.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

@Tahr
How do you like that Savage LWH?
Its great. That original 1:9 twist barrel wore out and is now replaced by a stainless fluted 1:8.The trigger sear wore down and out of adjustment so it now sports a Timney. Both very good improvements but the original rifle was very accurate and nice to use. I like it a lot.
I neck shot this at 230 yards this evening using a 60 grain Hammer Hunter (shock horror :) ).IMG_0194.jpg

Last edited:
Copy, thanks. I will probably just stick to the Tikka then. Slowly acquiring parts and it’s down to the action and stock. Chris’ presentation at HAHA has me sold on the RokStock. Going to be different for someone that hasn’t shot an elk at over 75yds in many years.

eb7524aa729079600c4444cbf9b259fc.jpg

Another one. Coastal brown bear one shot at 80 yards. Thats the blood trail by its head. Dropped in its tracks hornady fmj. The entry and exit wound was a pencil hole straight through. Shoulder/lung/gut shot on the run
ab675e3f30332d5d4e0aebddd165c8ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another one. Coastal brown bear one shot at 80 yards. Thats the blood trail by its head. Dropped in its tracks hornady fmj. The entry and exit wound was a pencil hole straight through. Shoulder/lung/gut shot on the run

Nice !

What rifle?

I got back out to shoot my N140 and 77TMK ladder today.

CCI400 primers still. T3x with an 18.5-19" barrel.

I had gone to 26gr before with 75 ELD-M so I went there again despite some light cratering. I didn't shoot 26.5gr. I'll probably load 10 around 24.5gr and shoot a group at the same time I shoot the 10 I loaded up with 24.5gr of Match. I have ~13-14lbs of N140 so I'm happy to just shoot these if I can start around 2700fps.

AVtwxm0h.jpg

Previous N140 data with 75 ELD-M from a few years ago for reference.
jQfSMXlh.jpg

Copy, thanks. I will probably just stick to the Tikka then. Slowly acquiring parts and it’s down to the action and stock. Chris’ presentation at HAHA has me sold on the RokStock. Going to be different for someone that hasn’t shot an elk at over 75yds in many years.
I’m confident the RokStok will exceed your expectations!

This thread is for the good...and the bad.
I messed up. Black bear at 234 yards. Shot honestly looked good. He was biting right behind the shoulder so maybe I freckle forward?
Either way my gap was tiny and no following up shot happened. Even with extensive practice racking and shooting.lol
Thick brush and cliffs. No blood...nothing. hours of looking late last night and this morn.
77 tmk.
I'm confident this would have or could have happened with any rifle combination. I just figured it'd interest folks.

This thread is for the good...and the bad.
I messed up. Black bear at 234 yards. Shot honestly looked good. He was biting right behind the shoulder so maybe I freckle forward?
Either way my gap was tiny and no following up shot happened. Even with extensive practice racking and shooting.lol
Thick brush and cliffs. No blood...nothing. hours of looking late last night and this morn.
77 tmk.
I'm confident this would have or could have happened with any rifle combination. I just figured it'd interest folks.

“Right behind the shoulder” is way too far forward.

This one nicked the rear edge the scapula on exit, entrance was armpit in other side-
IMG_8368.jpeg

And it barely caught the front of one lung-

IMG_8386.jpeg

It also shows how small bears actually are in the body, this was a normal sized black bear, and its lungs compared to a soda can-
IMG_8383.jpeg

“Right behind the shoulder” is way too far forward.

This one nicked the rear edge the scapula on exit, entrance was armpit in other side-
View attachment 712186

And it barely caught the front of one lung-

View attachment 712189

It also shows how small bears actually are in the body, this was a normal sized black bear, and its lungs compared to a soda can-
View attachment 712190
That's my point. Hence the "messed up".
Good pics for example tho. It's an easy mistake for me to make.

Reactions: BLJ
Back