.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Here is some velocity data I gathered the other day with the AAC Sabre Black Tip 75gr.

10.5“ suppressed AR. I plan to hunt with this gun as an alternative to my Howa mini depending on terrain, expected range, etc. Figured I‘d run TMKs with the bolt gun, and try the Sabre stuff with the AR.

One shot didn’t register because I shot too quickly. Pretty decent ES and SD for such cheap ammo. Also seems pretty accurate with a red dot at 36 yards.

If this projectile is in any way similar to the 77TMK regarding velocity threshold, this is a 250 yard gun with Sabre ammo. TMK at same MV would be a 300 yard gun.

I also plan to chrono BH 77 TMK vs AAC 77 TMK vs Federal LE 77 TMK at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_6681.jpeg
    IMG_6681.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 67

Lil-Rokslider
I only have experience with xbr but I’d say that’s fairly fast, my go to tmk load is about 2725 with a suppressed 16.5” barrel.
Anyone know what powder Stand 1 is using in their 77gr TMK load? I have H4895, Varget, CFE223 on hand. Need to work up a load for my grandson to use next fall out of my 18" 1-8" AR as it is the only rifle I have that will fit him.

Lil-Rokslider
The 68 grain frontier isntbad either for training. I use it when I'm sighting in (save eldms til I'm close and finetuning) and kind of surprised at this 3 shot group I got a couple weeks ago when boresighting. Online it's pretty close in price to 73 g eldm so it might make more sense just to get eldm but I can't order online and my lgs has this for substantially cheaper so I'll shoot it from time to time.
View attachment 675938
My son uses the 68gr Frontier 556 load for his PSA 1-7" AR and it hammers coyotes.

Juan_ID

WKR
Anyone know what powder Stand 1 is using in their 77gr TMK load? I have H4895, Varget, CFE223 on hand. Need to work up a load for my grandson to use next fall out of my 18" 1-8" AR as it is the only rifle I have that will fit him.
I’d guess they use some kind of proprietary blend powder for their ammo. Of your choices I would think the 4895 would probably work the best.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
H4895 works real good in my tikka with the 75eldm

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I’m rolling with TAC and it’s been good. My only powder I’ve tried though and hasn’t given me a reason to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve had issues with temp changes effecting TAC. In .308 and .223 so I only use that for plinking rounds. Same with H335.

Lil-Rokslider
H4895 works real good in my tikka with the 75eldm
I am running it with the 75 ELDM in my Tikka Varmint, they are hammers at 3025 fps. I am working on a load for my 18" 1-8" AR so my small framed 8 yr old grandson can shoot his first deer with it. It is the only rifle that I can adjust to his short lop.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
I am running it with the 75 ELDM in my Tikka Varmint, they are hammers at 3025 fps. I am working on a load for my 18" 1-8" AR so my small framed 8 yr old grandson can shoot his first deer with it. It is the only rifle that I can adjust to his short lop.
What powder charge? I'm at 23.9gr and 2901fps from a 22" superlite.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
That looks good but are there any FFP scopes under 1500.00 that have can be used at lower powers for older guys?
Though its been answered, I'd strongly recommend the Trijicon Credo HX 1-8. Excellent glass, great holdover reticle, FFP, and it can be illuminted in either green or red. I'm putting one on a 16.5" 223 Pork Sword I'm setting up.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus

Out of curiosity have you tried or witnessed animals taken with M193?

Does the yaw that is supposed to be so effective on humans translate to usable terminal performance on game?
As Form said, they're iffy. When I was active duty I had the fortune to get to do 4 legged cull kill sweeps on the base every thursday night. We went out with a patrol truck, M4's, and a spotlight and shot any 4 legged critters that could foul up an aircraft during landing or takeoff. We used standard issued FMJ ammo. Killed hundreds of deer, coyotes, and other 4 legged critters. While the wounds weren't ideal we also never lost any animals. But they were also little florida deer, and most of them were well under 100 pounds. But, they were certainly dead after 1 or 2 of them.

Last edited:

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
H4895, xbr, benchmark. I’m not sure on case fill with Viht powders, n540 is supposed to be a velocity beast but not temp stable.
You may want to try StaBall 6.5. Reportedly it's pretty temp stable, and you can get seriously good case fill on it. I use it for 22CM and will also try it in 223.

You may want to try StaBall 6.5. Reportedly it's pretty temp stable, and you can get seriously good case fill on it. I use it for 22CM and will also try it in 223.
Assume staball 6.5 would be a bit slow burning, match would probably be the choice.
As does Unknown Munitions
Yes, if one wants to pay $3/ea $1.45 for real nice 223 ammo. [edit: UM seems like a nice option especially for bolt guns and guys willing to spend $1.50 or more for quality 223.]

Last edited:
Last time I priced UM 223 I thought it was $145 per 100.

That's not $3 per round.

Good correction! I was used to most of their ammo being sold in 50 counts. That is a really good buy actually compared to others at that price especially for people who want them loaded beyond ar mag length.