.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

So if I’m understanding this correctly you guys are saying more velocity and mass (energy) has no effect on how a bullet acts when it hits an animal or in other words terminal performance?

What has been said over and over is that it's bullet construction. Different types of bullets react differently at impact, and are designed to work within velocity windows.

The way a bullet acts when it hits an animal is going to be a reflection of construction and velocity. The bullet is either going to open up or it isn't.

If it was energy that made terminal performance, then every bullet would have the same terminal performance in the same weight and impact velocity.

10E

FNG
What has been said over and over is that it's bullet construction. Different types of bullets react differently at impact, and are designed to work within velocity windows.

The way a bullet acts when it hits an animal is going to be a reflection of construction and velocity. The bullet is either going to open up or it isn't.

If it was energy that made terminal performance, then every bullet would have the same terminal performance in the same weight and impact velocity.
A few memes and already called a troll for having a different opinion. Energy is connected to terminal performance , and bullet construction can give a smaller cartridge a larger than typical cartridge wounding performance on game it likewise can give a larger cartridge smaller than potential wounding. We are going around in circles here. 😂 I give up. Re-read my posts. I can’t argue points I have not made.

Got real quiet with the 223 rem example I gave though. I feel like most people inside know that this is a bad idea. I’ve read it on a post years ago. You may get a mouse to nearly the speed of a cat, but at the end of the day the cat still eats.

The same applies to the 223. You may get a 223 Rem to nearly the wounding potential of a big magnum, but at the end of the day the more energy (mass/velocity) is going to create a bigger wound WITH an equally/appropriately match bullet construction to that increased mass/ velocity. The 223 can be extremely lethal killing very quickly in some cases (proven countless times by now on this thread), however if you wander too far out of the velocity/ mass and bullet construction, or shot placement parameters you may experience slower kills or unrecovered game.

This is the fine print on using a small cartridge with low energy and the wrong bullet construction. It frankly doesn’t get mentioned enough. If you think a big magnum can be slow killing with a mismatched bullet try it with a 223 and it can get way worse. It should be stated over and over because at the end of the day you are not on the receiving end of it. There is a living breathing animal that is going to die and your decisions greatly affect how quick, clean, and painless that experience is.

Like it or not the mass, velocity, and narrow bullet selection for this type of construction is a limiting factor in the 223 Rem. And it’s effectiveness at quickly killing game.

Agreed troll.

If had actually read this he would not have asked his last question.

I like type less read more from the OP

Shraggs

WKR
Your question went unanswered because it was addressed early in this long thread.

You have not read this and you’re arguing a false belief you think (not know) is being advocated.

you’ve been given generous advice from at least half dozen members. I hope you take it, no matter how much you know this is an amazing place to learn all kinds of things about gear.

A few memes and already called a troll for having a different opinion. Energy is connected to terminal performance , and bullet construction can give a smaller cartridge a larger than typical cartridge wounding performance on game it likewise can give a larger cartridge smaller than potential wounding. We are going around in circles here. 😂 I give up. Re-read my posts. I can’t argue points I have not made.

Got real quiet with the 223 rem example I gave though. I feel like most people inside know that this is a bad idea. I’ve read it on a post years ago. You may get a mouse to nearly the speed of a cat, but at the end of the day the cat still eats.

The same applies to the 223. You may get a 223 Rem to nearly the wounding potential of a big magnum, but at the end of the day the more energy (mass/velocity) is going to create a bigger wound WITH an equally/appropriately match bullet construction to that increased mass/ velocity. The 223 can be extremely lethal killing very quickly in some cases (proven countless times by now on this thread), however if you wander too far out of the velocity/ mass and bullet construction, or shot placement parameters you may experience slower kills or unrecovered game.

This is the fine print on using a small cartridge with low energy and the wrong bullet construction. It frankly doesn’t get mentioned enough. If you think a big magnum can be slow killing with a mismatched bullet try it with a 223 and it can get way worse. It should be stated over and over because at the end of the day you are not on the receiving end of it. There is a living breathing animal that is going to die and your decisions greatly affect how quick, clean, and painless that experience is.

