.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus im curious what the next jump up would be in caliber to get into a shoot able rifle for practice and hunting? Is it a 243? I don’t see any issues for hunting with a 223 based off of this thread but Colorado doesn’t allow rifle hunting with it. So looking for a rifle that you can hunt with by each states requirements and also low enough recoil with easy to access ammo (not like a more uncommon caliber) what would that look like?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus im curious what the next jump up would be in caliber to get into a shoot able rifle for practice and hunting? Is it a 243? I don’t see any issues for hunting with a 223 based off of this thread but Colorado doesn’t allow rifle hunting with it. So looking for a rifle that you can hunt with by each states requirements and also low enough recoil with easy to access ammo (not like a more uncommon caliber) what would that look like?

6ARC

Or there is 6 creed it’s got available factory ammo with good bullets And you may be able to find it more readily available.

AndrewD

FNG
Well I read most of this thread last year but I didn't take notes and I don't quite feel like rereading it. I am considering dipping my toes in the .223 hunting world for whitetail this year. When my dad was in his hunting years, he took more than one blacktail with his Mini-14, so aside from this thread, I have trusted evidence that it is a viable caliber.

Long story short, I want a smaller round for hunting whitetail in mountainous timber cuts (50-250 yards). With chronic shoulder issues on both sides, I like the idea of being able to shoot more often with less toll. I have thought a lot about a 6.5CM, but I really like the idea that the lowly .223 is a more than capable round for many situations. I do have a 5.56 AR, but I think I want to stick to bolt-action for hunting, and I really like my wife's 308 Tikka, so a .223 Tikka is at the top of my list.

Not being a handloader, I would appreciate hearing which factory .223 rounds people have had good results with, especially in bolt-actions. I know this is covered in these 300 pages, but a summary on factory rounds would be great.

Drenalin

WKR
Not being a handloader, I would appreciate hearing which factory .223 rounds people have had good results with, especially in bolt-actions. I know this is covered in these 300 pages, but a summary on factory rounds would be great.
Try this:

Stand 1, Black hills, and AAC all load the 77 TMK in factory ammunition.

Or, the 73 ELD-M is also effective.

atmat

WKR
I’m in your boat and decided on a 223 for practice and a 6creed for hunting.

Barrel life on the 223 is just outstanding, and it’s so cheap to shoot. Was cheaper to just buy two rifles.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
What would be your opinion on the top 3 bullets in the 6 ARC if you hand load. I ask the opinion on top 3 because of availability issues (ie hard to find the 108 eldm right now) editing to include bolt gun, 20” barrel let’s say with 7.5 twist

Last edited:
What would be your opinion on the top 3 bullets in the 6 ARC if you hand load. I ask the opinion on top 3 because of availability issues (ie hard to find the 108 eldm right now)

He's said the 112 match burners upset easily/quickly too so my guess would be that the 105 match burners might be a good fit for 6ARC.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What would be your opinion on the top 3 bullets in the 6 ARC if you hand load. I ask the opinion on top 3 because of availability issues (ie hard to find the 108 eldm right now) editing to include bolt gun, 20” barrel let’s say with 7.5 twist

103gr ELD-X, 108/109gr ELD-M, 105 and 112gr Barnes MatchBurner, etc. there’s a bunch that work well.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Would the Howa be the way to go there?

which caliber would you recommend that tikka uses? Looking at what would be compatible with rokstok

For ARC- first choice a Tikka barreled and bolt modded for it. Second, Howa mini with new stock.

For factory Tikka’s, well there’s only the 243win with 1-8” barrel. That’s a good setup for sure. You don’t have to load it to the gills.

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone loading 77tmk in a 14.5" bolt gun? Im thinking a 1:7 for my truck gun and whitetail. Current load is 2960 with CFE and 22"bbl, so maybe I'll get around 2780 in a 14".

Faster twist?

Faster powder than CFE223?

Well I read most of this thread last year but I didn't take notes and I don't quite feel like rereading it. I am considering dipping my toes in the .223 hunting world for whitetail this year. When my dad was in his hunting years, he took more than one blacktail with his Mini-14, so aside from this thread, I have trusted evidence that it is a viable caliber.

Long story short, I want a smaller round for hunting whitetail in mountainous timber cuts (50-250 yards). With chronic shoulder issues on both sides, I like the idea of being able to shoot more often with less toll. I have thought a lot about a 6.5CM, but I really like the idea that the lowly .223 is a more than capable round for many situations. I do have a 5.56 AR, but I think I want to stick to bolt-action for hunting, and I really like my wife's 308 Tikka, so a .223 Tikka is at the top of my list.

I just bought black hills 77TMK. Was easy to find. Getting the AR out of mothballs