.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

I guess the ‘223 for deer,elk,bear’ thread has run its course and it’s time to start a ‘Alternatives to the OVERLY DESTRUCTIVE 223 for deer, elk and bear’ thread.
Folks can argue over which 300 win mag, 30/06, 6.5 PRC, 270… or whatever current super mag is better at conserving meat and minimizing damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread has been off track for most of it. There’s more posts about bullets, brass, and powder in stock, ammo, rifle setup and crap like that having absolutely zero to do with the terminal effectiveness on game than there are posts about actual use on game.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
What would be an adequate but less destructive 223 bullet?
I load a 60 grain partition for the 223 for my 4 sons. Collectively, they have shot 6 or 8 whitetails with it. Farthest shot was around 165 yards and closest was under 10 yards. I have been very impressed with the 60 grain partition based on the animals my boys have harvested so far. I don’t have photos of the damage to the deer we shot, but would say it was less than what the photos in this thread show the 77tmk’s are doing. Thanks. -Rufus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What would be an adequate but less destructive 223 bullet?

Lots of bullets. Probably the easiest to find is 62gr Federal Fusions, or Speer Gold Dots. They kill very well while not be excessively destructive. Partitions, the 70gr Accubond, 75gr Swift Scirocco, etc. Even the 73gr ELD-M is a bit less messy than the TMK.

This thread has been off track for most of it. There’s more posts about bullets, brass, and powder in stock, ammo, rifle setup and crap like that having absolutely zero to do with the terminal effectiveness on game than there are posts about actual use on game.
Gotta fill in the remaining 10 months or so of the year somehow.

krimbi

FNG
Read this thread about a month ago considering the 77 gr tmk for my bull elk hunt.
Thought I'd register and share my data point since there's not a ton on bull elk.
Shot my bull yesterday morning. 171 yard shot with AAC 77 gr TMK. Hit him slightly high on the crease/edge of the shoulder. No blood to track as expected. There was a 4" shredded wound channel on entry side ribs (no pic of that- he died in the sun so I was in a hurry to work him up and was alone). Found shards in off side shoulder. He was slightly quartering away. He rose up on his hind legs at impact, turned, went 20 yards and was done moving in about 15 seconds.
Used my 16" Henry long ranger express (love lever guns), 1:9" twist.
Had my reservations but wanted to test for kids hunts in the future. I've hunted with my bolt action 308 for years (also used my ar on a few whitetails using the 62gr fusion with mixed results). Never seen this kind of performance on an animal. Very pleased with the 77gr tmk.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231003-063232.png
    Screenshot_20231003-063232.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 349

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Read this thread about a month ago considering the 77 gr tmk for my bull elk hunt.
Thought I'd register and share my data point since there's not a ton on bull elk.
Shot my bull yesterday morning. 171 yard shot with AAC 77 gr TMK. Hit him slightly high on the crease/edge of the shoulder. No blood to track as expected. There was a 4" shredded wound channel on entry side ribs (no pic of that- he died in the sun so I was in a hurry to work him up and was alone). Found shards in off side shoulder. He was slightly quartering away. He rose up on his hind legs at impact, turned, went 20 yards and was done moving in about 15 seconds.
Had my reservations but wanted to test for kids hunts in the future. I've hunted with my bolt action 308 for years (also used my ar on a few whitetails using the 62gr fusion with mixed results). Never seen this kind of performance on an animal. Very pleased with the 77gr tmk.
Congratulations on the elk, and thanks for sharing.

atmat

WKR
Thanks for the contribution! Great bull, cool gun!

81a4y1.jpg

hunterjmj

WKR
Congrats! Also, that rifle is gorgeous. I recently watched a video on that rifle and the magazine it uses. I need to add that to my list of rifles I need to buy.

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the bull! Sweet rifle, I've thought before that one of those long rangers in .243 would be pretty cool...

krimbi

FNG
Thanks all.
I had been looking for this rifle for over a year and finally found one at a decent price a few weeks ago. After a few shooting trips I felt very confident in its abilities. Just in time for the hunt. Such a cool rifle.

Working on the bull this morning, realized there is a bit of damage to be seen on the entry shoulder. Most of the cavity occurred behind the shoulder but got a pic of what I have, plus the two fragments of the bullet in the far side shoulder.

Attachments

• PXL_20231003_180428768.jpg
    PXL_20231003_180428768.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 195
  • PXL_20231003_175246865.jpg
    PXL_20231003_175246865.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 194

270quest

WKR
I have no objections to anyone hunting elk with whatever legal cartridge they desire, and yes I do believe small caliber bullets sent fast kill well.....

But if/when I kill a bull elk this year and post the pic, it will be with a 150 scenar out of a 7 rem mag...Elk taking death runs in the country I hunt in, is not something that brings one much joy.

Also, the 622 yard kill on my 5 point bull in Wyoming last year would not had been in the cards with a .223.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
But if/when I kill a bull elk this year and post the pic, it will be with a 150 scenar out of a 7 rem mag...

Ok? Has someone told you to not use that?

Elk taking death runs in the country I hunt in, is not something that brings one much joy.

All animals (100%) when shot with a 7mm 150gr Scenar drop immediately regardless of where hit in the chest? That is: bang, bullet impacts and they fall instantly- not stand for few seconds or walk a bit?

Also, the 622 yard kill on my 5 point bull in Wyoming last year would not had been in the cards with a .223.

Are you positive? The wounds created by the 150gr Scenar are not class leading, and in a lot of cases are less than, or identical to some .224 projectiles at like impact velocities.