Like it or not the mass, velocity, and narrow bullet selection for this type of construction is a limiting factor in the 223 Rem. And it’s effectiveness at quickly killing game.

If you think this thread is actually about the 223 you just really missed it.

This thread was started about 1 bullet, a few other bullets have shown to have close to similar performance, but this whole thread has revolved around 1 bullet.

The title makes it click bait, and some just can't get past it.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
10E.......Yes, you are correct with the circle analogy.
Look, no one is trying to convince you or anyone else to use a 223. It is CLEARLY evident you have your mindset as to what to use. Great, use it.
You joined Rokslide today and all you have contributed to our site is posting on this thread. As I stated before, I'm not sure why you are here other than to stir the pot and I suspect other alternative reasons. This thread has been very informative to ALOT of members and it certainly is very educational, like it or not.
I can't speak for everyone else but it's obvious to me what you believe.
That being said, if you have any additional information OTHER than what's already been said, then include it. If you don't, well then don't.

Randy

robtattoo

WKR
[mention]10E [/mention] welcome the aboard.

You do make some valid points. Apples to apples the larger caliber will create a larger wound, also at a cost others have chimed in with, more recoil etc. At some point though how big is too big for a wound? I also disagree with your statement about a larger caliber has more room for error with shot placement with folks using off the shelf hunting ammo. You will have a bigger margin for error with a smaller caliber match type bullet vs a larger caliber traditional hunting bullet. FT LBS of energy really don’t have much to with “killing power” The following pictures are examples of such.

300 PRC
205 Berger Elite Hunter
2950 fps 3980 ft lbs at impact
40 yard shot
Deer went 80 yards zero blood on ground

Entrance

f2037e923a139acc8be11e35a0416592.jpg

Insides

2352a86192d9edc9bd0ebbeb8ab00b0b.jpg

Exit - bullet did not exit completely. Bullet was caught under hide.

950e5497e1ab470e11d435cadf448be8.jpg

77 TMK
2650 fps 1200 ft lbs at impact
75 yard shot
Deer went 50 yards with a blood trail

Pointing at impact bullet did not exit

c40cc5683ccf8d6db5c2b4bd2c4b17eb.jpg

Insides

389041e83d076215600a8947df6c7662.jpg

Point being more energy from a larger caliber doesn’t equal more margin for error. Both these shots were close range. I wouldn’t consider these bullets equals but do consider the Berger more frangible then a traditional hunting bullets. I would consider wound channels very similar in damage probably with the 223 being a bit more destructive even. The other benefit is A LOT less recoil with the 223 and actually being able to keep animal in scope after the shot.

Also shot a few deer with a 6.5 cm and a 130 tmk this season. Wound channel better than pictured 300prc and again significantly less recoil. Less ft lbs of energy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus Christ dude! They both look like they were killed with a flying lawnmower! 😳

Pretty sure the lower wound is from an alien. Did you kill it on LV426???

🤣🤣🤣

10E

FNG
10E.......Yes, you are correct with the circle analogy.
Look, no one is trying to convince you or anyone else to use a 223. It is CLEARLY evident you have your mindset as to what to use. Great, use it.
You joined Rokslide today and all you have contributed to our site is posting on this thread. As I stated before, I'm not sure why you are here other than to stir the pot and I suspect other alternative reasons. This thread has been very informative to ALOT of members and it certainly is very educational, like it or not.
I can't speak for everyone else but it's obvious to me what you believe.
That being said, if you have any additional information OTHER than what's already been said, then include it. If you don't, well then don't.

Randy
I appreciate this response and this will be my last post on this thread. It’s interesting that my motives have been questioned multiple times by multiple people. If I agreed with everything in the posts and bashed the opposition would my motives be questioned the same? 🤔in my defense the title of this thread is kinda geared to “stir the pot” and buck the conventional/traditional wisdom (some of which is I agree 100% very wrong) and get people to open their minds to new ideas and evidence. I apologize if I took the check/opposition on some of those points made too far. I don’t mean to offend anyone one with my posts. just felt a little one sided is all. Merry Christmas to everyone! Happy to be here!

