.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Quoting myself to provide a few updates:

Recently bought a few hundred of these hoping to make practice ammo that shoots roughly same POI as the 77 TMK’s. Looks like they’re sold out now but may be worth keeping an eye out, they sure look like 77g SMK’s to me. I’ll try to report back when I get a chance to shoot some of them.

Tested the 77SMK seconds out today and was very pleased with the results. They shot near identical POI as the 77TMK’s in my Tikka with both loaded to mag length with 24g of TAC. First verified POI on paper at 100 yards, targets attached (yes one bad shot with TMK’s but I blame me not the ammo). After verifying same POI I moved to gongs and had consistent POI with both rounds at 330, 400, 500 and 720 yards. Sure is fun hitting gongs that far out with the little Rokslide special!

In summary, for anyone that reloads, it seems the 77 SMK’s will make great practice ammo if you want to save your TMK’s for hunting.

This was my experience as well using 77TMK’s. No pressure at 24.5g of TAC with 75g BTHP’s, though this was in the spring with temps around 50 degrees outside. The 24g load shot great so that’s what I’m sticking with to be safe and allow others to shoot it without too much concern.

My ladder was 23, 23.5, 24 and 24.5, all shot very well based on (inadequate) 5-shot groups.

Shot about 100 rounds through my Tikka .223 today using 24g of TAC loaded at mag length with a mix of 77 SMK’s and 77 TMK’s. It was approximately 80-85 degrees out and I was shooting in partial shade. Of those ~100 rounds, I had a heavy bolt lift on 6 of them and noted ejector marks on 3 of those 6. Primers looked fine to me.

I reload using an RCBS chargemaster and am very meticulous, so I don’t think those 6 rounds were overcharged. It would seem 24g if TAC is right on the edge of pressure for my Tikka, which makes sense because I noted pressure with 5/5 rounds when I tried to use 24.5g of TAC this spring and that was shooting in about 50 degrees.

*Edit to add photos*

Attachments

• IMG_6651.jpeg
    IMG_6651.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6652.jpeg
    IMG_6652.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 76

Grundy53

WKR
Wow. Got a product back in stock notification for 77 gr TMKs. Immediately tried to purchase. By the time I went through the payment process they were out of stock.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
To start with, I am a HUGE fan of 223/556, so naturally this thread appeals to me. Generally, I stick with an AR platform because that is what I know and I am familiar with it. With that being said, I recently picked up a Ruger American Ranch rifle in 556. For $600 it has been a stellar rifle so far. It shoots incredibly well, I am using Hornady Frontier 75gr HPBT 556 ammo. I went with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 with the LV Velocity reticle. Its a fantastic match. I put a Spartan javelin bipod up front and topped it off with my suppressor. So far I have shot paper and steel and a handful of prairie dogs in ranges from 35-380yds. No issues. I did take it apart and wipe it down, then put Loctite on all the bolts and torqued it back together. To my surprise it shot even better. I am not a huge fan of the plastic stock, particularly due to the tan color, but thats an easy fix. With a loaded ten round mag, scope and suppressor I am just under 10lbs.

Anyone else shoot one of these?

Love mine. Technically, not a ranch model, just a bits-n-pieces, parts bin special. I do want mount a rail section under the forearm for a bipod at some point, but it's a hell of a walking around & hunting gun.

20230627_201318.jpg

EDDAKA

FNG

Looks like they’re getting a big shipment around July 8th. Haven’t seen black hills 77gr TMK in stock for what seems like years…

rsltid13

FNG
It's still showing in stock when you click on the link. I had one of theirs saved and it showed out of stock but searched black hills and it was instock
edit: by the time I got done typing it was gone

RiffRaff

FNG
Just saying…while supplies last

Got my order in, thanks dude!

DBird

FNG
Cabela's claims to have the .223 77 TMK in stock, for $44.99/100. Seems legit, it's the Sierra 7177 bullet. I ordered some yesterday and they shipped today.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Also wanted to say thanks, I believe I was able to get 3 but had to do so in multiple orders due to stock changing as I ordered. We’ll see!

WestTN2288

Lil-Rokslider
read this whole thing and it has opened a whole new can of worms on my reloading bench. Just built a 10.5in SBR for fun. However, I couldn’t help but notice how easy it is to pack around. Now I have a bullet shopping list and wait for November to give it a shot hunting.

Reading through the entire thread now, only at page 80 or so.

I joined rokslide because of this thread, it had great first hand evidence/information.

Thanks to all who contributed to this knowledge.
————————————
My question

1.)
TMK 77 is likely unobtainable for me in the next few months.

what I can obtain is,

Federal fusion 62g
Or…
Hornady ELD-M 73g

Which would be preferred for hunting deer? Are they equivalent or is one clearly a better choice?

1st hand is experience and opinion and a welcomed.

if this has already been addressed specifically in the thread
and someone has a link to the thread page that would be appreciated as well.

fwafwow

WKR
Reading through the entire thread now, only at page 80 or so.

I joined rokslide because of this thread, it had great first hand evidence/information.

Thanks to all who contributed to this knowledge.
————————————
My question

1.)
TMK 77 is likely unobtainable for me in the next few months.

what I can obtain is,

Federal fusion 62g
Or…
Hornady ELD-M 73g

Which would be preferred for hunting deer? Are they equivalent or is one clearly a better choice?

1st hand is experience and opinion and a welcomed.

if this has already been addressed specifically in the thread
and someone has a link to the thread page that would be appreciated as well.
You can use the search function and limit to this thread. I did quick searches for both weights and there were quite a few results