.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
LRO is Fudd city USA.

Let's start a bingo board for their thread on the .223 topic:

It would have spots for Fudd phrases such as: "use enough gun", ft. lbs of energy, 30 cal or bust, animals deserve better etc.

Could be a grand ol time.
I appreciate you and this opinion...

Not gonna happen on this thread.

Objectivity is the intent with this entire thread!

Please, EVERYONE prove the wound channel from the 77TMK with an impact velocity of 1800fps is terminally ineffective on any/every big game animal on the face of the North American Continent.

Please, prove this hypothesis incorrect!

I’m here to learn.

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
The longest kill we have with the Hornady 75gr was at 340 yards on a big bodied buck. The shot was quartering away with a complete pass through and wrecked insides. The deer ran 20 yard and tipped over. I do a lot of hunting in open country and shoot game at long range every year. I shoot a 6.5prc and a 300 prc currently in my bolt guns and take part in the killing of around a dozen game animals yearly. My longest kill is over 900 yards with a 25 creedmoor. I say all that to make a point - of all the animals I’ve seen killed at various ranges and with different cartridges, the biggest difference I see is in the bullet being used and the speed it impacts the animal at. The bullet size seems irrelevant.

Attachments

• IMG_8563.jpeg
    IMG_8563.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_8507.jpeg
    IMG_8507.jpeg
    715.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_8549.jpeg
    IMG_8549.jpeg
    791.6 KB · Views: 118
LRO is Fudd city USA.

Let's start a bingo board for their thread on the .223 topic:

It would have spots for common Fudd phrases such as: "use enough gun", ft. lbs of energy, 30 cal or bust, animals deserve better etc.

Could be a grand ol time.
Bingo! I am tempted to engage on there but thinking I’d better not.

Got into it a bit with Furman on tuning/.5moa all day/we owe it to the animals to tune at 1000 yards etc. not a fruitful discussion.

I think I’m on thin ice with those dudes but honestly I haven’t learned much from that forum in years so I don’t know why I even bother.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR

Got into it a bit with Furman on tuning/.5moa all day/we owe it to the animals to tune at 1000 yards etc. not a fruitful discussion.

I think I’m on thin ice with those dudes but honestly I haven’t learned much from that forum in years so I don’t know why I even bother.
Skip it.

Critical thinking, objectivity and effective killing matter.

I read that thread and his closemindedness about everything that is different from what he does turns me away from any advice he could give. Ive seen some instances where what he types comes off as plain condescending and rude though I can imagine answering the same questions time after time can get old. Pretty sad when Ive read some of his older posts that were beyond helpful to the person asking the question

Staying on track:
IMG_9238.png

It’s almost here… my kid won’t see it until her birthday in June but by then it will be hammering already!

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Those of you who are shooting the 75 eld-m.. what length are you seating them to that seems to be the sweet spot? They are a lot longer than the 73gr that I'm used to and seem less forgiving. Thanks!

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Those of you who are shooting the 75 eld-m.. what length are you seating them to that seems to be the sweet spot? They are a lot longer than the 73gr that I'm used to and seem less forgiving. Thanks!

I just got my first batch and loaded them 2.475. Initially they worked ok but after getting some fouling I had a bullet get stuck in the throat so I’m going to try 2.450 or 2.425. This is in a tikka. The shortest you can go is ~2.390 if I’m not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fudd

FNG
Just finished the whole thread over about three weeks, thanks to all who contributed. I’m a proud fudd at heart, but guns are tools to help me accomplish a task, and this tool works. I actually found this thread looking for tips on making a lightweight 22-250 into a freezer filler, but that will be a rss in 223 now.

All that said, with swfa seemingly out of the game, what’s the go-to lightweight but durable scope?

When it comes to 223 brass/powder at current availability, just grab some starline and varget and roll? Anything else I should be watching out for?

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished the whole thread over about three weeks, thanks to all who contributed. I’m a proud fudd at heart, but guns are tools to help me accomplish a task, and this tool works. I actually found this thread looking for tips on making a lightweight 22-250 into a freezer filler, but that will be a rss in 223 now.

All that said, with swfa seemingly out of the game, what’s the go-to lightweight but durable scope?

When it comes to 223 brass/powder at current availability, just grab some starline and varget and roll? Anything else I should be watching out for?
There have been quite a few Swfa scopes in the classifieds lately it’s worth watching for one.

I have switched from Lapua to starline due to availability and doubt I will ever go back. The starline brass has been very good so far and quite a lot cheaper.

There are a lot of powders that work well, I have done well with xbr, varget, n135, TAC, LVR, rl15, ar-comp, and benchmark in no particular order. I buy what is available at the time, I think in all of the loads I have done the most I have adjusted zero switching powders or primers and using the same Hornady 75bthp bullet is .2mil. My hunting loads using the 77tmk usually fall in that category depending on the particular practice load I’m using, occasionally it takes .3 or .4mil to re-adjust.

Jimbee

WKR

Thread 'Swfa 6x mil' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/swfa-6x-mil.345274/

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider

I’ve switched to Starline brass as well, have used Norma or Lapua in past, but can’t get much of either, unless it’s primed Norma brass which hasn’t been overly good. I love XBR 8208, but TAC has been good as has PP-2000-MR. I also have some Staball Match to try, but won’t till I burn all the 8208 up. It has reported good velocities and is supposed to be a temp stable ball powder for use with heavy bullet weights in .223.

The longest kill we have with the Hornady 75gr was at 340 yards on a big bodied buck. The shot was quartering away with a complete pass through and wrecked insides. The deer ran 20 yard and tipped over. I do a lot of hunting in open country and shoot game at long range every year. I shoot a 6.5prc and a 300 prc currently in my bolt guns and take part in the killing of around a dozen game animals yearly. My longest kill is over 900 yards with a 25 creedmoor. I say all that to make a point - of all the animals I’ve seen killed at various ranges and with different cartridges, the biggest difference I see is in the bullet being used and the speed it impacts the animal at. The bullet size seems irrelevant.
Very cool and glad to see you’re getting good results with the 75BTHP. I wish there was a little more information here than “inconsistent”. I can’t figure out if that’s inconsistent on elk, prairie dogs, or something in the middle. From what little I’ve seen, they seem perfect for whitetails