A few memes and already called a troll for having a different opinion. Energy is connected to terminal performance , and bullet construction can give a smaller cartridge a larger than typical cartridge wounding performance on game it likewise can give a larger cartridge smaller than potential wounding. We are going around in circles here. I give up. Re-read my posts. I can’t argue points I have not made.

This and your previous post about a heavy Barnes bullet in a 223 seems to point to you seemingly do get idea…. Bullet construction matters A LOT. A small caliber highly frangible bullet will create a larger wound then a large caliber traditional hunting bullet therefore killing faster.
As I said before apples to apples in bullets the larger caliber will make a larger wound. I don’t think this is because of energy though but merely you have more mass to fragment.

Like I tried to highlight in my last post comparing the energy of a 300 prc to a 223. Both ended in kills but from what your saying the 300 should have killed much faster and created a much larger wound being it had over twice as much energy. Should have even exited the animal, which it didn’t. Like I stated earlier it was caught under offside hide. 89 grains left over. It did not kill any faster, maybe even a second or 2 slower even though both animals died in under 10 seconds. Both wounds were very similar with the internal wound from the 300 being slightly smaller. It seems both bullets used full amount of energy because neither exited however the 77 used it all up in the vitals fragmenting completely while the 205 didn’t use up all the potential in the vitals. It could be I’m thinking about that wrong.

We killed 7 deer with that gun last fall all with similar results. It was an eye opener for me. I have shot plenty of deer with a 243 and 75 gr VMax with great results. I expected this 300 prc to leave significantly larger wound channels and have complete pass throughs being significantly more energy. What I got was similar wound channels, a louder gun and more recoil so we couldn’t keep the animal on the scope at the shot. When someone pulls the trigger and doesn’t know where their shot hit cause they lost sight picture, that’s a problem.

This year we killed 7 deer with the 22 cal 77 tmk. 223 and 22 cm. Wounds the same as larger calibers only less recoil, less noise, being able to maintain sight picture through scope and a more enjoyable experience.

The welcome is serious.

I honestly have read the entire thread! It took me a few days to do it before I joined. The issue is “hashed out” has been the cool kids jumping the people who have a different perspective/experience and making blanket statements that are not entirely true. There has also been a fair bit of name calling etc. to people who might have some valid points for the mass of the hunting public not just the guys who gets to shoot a lot and often. I understand that it’s not what everyone wants to hear. The goal is to add my perspective/observation/opinion to the thread and hopefully everyone can decide which side of the fence they want to fall on.

You're just obtuse. That's the source of the push back...trying to move you back on track. You're muddying waters that took hundreds of pages to clear, and for no useful reason.

Additionally, dick moves like mocking and calling folks "cool kids" makes you unwelcome, and it's all based on your rude and silly actions. Good thing you're not in a country bar.

This doesn't mean you aren't welcome to Rokslide.com, just what you are saying here has been hashed out over and over and at this point doesn't add anything useful to this thread.

Last edited:

id_jon

WKR
Obviously a 77tmk vs a magnum barnes is not apples to apples, but neither is the shooting experience of the delivery system, and that is one of the main points of this thread.

could you expand on this a bit more? What made you think this happened?

Mayne I’m not thinking about it the right way. The 205 did use up all the energy in the animal because it didn’t have enough to pass through the animal.

I’m not sure if I’ll explain this very well and maybe it’s not even a thing outside my head. Haha. I guess maybe the energy to weight ratio would be a way to describe it. The ratio for the deer with the 77 tmk the energy got used up in all the 77 grains by completely fragmenting the entire bullet so it was not found. With the 205 there was a good sized chunk of bullet left so the energy available didn’t get used up by expanding the bullet and expending it into fragments. Of course different bullet construction so that’s part of it to.

