.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Did any of you shoot a bull elk in the ass with a 77 TMK a few months ago and fail to recover it? Someone on tw*tter found a crippled elk with a little green plastic tip in what used to be its hip. Rokslide actually mentioned in the comments as being at fault.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Did any of you shoot a bull elk in the ass with a 77 TMK a few months ago and fail to recover it? Someone on tw*tter found a crippled elk with a little green plastic tip in what used to be its hip. Rokslide actually mentioned in the comments as being at fault.
Really?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah there’s a few of these. Though TBF it’s more calls to ban hunting generally or people arguing about whether green tipped .223 ammunition even exists
Got it, must be true as someone randomly posted it. Glad you covered up thier name your so helpful

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I am confused as to the point of your post. Is your point that Rokslide or this thread, in particular, are at fault (if we make the VERY large leap and assume this story is being relayed accurately)?
Is your point that had the shot been made with a .30 cal it wouldnt have been a problem? Again, just really not clear on your point.

I guess I am confused as to the point of your post. Is your point that Rokslide or this thread, in particular, are at fault (if we make the VERY large leap and assume this story is being relayed accurately)?
Is your point that had the shot been made with a .30 cal it wouldnt have been a problem? Again, just really not clear on your point.
Oh, not at all. I was surprised to check back in with how important headstamps appear to be to people outside this bubble, even to people who have encountered this thread and then have it come to mind when they see an elk shot in the ass. My first thought was “why did he shoot it there?”, and the majority reaction is somehow still “why didn’t he use a bigger gun?”

eric1115

WKR
Nope, I only shoot them in the ass with a 300WM. It's much more effective. It's all about the "wallop factor" you get when you have lots of kinetic energy and large frontal diameter!!

Makes up.for shot placement errors really nicely, especially when dealing with challenging angles, heavy bone, etc.

🍿💣

I don’t think it’s worth arguing about, it’s suspicious 4th hand info at best, and assume a lazy attempt to stir the pot. Even the screen name “bull respecter” is suspicious in context

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s worth arguing about, it’s suspicious 4th hand info at best, and assume a lazy attempt to stir the pot. Even the screen name “elk respecter” is suspicious in context
I agree and don’t want a brigade over there. It’s wild to get used to the meticulous stuff posted here and contrast it with what the truth would be if everyone got to vote on it.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Yeah there’s a few of these. Though TBF it’s more calls to ban hunting generally or people arguing about whether green tipped .223 ammunition even exists
What are you referring to with your “yeah, there’s a few of these” statement?

Silly.

Have you ever shot a big game animal with a .223 inside of 450yds with a Black Hills factory 77TMK?

What are you referring to with your “yeah, there’s a few of these” statement?

Silly.

Have you ever shot a big game animal with a .223 inside of 450yds with a Black Hills factory 77TMK?
Man, I really signaled my intent poorly. I meant that I had found a few highly negative comments referring to this thread as if it were somehow responsible for this wounded animal. Sounds stupid to me, but apparently not to anyone else offering comment.

I was not seriously suspicious of someone here having taken that shot. I thought “oh neat, the megathread is getting amplified on a larger platform. Maybe greater acceptance will eventually lead to relaxed caliber restrictions. Uh oh wait they are angry and dumb.”

I’ve missed some of the thread as it has evolved - is there anyone putting pressure directly on regulatory/legislative bodies to keep this well away from snowballing into the next “you all need to shoot copper now”-diktat?

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Bobbing and weaving!!
I suppose I don't know why I should be concerned about hearsay, for some reason I would rather focus on results shown on this thread.