.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

fwafwow

WKR
There are 330 pages, easy to do. I gotta learn how to navigate the forum.
That’s the easy part, in hindsight. I still have more substantial and fundamental problems, both from a personality and capabilities (or lack thereof) standpoint.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Some dwell on "hypothetical" and oo forming a Hypothesis, I read this to see actual results, not too worried about someone's theories!

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
8d5939a9ad2c9246788f817bb7c3b5c6.jpg

Pic for attention. My question - AR platform or bolt gun 223 for whitetail hunting ? What’s your preference ? I have both and finally got a good scope and want to make one my “primary” hunting rig. In the AR I shoot the 77 tmk and have taken 7-8 deer with the tmk now and my 223 bolt I shoot the 73 Eldm to keep them separate. No harvest with 73 Yet. what is your preferred platform? i love the AR but it trashes brash. I took 2 doe in a matter of 5 seconds this year. But theres something special about a bolt gun. mine is the ruger predator 223. thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahr

FNG
Here are 3 different deer shot with the 77TMK last night with different points of impact and reactions.

1) This was 130 yards. Ran about 100 yards but had busted shoulder and was dead on its feet. This was a large Red deer hind. There was a large hole through the ribs under the shoulder - pics to follow.

2) This one was 137 yards and ran less than 15 yards. A Fallow doe I guess of about whitetail size.

3) This one is self explanatory. 100 yards. The rifle is sighted in for 200 yards hence the slightly low hold.

There is a couple of things worth noting; how still the gun stays after the shot and is able to track the animal, and that the 77TMK does not have magical qualities. Excellent in their class but they are not pixie dust. There are seldom blood trails and exits (save for the head shot). And you get a lot of runners when you don't use the high shoulder, neck or head shot. They almost never go far though. In spite of this thread's focus I think you could still toss a coin over the TMK and the 80 ELDM - the difference is more academic than real.

Last edited:

Odd1out

FNG
Thx one more, prefered brass or just run what you find or got?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Juan_ID

WKR
I used to use lapua and have since switched to starline. I’d say use what you got, I’ve also used pmc brass from 55gr factory ammo. It worked just fine too but only lasted about 5 firings. I’m up to 4x on some of the starline and it still seems tight.

Odd1out

FNG
I used to use lapua and have since switched to starline. I’d say use what you got, I’ve also used pmc brass from 55gr factory ammo. It worked just fine too but only lasted about 5 firings. I’m up to 4x on some of the starline and it still seems tight.
By tight you mean loose primer pockets

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

So this thread has convinced me to order a Tikka in 223 today and give it a try on Texas game. Will be crows, hogs and deer. However, I can’t find any of the 77 gr TMK’s anywhere to try out. I’m trying to get things ordered so I can start putting loads together. Is there any discussion in here going over the Hornady ELD-M options and comparing them to the TMK? Not sure I have time to go back through all 300 pages and still get stuff together before the rifle gets here.

Jimbee

WKR
So this thread has convinced me to order a Tikka in 223 today and give it a try on Texas game. Will be crows, hogs and deer. However, I can’t find any of the 77 gr TMK’s anywhere to try out. I’m trying to get things ordered so I can start putting loads together. Is there any discussion in here going over the Hornady ELD-M options and comparing them to the TMK? Not sure I have time to go back through all 300 pages and still get stuff together before the rifle gets here.
Midway has 77tmk seconds

73 gr eldm