Maybe that doesn’t make sense or only does in my head. Hahaha

As to the bullet not passing through the deer at that close of a range I’m dumbfounded. I have so explanation to that. Was a slightly quartering to shot, bullet entered and exited body cavity behind shoulders. Maybe hit a rib on each side. Wife shot a deer with same gun at 120 yards with similar results. Dead deer with bullet caught under opposite hide.

Edited to add :

Before this experience with several deer with this 300 PRC that energy was king. And pair that with a rapid expanding bullet and you’d be unstoppable. Haha. After that I stumbled onto this thread and it was an eye opener. Learning the truth that it’s the speed that causes a bullet to start upsetting not the energy. Digging into it more bullet makers have a speed threshold for their bullets not an energy threshold. Mind. Blown. Make you wonder why states have energy minimums and the majority of the gun industry talks about energy when it’s really not part of the equation. Its speed not energy that causes expansion.

My theory, based on what I’ve experienced, is that with a bullet you’ll have generally the same amount of penetration across the speed range with the wound channel being more explosive and larger at the high end of the velocity range and the opposite at the lower end. With the bullet fragmenting more at high end creating that larger wound and at the lower end the bullet holding together more. I could wrong on this but it seems like that with the deer we’ve shot not o ly with the 22 cals but across the board. I know there’s another factors that play a role in penetration as well so I’m just generalizing here.

Last edited:

chamois

FNG
Energy is not connected to killing power in any way, given a minimum impact speed to upset the bullet.

And one should never trust the supposedly added margin a larger, heavier bullet might provide. Place any outside the vitals and you have a mess to deal with.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Energy is not connected to killing power in any way, given a minimum impact speed to upset the bullet.

And one should never trust the supposedly added margin a larger, heavier bullet might provide. Place any outside the vitals and you have a mess to deal with.
Yes most definitely. Before I understood bear anatomy I hit a black bear too far forward on the shoulder (bear vitals are a bit farther back compared to a deer). The bear rolled over and ran off. There was even a nice blood trail. But I never found that bear. I looked till dark then tried some more the next day. The trail faded out and I gave up following random game trails when I realized the meat and hide would be wasted anyway. I felt terrible. Oh yes the rifle was a 375 Ruger with Nosler Partitions. So the bigger gun didn't really help. A better placed shot or a quick follow up would have solved that problem but not a bigger gun.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Yes most definitely. Before I understood bear anatomy I hit a black bear too far forward on the shoulder (bear vitals are a bit farther back compared to a deer). The bear rolled over and ran off. There was even a nice blood trail. But I never found that bear. I looked till dark then tried some more the next day. The trail faded out and I gave up following random game trails when I realized the meat and hide would be wasted anyway. I felt terrible. Oh yes the rifle was a 375 Ruger with Nosler Partitions. So the bigger gun didn't really help. A better placed shot or a quick follow up would have solved that problem but not a bigger gun.
That is a very good example that hitting the vitals is what matters.
Yes, it sucks to lose an animal.

Thegman

WKR
Have had the exact same happen with black bears with 308 / 30-06 hitting too far forward. Blood trails quit and those bears survived the shot, your bear may have as well. I know mine survived because I ended up going up a mountain after a black bear a couple of weeks later, killed it and then realized it was the one I'd shot 2 weeks prior from the healed wound (and/or finding my previous bullet in the shoulder). Believe it or not, this has happened to me twice - I'm a slow learner. Have also shot a black bear with someone else's 30 caliber bullet in its hip. They're tough if they're not hit right, and not if they are. Obviously placement trumps caliber in these cases. Incorrect hits cause losses far more often than caliber/cartridge choice, IME.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Thegman I'd feel better if my bear had survived. But another very real possibility is that a grizzly finished it off. From a game camera I later learned a grizzly mother and cubs were about 100 yards away while I was crawling around the bushes looking for blood trails. A bit creepy.
Merry Christmas. I got myself a box of TMKs to try at some point.