.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

sveltri

WKR
Has anyone tried Reloader TS 15.5 with the 77TMKs?

I know XBR 8208 is the golden child, but I'm going to have to settle for a powder that actually exists...
I threw a near max or max load in a case and ended up a pseudo nose ring in the bullet it was so compressed, I just pulled the bullet and grabbed the XBR.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
Same here on the Reloder 15.5, way compressed and whacks up the tip of the bullet. My wife and I also have spring bear tags, will do our best to fill them with the 77 TMK.

D R T

FNG
50 pages down. Only 284 more to go. Tikka 223 stainless arrived. 77 tmk’s. First group .783 MOA. More than satisfied with the start. Looking forward to the journey.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-27 18:22:30.144339.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-27 18:22:30.144339.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 47

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried Reloader TS 15.5 with the 77TMKs?

I know XBR 8208 is the golden child, but I'm going to have to settle for a powder that actually exists...
Better to stick with a faster powder when using a stick powder. That 77tmk puts a lot of bullet in the case at mag length. Even with 23.5g of xbr I get a little crunch. If I had to pick a readily available stick powder I would probably look hard at benchmark given the prices of some of the alternatives.

I like n135 but it’s a little more bulky than xbr so it seems to run out of room before it gets too hot. I wanted to try n133 but never got around to it, I have become pretty happy with LVR what little I have used it. I was never one for ball powder but for the 223 I think it will become my xbr replacement.

JJ3

FNG
What about AR Comp? Right between XBR and Tac on the burn rate chart, supposed to be very temp stable.
Works well for me with heavies and it meters well. Makes good speed and accurate too….but it’s another nonexistent or extremely overpriced powder for the last few years.

JJ3

FNG
Not exactly like for like, but if you want to spend some time on YouTube, this guy spent a lot of time trying to clone mk262 77gr ammo. Lots of different powder tried.
I Watched that whole playlist and ended up in the exact same place with a different method after. My go to bulk load is 25.2 A2520 under 77smk, 75hpbt and 77 ncc or what ever 73-77gr I have available.

I even took my buck this year with a 73eldm over same charge in LC brass.

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I Watched that whole playlist and ended up in the exact same place with a different method after. My go to bulk load is 25.2 A2520 under 77smk, 75hpbt and 77 ncc or what ever 73-77gr I have available.

I even took my buck this year with a 73eldm over same charge in LC brass.
Have you compared it in hot vs cold?

JJ3

FNG
Have you compared it in hot vs cold?
Yes….about 1fps per degree. A2520 is temp sensitive for sure and can have pretty big spikes at max load in the sticky hot summer. This particular load doesn’t have that issue in my guns.

I also have a A2520 55sp load that shoots lights out but I don’t remember the charge off hand. My oldest son took his first deer with it out of a 18” ar. Perfect shot behind shoulder at 40y and ran 30after. No drama.

Honestly have yet to loose one to a .223 in our sample size of about a dozen. Hunting mentor buddy always has a reason it won’t work next time though.

Yes….about 1fps per degree. A2520 is temp sensitive for sure and can have pretty big spikes at max load in the sticky hot summer. This particular load doesn’t have that issue in my guns.

I also have a A2520 55sp load that shoots lights out but I don’t remember the charge off hand. My oldest son took his first deer with it out of a 18” ar. Perfect shot behind shoulder at 40y and ran 30after. No drama.

Honestly have yet to loose one to a .223 in our sample size of about a dozen. Hunting mentor buddy always has a reason it won’t work next time though.
I’ve got a buddy who’s the same first a 243 wasn’t enough then the 223 wasn’t enough then it may work on a little hill deer at 150 but definitely not on anything bigger or any farther away. lol. His 308 and 270 just have so much more stopping power!

Odd1out

FNG
I used to use lapua and have since switched to starline. I’d say use what you got, I’ve also used pmc brass from 55gr factory ammo. It worked just fine too but only lasted about 5 firings. I’m up to 4x on some of the starline and it still seems tight.
Starline brass with cci 400s or should i look for other primers?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk