22-250 / 22cm with TMK’s and ELDM’s

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
After re-re-re-reading the .223/TMK thread and seeing Form (I think? maybe I need to re-re-re-re-read it) saying the 88 ELD-M was worthy of building a gun around, it made me wonder if the T3X 22-250 1:8 is the easiest plug+play option out there? Granted, I'd have to handload the ELD-M, but I wouldn't have to rechamber or rebarrel. I'd want to at least thread it 1/2x28, so maybe chop it to 20" at the same time. Another rabbit hole for this year I guess?

After re-re-re-reading the .223/TMK thread and seeing Form (I think? maybe I need to re-re-re-re-read it) saying the 88 ELD-M was worthy of building a gun around, it made me wonder if the T3X 22-250 1:8 is the easiest plug+play option out there? Granted, I'd have to handload the ELD-M, but I wouldn't have to rechamber or rebarrel. I'd want to at least thread it 1/2x28, so maybe chop it to 20" at the same time. Another rabbit hole for this year I guess?

That 88 ELD-M is what I why thinking about building a 22-243 probably with an 18” barrel. Should be able to get decent speed with a shorter barrel and I have a bunch of 243 brass I could neck down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idahodave

WKR
You can’t just nonchalantly post an elk kill with the 88s and not give any details!
Haha…not much to tell.

My son‘s scope had an issue in elk camp, so I let him use my .280ai. The 22-250 is the only other rifle I had and brought as an emergency backup. Just happened to have a bull wander past at 270ish (as best I recall) and the rest is history. Killed the buck the day prior at 370ish with little fanfare, which was a confidence booster. The 88 punched through the bull and left a nice blood trail fwtw.

dave

Attachments

• 6D1806C2-CE8F-4C2A-B2A8-F9DB3C147039.jpeg
    6D1806C2-CE8F-4C2A-B2A8-F9DB3C147039.jpeg
    783.2 KB · Views: 102

idahodave

WKR
Found another bull too…but had the .280ai in hand for this one a few days later.

dave

Attachments

• 1ABA5093-399F-4057-8E19-A9EE9452A9EB.jpeg
    1ABA5093-399F-4057-8E19-A9EE9452A9EB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 129
The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Haha…not much to tell.

My son‘s scope had an issue in elk camp, so I let him use my .280ai. The 22-250 is the only other rifle I had and brought as an emergency backup. Just happened to have a bull wander past at 270ish (as best I recall) and the rest is history. Killed the buck the day prior at 370ish with little fanfare, which was a confidence booster. The 88 punched through the bull and left a nice blood trail fwtw.

dave
Stunt shooter. 😁
Looks like a great year all around, congrats to you and R.
Show me a picture with that boy smiling!

BigSky

WKR
Is anybody on this thread having difficulty stabilizing 88 ELDMs with an 8 twist. I've researched it extensively and it appears that some say we need a 7 twist and many say an 8 twist is marginal. Maybe it is rifle dependent. 8 twist seems to work for some people with the 88s and not for others.

I'm going to start loading them for my 8 twist 22-250. My concern comes from the fact I have been considering having my 22-250 re-chambered to 22 Creedmoor. However, if the 8 twist is only marginal, it may be better to just rebarrel with a 7 twist barrel. I guess I'll find out sometime this winter; however, input based on personal experience would be appreciated.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Is anybody on this thread having difficulty stabilizing 88 ELDMs with an 8 twist. I've researched it extensively and it appears that some say we need a 7 twist and many say an 8 twist is marginal. Maybe it is rifle dependent. 8 twist seems to work for some people with the 88s and not for others.

I'm going to start loading them for my 8 twist 22-250. My concern comes from the fact I have been considering having my 22-250 re-chambered to 22 Creedmoor. However, if the 8 twist is only marginal, it may be better to just rebarrel with a 7 twist barrel. I guess I'll find out sometime this winter; however, input based on personal experience would be appreciated.
No personal experience, though I haven't heard of issues stabilizing 88's in a 1-8 at 22 Creed speeds from friends.

That said, some thoughts:

Thick air is harder to stabilize bullets in. Colder air is thicker air, all else equal.

Bullets launched with a slower muzzle velocity are less stable than bullets launched with a faster muzzle velocity, all else equal. The 22 Creed has more velocity potential than the 22-250.

I'd test the 88's in your 1-8" 22-250 on a cold day this winter. If they'll stabilize, you only will have more margin once it warms up, and more margin if you punch it out to a Creed. If it doesn't, it'd be too close to comfort for me to spend the money on metalwork for that barrel.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

There are no issues with stabilizing the 88gr ELD-M in the Tikka 22-250’s rechambered to 22CM at 0ft DA. I have shot dozens of them.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had any luck tinkering with the .224 Valkyrie? Saw some 88gr ELD-M factory ammo and it got my gears turning. I know it hasn't been a great commercial success, especially in bolt guns, but it's a rare factory option for a 88gr ELD-M combo.