.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

24.5 works for a lot of guys. I had some cratering at that yesterday in a custom barrel, 85F ambient. Hogdgon book max is 23.7 I think.
Based on their data on the website, they do have a full grain difference between the 5.56 and the .223 book max. Since my tikka chamber passed the go/no go gauges for 556 and it’s a European CIP gun, I should be good using 5.56 data right? This is a new one for me.

np307

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm looking to put a Tikka and SWFA package together by 2024 deer season. I'd like to take my AR out some this year though, so is the consensus here that the 62gr Gold Dot/Fusion load is the best option that will fit in a standard AR mag?

Not worried about distance at all, my shots here in NC are all less than 100 and usually less than 50 yards.

So I'm looking to put a Tikka and SWFA package together by 2024 deer season. I'd like to take my AR out some this year though, so is the consensus here that the 62gr Gold Dot/Fusion load is the best option that will fit in a standard AR mag?

Not worried about distance at all, my shots here in NC are all less than 100 and usually less than 50 yards.
77 tmk was originally made to be loaded to mag length in an ar iirc.

62 gold dot/fusion is a great bullet and will do very well

np307

Lil-Rokslider
77 tmk was originally made to be loaded to mag length in an ar iirc.

62 gold dot/fusion is a great bullet and will do very well
Interesting. I don't have dies yet for .223 but I'll have to do some reading up on that then and checking what actual OAL I can make work.

OldGrayJB

WKR
Interesting. I don't have dies yet for .223 but I'll have to do some reading up on that then and checking what actual OAL I can make work.
2.26" COAL works great in my AR with the 77TMK.

Some people say you need small base dies for semi-autos, but I use standard Redding .223 dies and have never had a problem.

np307

Lil-Rokslider
2.26" COAL works great in my AR with the 77TMK.

Some people say you need small base dies for semi-autos, but I use standard Redding .223 dies and have never had a problem.
Thanks. Maybe a precision AR is more in the line of what I want to go with short term then.

Big game seasons are open or going to be opening in the immediate future. PLEASE post your experiences here! Promise you’ll be impressed with wound channels and shootability!
I got screwed by sportsman warehouse so I’m back on the prowl for a rifle… checked in after 5 weeks into my background check and they said it was normal and they didn’t want to even look into it for me… checked again at week 9 and was told my background check expired and nobody called me or anything… I will never step foot in there again, no offer to do anything to make it right, and an oh well attitude at best

Now I have to find another one somewhere else, and deal with this state’s stupid background check once again, so I’m just waiting until my go to gun store can find one because they would never treat someone like that

Will have plenty of ammo to shoot when I get my .223 at least (glass half full)

I planned on filling my blacktail tag with the 223 this year but it doesn’t look like it’s in the cards considering a background check is a month in this state

I live in a state with such high potential that’s absolutely crippled by horrible politics

I got screwed by sportsman warehouse so I’m back on the prowl for a rifle… checked in after 5 weeks into my background check and they said it was normal and they didn’t want to even look into it for me… checked again at week 9 and was told my background check expired and nobody called me or anything… I will never step foot in there again, no offer to do anything to make it right, and an oh well attitude at best

Now I have to find another one somewhere else, and deal with this state’s stupid background check once again, so I’m just waiting until my go to gun store can find one because they would never treat someone like that

I planned on filling my blacktail tag with the 223 this year but it doesn’t look like it’s in the cards considering a background check is a month in this state

I live in a state with such high potential that’s absolutely crippled by horrible politics
Got a Big 5 sporting goods store? Rugers American ranch rifle is a pretty good deal, at least mine was, everyone who has shot it has been pleasantly surprised by its accuracy.

Jimbee

WKR

Have one shipped from grab a gun or Dacks

Huntsalot

FNG
It’s going to be a little slower but it shoots well across 3 rifles for me. The issue is getting it, Federal is very strict about dealers selling it to people that aren’t LE so you’ve either gotta be LE, have someone that’s LE buy it for you, or be friends with a dealer who gives no ***** and will order it for you. I fall under the latter category.

I'm not sure if you're speaking in jest but I've bought Federal LE numerous times from online dealers with no issues.

Last edited:

np307

Lil-Rokslider
It's a great way to go. I shoot the 77 TMK in my 18" LaRue. 2870 with 23.3 of 8208 XBR at 2.26. 1-1.25 MOA 10 shot groups. I'm using standard dies as well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I just keep coming back to pricing out a nice-ish AR and a Tikka and I don't have any reason to go with the AR. Even if I just did a nice upper I'm still not that far off.

I just keep coming back to pricing out a nice-ish AR and a Tikka and I don't have any reason to go with the AR. Even if I just did a nice upper I'm still not that far off.
Weight.

It's nice having an ultralight AR strapped to the pack instead of a heavier bolt action when I'm mostly scouting but could find a mountain lion or want to shoot some rabbits with the long seasons AZ has.

np307

Lil-Rokslider
Weight.

It's nice having an ultralight AR strapped to the pack instead of a heavier bolt action when I'm mostly scouting but could find a mountain lion or want to shoot some rabbits with the long seasons AZ has.
Makes plenty of sense. I'm only out West every other year though for a single trip. Mostly hunt within 1 mile of car here in NC.

Last edited:

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
PSA: in stock 77gr TMKs for $33.99/100. Free shipping over $50. Use code GASAVE10 on orders $150+ to save $10. I did this last time they were in stock here and got 500ct for 32 cents each.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
PSA: in stock 77gr TMKs for $33.99/100. Free shipping over $50. Use code GASAVE10 on orders $150+ to save $10. I did this last time they were in stock here and got 500ct for 32 cents each.

Already sold out! What did they have 5 boxes? Haha

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
So I have the ruger predator 223 and several ARs that I’m running the 77s thru. What are your thoughts about adding the ruger ranch to the mix too? It would be $500 shipped. I can’t do the tikka because the non threaded and I want to run my can
1406564db9ca9a09e6a392c7e32b39c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk