.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Doesn't appear to be, but any difference in blood trail with the TSX compared to the TMK? (although a 25 yard run might be too shot to tell) I imagine the TSX is much more likely to exit. I don't know how much difference that makes with a blood trail in a 223 though.

I've never had a TMK exit a deer, however I've never had a deer get up from a TMK either.

The TSX went right through, not much of a blood trail at all, took me a minute to find the guy in this super tall grass.

As others have said in this thread some animals have more of a will to survive after being shot, this could have been just that rather than the TSX having less terminal damage.

Thegman

WKR
I've never had a TMK exit a deer, however I've never had a deer get up from a TMK either.

The TSX went right through, not much of a blood trail at all, took me a minute to find the guy in this super tall grass.

As others have said in this thread some animals have more of a will to survive after being shot, this could have been just that rather than the TSX having less terminal damage.
That mirrors my (limited) experience with the TMK as well. Just wondering if you do happen to get a "runner", if a TSX or similar bullet that likely exits leaves a much easier blood trail to follow. I don't have enough experience yet with the 223 on game to know either way.

Blood trails are so variable. Smoked a doe with my bow Wednesday. Rage trypan, cut the top of her heart off, compete pass through. Found a few drops along the way, but nothing great, and certainly nothing that made me think she had a 2+" cut completely though the vitals.

N2TRKYS

WKR
What circumstances hindered finding it?
Lack of a blood trail on her 50 yard death run. It was broadside and hit ribs only. The bullet was just under the hide on the offside. The recovered bullet weighed 27.5 grains.

I’m gonna give it another go before moving on to another bullet.

That mirrors my (limited) experience with the TMK as well. Just wondering if you do happen to get a "runner", if a TSX or similar bullet that likely exits leaves a much easier blood trail to follow. I don't have enough experience yet with the 223 on game to know either way.

Same here, really enjoying the 5.56 as a deer cartridge now however!

Thegman

WKR
Blood trails are so variable. Smoked a doe with my bow Wednesday. Rage trypan, cut the top of her heart off, compete pass through. Found a few drops along the way, but nothing great, and certainly nothing that made me think she had a 2+" cut completely though the vitals.
Good point for sure, can't count on any particular result all the time. I'm thinking more "on average", which would require a lot more experience with both types of bullets than I have. The other part of the answer though would be how much difference either makes, which I'm guessing might not be too much at all. I'm probably splitting hairs, but curious about the difference, if any, anyway.

I've had to follow two animals shot with a 55TTSX. Without my dog's help, I don't think I could have followed those two blood trails. In those (very limited) examples, the 77TMK may even have done more damage and produced a better blood trail, IDK.

I should add, as with most cases, bullet placement probably had more to do with having to follow, than the bullet itself.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
Good point for sure, can't count on any particular result all the time. I'm thinking more "on average", which would require a lot more experience with both types of bullets than I have. The other part of the answer though would be how much difference either makes, which I'm guessing might not be too much at all. I'm probably splitting hairs, but curious about the difference, if any, anyway.

I've had to follow two animals shot with a 55TTSX. Without my dog's help, I don't think I could have followed those two blood trails. In those (very limited) examples, the 77TMK may even have done more damage and produced a better blood trail, IDK.

I should add, as with most cases, bullet placement probably had more to do with having to follow, than the bullet itself.

I guarantee the tmk would do more damage than the 55 tsx.
Monos on whole are unexceptional. .224 monos the worst of the bunch.
Shot a few cow elk with the 77lrx /22 creedmoor less than 100 yards and the wounding was less than a 223/77tmk at 250/300 yards.
Generally the lrx is Barnes best unleaded offering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot a few cow elk with the 77lrx /22 creedmoor less than 100 yards and the wounding was less than a 223/77tmk at 250/300 yards.

Interesting. Did the LRX give an exit wound?

amassi

WKR
Interesting. Did the LRX give an exit wound?

2 or 3 exits out of 8-9 hits
The exits were unimpressive, maybe 1.5x caliber. Certainly not something I’d count on and those impacts were well over 3000 fps which may explain the lack of an exit (higher velocity, larger frontal area, harder to exit).

Tahr

FNG

Not sure. The 60 grn Hammer Hunters blow a good exit and mostly leave a blood trail. Certainly on average better than the 77TMK. That doesn't though make them better, just different.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Man this eA
Arkansas public land mountain buck. AAC 77gr TMK at approximately 60 yards from factory tikka lite. He ran maybe 50 yards which I partially attributed to him chasing a doe at the time.
View attachment 626785
Entry side with shoulder cut away.
View attachment 626786
Exit side. Complete pass through.
View attachment 626788
Blood trail was 18-24” wide in places starting about 15yards from where he was shot so no issues for the ‘tracking.’

I’ve used 75gr gold dot and 75gr ELDs in the past with great success as well. I’ll likely use this AAC loading if it stays availab
Man those Arkansas mountain bucks make ya work hard for em don't they?
Well done.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
Lack of a blood trail on her 50 yard death run. It was broadside and hit ribs only. The bullet was just under the hide on the offside. The recovered bullet weighed 27.5 grains.

I’m gonna give it another go before moving on to another bullet.

If I lose another deer to the 5.56 tmk I’m going to switch as well. For people hunting in thick wooded areas like me a lack of blood trail can be a lost deer easily. I’ll go back to my 7 mag to be honest with a 162 Eldm. I like bang flops.

atmat

WKR
If I lose another deer to the 5.56 tmk I’m going to switch as well. For people hunting in thick wooded areas like me a lack of blood trail can be a lost deer easily. I’ll go back to my 7 mag to be honest with a 162 Eldm. I like bang flops.

Do you get pass-through with the ELD-M? I don’t (albeit smaller caliber).

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR

Unless something bizarre happens ie bullet failing to perform as designed in its impact velocity performance window (which is possible with any bullet) you hit an animal in the chest with a 77TMK it’s dead.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
Unless something bizarre happens ie bullet failing to perform as designed in its impact velocity performance window (which is possible with any bullet) you hit an animal in the chest with a 77TMK it’s dead.

I agree sir. But out of my 5 kills so far the shortest blood trail was 30 yards and the other 4 were well over 70-80 yards. One ran 120 or so. In thick woods a 70-80 yard track is near impossible without blood. You can walk right past a deer and not see it in a thicket.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I agree sir. But out of my 5 kills so far the shortest blood trail was 30 yards and the other 4 were well over 70-80 yards. One ran 120 or so. In thick woods a 70-80 yard track is near impossible without blood. You can walk right past a deer and not see it in a thicket.

Why don’t you put it through the shoulder and spine?