.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
This is kind of where i’m stuck. The ability to stay on target with a 22 caliber, deliver quick follow-up shots (if presented) but also incapacitating as quickly as possible, sometimes with suboptimal accuracy.

An AR-platform 22arc seems to be a hybridization of the small frame 223 and the energy output of the 22 creed/22-250 but would require me to reload, or better yet have my dad (whom I gave all of my reloading equipment to…thanks 3 year old that occupies much of my free time)

My ruger SFAR was supposed to be the perfect solution for what I needed but had been an utter piece of sh!t and can’t make it 2 rounds without having ejection issues.

I thought about the 22arc as well but can’t see the point, I would rather have the 223 with the abundance of ammo and brass available being that it is plenty of cartridge in the ranges you listed.

No ARs here so I can’t help you in that department, I’m using a bolt gun. I will say I was a lever gun man for a long time because of how fast I can shoot one, after shooting a deer this year with the 223 I was amazed watching the whole thing unfold. I put a second shot into an animal dead on its feet because I always shoot until they are down. Looking back at it now I more than likely would have watched the animal fall before I got another shot off with something larger if it killed as fast as the 223 did that day.

I shot saw the impact, racked the bolt, and shot again all in the matter of a couple seconds. The deer never left the scope from the time I started until it was laying there dead. I’m sold on it as a 0-500yd gun given the wind isn’t too extreme, I see no need for anything else for my deer hunting here. This coming from a guy who used to think I needed a 30 cal to do the job, one with a magnum head stamp was all the better.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I am asking this question for my own knowledge and understanding of terminal ballistics.

What advantages do heavier bullets offer besides higher BCs,wind deflection. Will the extra weight of the heavier bullet drive the bullet deeper and still have the same wound channel with more penetration?

In a fragmenting bullet of the same caliber, a heavier bullet has more to fragment- meaning, all else being equal it penetrates deeper, and the width of the wound is wider/larger the whole length.

This is kind of where i’m stuck. The ability to stay on target with a 22 caliber, deliver quick follow-up shots (if presented) but also incapacitating as quickly as possible, sometimes with suboptimal accuracy.

An AR-platform 22arc seems to be a hybridization of the small frame 223 and the energy output of the 22 creed/22-250 but would require me to reload, or better yet have my dad (whom I gave all of my reloading equipment to…thanks 3 year old that occupies much of my free time)

My ruger SFAR was supposed to be the perfect solution for what I needed but had been an utter piece of sh!t and can’t make it 2 rounds without having ejection issues.
I’m in Texas as well and see the same type of hunting scenarios youve described. A 7 or 8 twist ar is going to do everything you want with a 556 and 77tmk. I’ve been killing animals with a 556 ar platform for many years at this point and wouldn’t hesitate to set one up for this combo. If you really need to anchor them, a central nervous system hit is always an option.

77Grains

FNG
The TMK is a beast of a bullet. It’s too bad everyone has figured it out because prices for commercial 77 grain TMK have just gone through the roof. And besides that availability has become low. I mean just look at Stand 1 they are charging almost 2.00 per round. Last year they were 1.20 a round. And they are not even loading it to 5.56 pressure. BH is pricey as well and I just cannot bring myself to pay the prices. I have found other alternatives and now buy ballistic tipped rounds in 5.56 from other loaders.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
ed9de1ae2f03135c32ca9bb42ec6d6fd.jpg

I’m giving up for now on the nonexistent 6x SWFA. I need a scope. Since I limit myself to 400 yards. Is there a good scope option with hold over reticles and not dialing turrets that the RS crew recommends ? PFA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xsn10s

WKR

I’m giving up for now on the nonexistent 6x SWFA. I need a scope. Since I limit myself to 400 yards. Is there a good scope option with hold over reticles and not dialing turrets that the RS crew recommends ? PFA

I use a mil based scope to hold overs. Currently on my AR15 I use a Nikon 4-14 SFP mildot scope out to 800 yards. But any decent mildot or mil based scope should work well depending on the load or ammo. Check for yourself on a ballistics program. I plugged in a 77gr TMK with a muzzle velocity of 2750 fps, 1.7 scope height, at 2200 ft elevation. Easy reticle to use out to 500 yards.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
I use a mil based scope to hold overs. Currently on my AR15 I use a Nikon 4-14 SFP mildot scope out to 800 yards. But any decent mildot or mil based scope should work well depending on the load or ammo. Check for yourself on a ballistics program. I plugged in a 77gr TMK with a muzzle velocity of 2750 fps, 1.7 scope height, at 2200 ft elevation. Easy reticle to use out to 500 yards.

Would something like a BDC scope work too? The center cross then 3 dots? I figure that would take me to 400 ish

xsn10s

WKR
Would something like a BDC scope work too? The center cross then 3 dots? I figure that would take me to 400 ish

It might, it all depends on how the ammo works with the subtentions or dots. IMO using a mildot or mil hash marked reticle works better because it's consistent. Plug in your ammo to a ballistics app like jbm. Or just post your ammo specs here. Bullet, velocity, elevation, scope height will get you started.

xsn10s

WKR

If you already have to scope then give it a try. Just zero it with your ammo of choice and shoot it at 100, 200. 300 yards and so on.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider

They’re out there, just have to narrow your search to the classifieds, check regularly and be quick to respond/PM.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider

They’re out there, just have to narrow your search to the classifieds, check regularly and be quick to respond/PM.

Yeah and too I just ain’t paying more than retail because supply issues lol. Thanks man

xsn10s

WKR

Is $500 the going rate for one?

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
I was kinda also thinking a non dialing setup would be very reliable in the deer woods ?

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I was kinda also thinking a non dialing setup would be very reliable in the deer woods ?

Fair enough on not paying more than retail, though I agree with others that something so hard to get may fetch a premium price. I’m sorry to tell you, but if $500 is too much money, then a reliable scopes will be hard to find.

That said, perhaps start a thread in optics forum stating your budget, intended use and any other requirements or prior to that do a deep search as many have asked similar questions in the past.

Edit to add - Also read over the scope evaluations if you haven’t already done so:

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
Fair enough on not paying more than retail, though I agree with others that something so hard to get may fetch a premium price. I’m sorry to tell you, but if $500 is too much money, then a reliable scopes will be hard to find.

That said, perhaps start a thread in optics forum stating your budget, intended use and any other requirements or prior to that do a deep search as many have asked similar questions in the past.

Edit to add - Also read over the scope evaluations if you haven’t already done so:

$500 isn’t too much money. Just won’t pay 500 for a 300 scope haha. Thanks sir. I’ve checked those out.

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider

I have a Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x with the long range moa reticle that provides a hash mark every 1 moa for 20 moa on windage and elevation. For a set and forget scope, it works and give way more precision than a standard bdc reticle. They can be had for less than $200 if you look around.