220 swift around 100 yards frontal. vitals were soup, didnt bother with bullet recovery. tipped over in less than 20 yards.

View attachment 632970

I've heard in other places the Hornady 55SP works really well, have never used on on game though myself. Impressive how well it holds up to even Swift velocity.

Tell

FNG
Shoot2HuntU
IMG_9346.jpeg
77gr TMK
2673 impact velocity
He ran for about 5 seconds and dropped. His lungs were soup, and the top of his heart was shredded. I found the bullet in the trampoline/hide.
IMG_9373.jpegIMG_9350.jpegIMG_9354.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9354.jpeg
    IMG_9354.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9350.jpeg
    IMG_9350.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 30

amassi

WKR
4 posts in and there was 25-06 and a 90 grain Hammer mentioned...

I’m sure they scrubbed it as bullying but I posted 7 cow elk all hanging at a meat processor and got the hammer fan club all fired up about those magic little bullets. When I revealed they were 80g eld m out of a 22-250 no one believed it and I got temporarily banned

bbell

WKR

View attachment 632960

View attachment 632963

View attachment 632966

View attachment 632969

View attachment 632970

Thanks for sharing. I have a win pre-64 220 swift, but it’s got a slow twist. Was looking at these, the Sierra 55gr game king #1365, or the 55gr gold dot. Figured I would get about 3800fps out of it. Have you used any other or just the hornady bullet?

amassi

WKR
Thanks for sharing. I have a win pre-64 220 swift, but it’s got a slow twist. Was looking at these, the Sierra 55gr game king #1365, or the 55gr gold dot. Figured I would get about 3800fps out of it. Have you used any other or just the hornady bullet?

I’ve mentioned before on this thread but the 64 gr power point is a stellar hunting bullet out of the 22-250 and works in the slow twists

Dirtbag

WKR
I've heard in other places the Hornady 55SP works really well, have never used on on game though myself. Impressive how well it holds up to even Swift velocity.
They are a sweet little bullet. They act a lot more like a bonded bullet than you'd expect. Hornady does make a SP SX which is supposed to be much more explosive. I dont buy them though so unsure of the real difference.

Dirtbag

WKR
I haven't tried the Gameking or the Gold dots (yet!) but they are both on my list. an acquaintance has urged me to try 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips after having used it on deer with good results so thats the next experiment.

So far the 55 grain Hornadys and both 52-53 Matchkings have been excellent and have roughly the same POI so I can swap back and forth between them without monkeying around. Hard to change when they work as well as they do!

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 632960

View attachment 632963

View attachment 632966

View attachment 632969

View attachment 632970

.220 Swift is definitely a killer. Frank Glaser would be proud.

Dirtbag

WKR
Berger's calculator shows them to be marginally stable in a 14 twist, but I bet those would be pretty sweet at 220 Swift speeds!
I havent tried anything over 55 grains yet but there is quite a few compelling bullets I'd like to try in that 60-69 gr range. 60 grain SP, partition, gamekings and this Nosler.

When I am up for a re-barrel I will likely go to .220AI for the mechanical advantages but also a slight bump in speed. may go to a 1-12 twist, havent decided.

a 60 grain partition at 3800fps, count me in.

I estimate this deer at 110# live weight. I shot it 1 hour before I left for work, so the autopsy of soft tissue regarding lungs etc. Will have to be verbal. I noted significant blood in the chest cavity upon splitting the sternum. The path through the lung tissue was roughly 1.25-1.5" across. No fragmentation was noted. The damage to the liver was roughly the size of a nickel. Due to the frontal nature of the shot (the deer was very nearly facing me dead on, albeit with his left shoulder and rear him slightly toward me, the projectile's path through the vitals was not as "text book" as a broadside shot which somewhat limits our ability to ascertain its terminal disruption. However, the projectile seems to have a deep and more narrow wound path with sharp demarcation which indicates good velocity through the target as well as sharp edges, as opposed to a round like the RA556B or similar which adopt a more "blob" shape.) The projectile did not seem to directly impact the spine but did pass very near. He immediately locked up and went down and did not move again. Blood at the site was minimal and mainly from his nose/mouth. The rest of the pertinent data follows in a video I will upload.

Weapon: 11.5" sbr
Ammo: 70gr tsx
Range: 95m
Estimated impact velocity based on prior 100m chrono data for this weapon and ammo: 2350fps
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for sharing. That round seems to never disappoint.