.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x with the long range moa reticle that provides a hash mark every 1 moa for 20 moa on windage and elevation. For a set and forget scope, it works and give way more precision than a standard bdc reticle. They can be had for less than $200 if you look around.

I like that setup. I’m leaning toward a hold over setup. Thanks brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
Haven’t ran over one with a Cat but I’ve got a couple Sightron STAC’s that have treated me very well.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
ed9de1ae2f03135c32ca9bb42ec6d6fd.jpg

I’m giving up for now on the nonexistent 6x SWFA. I need a scope. Since I limit myself to 400 yards. Is there a good scope option with hold over reticles and not dialing turrets that the RS crew recommends ? PFA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of what is currently available in the sub $900 catogory, this is what I would choose-

That is a far better scope than any others that have been mentioned.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
That looks good but are there any FFP scopes under 1500.00 that have can be used at lower powers for older guys?

Of what is currently available in the sub $900 catogory, this is what I would choose-

That is a far better scope than any others that have been mentioned.
I’ve been looking at the SFP Trijicon Credo’s because of your testing and the SWFA 3-9 being tough to find. Do you have any information on whether the Sightron will hold zero? I didn’t see it in the list of tested scopes.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at the SFP Trijicon Credo’s because of your testing and the SWFA 3-9 being tough to find. Do you have any information on whether the Sightron will hold zero? I didn’t see it in the list of tested scopes.
Kenko, who owns Sightron, is who makes the fixed power SWFA scopes. That bodes well for them…and the ExacTrack system is solid.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Do you have any information on whether the Sightron will hold zero? I didn’t see it in the list of tested scopes.

It has not been evaled. I have used them a bit, and what I’ve seen they have worked fine in normal use- I am not saying they are on the same reliability and durability level as NF, SWFA, etc. But, 100% I would choose them over what people were suggesting earlier.

Is there a drop test forthcoming for this scope?

Nothing is in the works. If someone wants to send one in I/we would.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
it’s a fascinating concept with incredible amounts of evidence of effectiveness. I’ve gone from 223 to 6.5 grendel to 308 after killing Hundreds of hogs on our ranch prioritizing short tracking jobs. I’ve been impressed with the effectiveness of the 308 but much prefer the shootability of the 223 and grendel.

Many hogs are killed from a gator on quick snap-shots where you often dont have time to set up a steady shot from a bag. My experience says the 308 “kills better” but, again, the evidence presented in this thread is undeniable.
I’ve hunted hogs on my place with a 26” 223, 16” 223rem, 16” 5.56 ar, 18” 22creed, 16” 243win, 18” 6.5creed, 12.5” 6.5grendel ar, 16” 30-06 and several more. I have the same thoughts. The 223rem with 80eldms are great if I have a vantage point/field and room for follow up shots but there is def some hogs that would have gone a lot further if I hadn’t got a follow up shot in. The quick recovery after recoil and being able to watch everything in the scope is nice. But when it comes to quick snap shots in thick brush or on the run where you only get one shot. The short 30/06 with 180-220gr bullets is king IMO. A bad shot is a bad shot but with the 06 it can still anchor or slow down hogs easier and give a larger margin for error regarding shot placement. Although I take much riskier shots with hogs than I would game animals. Now that I set up a shorter hunting rig in 223rem and have been using it more the last few years I’ve gained a whole new respect for it and proven to myself how effective it can be especially at killing more multiples on the run simply due to the low recoil, quick follow up shots, and 10rd mags.

Last edited:

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 for over 10 years or more probably and I have another SIII 6-24x50 that’s a little newer with the better target turrets. Bought both used for a good price. I’ve never put them through a thorough evaluation like form does. But I’ve been very happy with them overall and made a lot of long range harvest with the oldest SIII. Not to mention it rode on my 338edge Imp for 2,469 rounds and is used on several other rifles. I’ve mounted and zeroed two 3-16x42 SFP S-Tacs for friends and was impressed with them for a $400 scope. Would be nice to see form test a s-tac & SIII

It has not been evaled. I have used them a bit, and what I’ve seen they have worked fine in normal use- I am not saying they are on the same reliability and durability level as NF, SWFA, etc. But, 100% I would choose them over what people were suggesting earlier.

Thanks for sharing your experience. All the feedback I have seen so far seems positive considering the price.

letrbuck

WKR

If their warranty was a little more like others, I would send mine in...

"This warranty does not cover damage that occurs in shipment or failures that result from accidents, misuse, abuse, unauthorized alterations, theft, modifications and acts of God."

I think you'd fall under "act of God"

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
If their warranty was a little more like others, I would send mine in...

"This warranty does not cover damage that occurs in shipment or failures that result from accidents, misuse, abuse, unauthorized alterations, theft, modifications and acts of God."

I think you'd fall under "act of God"
Not Leupold’s god