.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Tahr

FNG
Sorry - I know it's totally buried in here but I'll bump with relevant discussion.

I'm going to reload for the first time, roughly following Forms painless method. 77gr TMKs with varget in once fired Hornady brass. BR2 primers. Tikka T3X compact with Banish 30 Gold suppressor.

Amy recommendations on starting charges for powder and seating depth?
Mag length (2.3") works just fine with the 77 TMK in a T3.

Thegman

WKR
After reading this thread, I decided the 223/77TMK might allow for an "ultralight mountain rifle" of sorts. I built a 3# 1oz (bare rifle) bolt action AR 223.

Took this ~6' boar at 350 yards. I don't normally need to shoot this far and I've only shot one black bear further than that (with a 308 Win), but that was as close as the conditions allowed. I was a little hesitant as this was literally the first shot on game I've taken with the 77 TMK...but after seeing the results in this thread, I was confident it would work as long as I could place the shot. Shot was broadside just back of the shoulder. Hit there or maybe an inch or so forward of that.

He ran about 40 yards, started to wobble and then ragdolled down the mountain about 100 yards into some willows in the pic. Death moan right after he stopped.

Worked well but the damage to the lungs was a little less than I expected after seeing the explosive pics in this thread. Impact should have been above 2000 fps. Regardless, I'd say the results on time to death on 30 some closer bears with 308/30-06 haven't been any different, other than I'd most likely have a pass through on the same shot and more blood trail (which I didn't need)...but those rifles also weigh a lot more than 3#.

Bear as found where he stopped rolling down the mountain.

Resized_20231006_180627.jpeg

Lungs
Resized_20231006_183311(1).jpeg

Resized_20231006_183305.jpeg

Top of heart

Resized_20231006_183358.jpeg

Entrance in ribs

Resized_20231006_182821.jpeg

Entance shoulder removed

Resized_20231007_134417.jpeg

Far side shoulder removed with piece of jacket

Resized_20231007_125923.jpeg

Resized_20231007_125946.jpeg

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
After reading this thread, I decided the 223/77TMK might allow for an "ultralight mountain rifle" of sorts. I built a 3# 1oz (bare rifle) bolt action AR 223.

Took this ~6' boar at 350 yards. I don't normally need to shoot this far and I've only shot one black bear further than that (with a 308 Win), but that was as close as the conditions allowed. I was a little hesitant as this was literally the first shot on game I've taken with the 77 TMK...but after seeing the results in this thread, I was confident it would work as long as I could place the shot. Shot was broadside just back of the shoulder. Hit there or maybe an inch or so forward of that.

He ran about 40 yards, started to wobble and then ragdolled down the mountain about 100 yards into some willows in the pic. Death moan right after he stopped.

Worked well but the damage to the lungs was a little less than I expected after seeing the explosive pics in this thread. Impact should have been above 2000 fps. Regardless, I'd say the results on time to death on 30 some closer bears with 308/30-06 haven't been any different, other than I'd most likely have a pass through on the same shot and more blood trail (which I didn't need)...but those rifles also weigh a lot more than 3#.

View attachment 611520

Lungs
View attachment 611544

View attachment 611545

Top of heart

View attachment 611549

Entrance in ribs

View attachment 611550

Entance shoulder removed

View attachment 611552

View attachment 611553

View attachment 611554
Can you create a thread on that feather lite AR build. I would not want it buried in this thread as that is too awesome.

Thegman

WKR
I can start a thread on these ultralight rifles (I've built several in several different chamberings) with a lot more detail if there's interest. I've been hunting with this basic setup for over a year now and really like it so far. Taken black bear, deer, moose and grizzly with them (those others were with a 300 HAM'R). They're so light I've literally had to double check that I didn't forget the rifle when it's slung on my shoulder with a daypack on. (Don't want to derail the 77 TMK thread with any of that though)

But the basics on this one, the "Red Ryder" (feels like a BB gun and weighs about 12 oz more than a Red Ryder BB gun).

Faxon pencil contour 16" 223 Wylde barrel
TN Arms Carbon 15 lower
Solo 300 Upper
A2 stock tube with a Farrow Tech butt attachement (Smoke Composites stock would be almost as light but 4x the cost)
NFA polymer LPK
Houge 15° grip
As pictured, a cut down NFA aluminum handguard I experimented with. No gas tube so didn't need the top section and wanted to test the idea. These rifles really jut need the lower part of a handguard to shoot off of. Actually weighs about 3#3oz with this handguard, but a couple ounces less with a 10.5" Jag Composites ultralight handguard. They're 2.5x the cost though.
Aluminum gas block, reversed to plug the gas port.

ThatDUDE

WKR
I can start a thread on these ultralight rifles (I've built several in several different chamberings) with a lot more detail if there's interest. I've been hunting with this basic setup for over a year now and really like it so far. Taken black bear, deer, moose and grizzly with them (those others were with a 300 HAM'R). They're so light I've literally had to double check that I didn't forget the rifle when it's slung on my shoulder with a daypack on. (Don't want to derail the 77 TMK thread with any of that though)
I would be interested in a separate thread about these builds you have done.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR

View attachment 611520

Lungs
View attachment 611544

View attachment 611545

Top of heart

View attachment 611549

Entrance in ribs

View attachment 611550

Entance shoulder removed

View attachment 611552

View attachment 611553

View attachment 611554
Appreciate your contribution to the thread and congratulations on the bear!

xsn10s

WKR
I shot a spike buck last evening with my Tikka Varmint .223. 75 gr ELDM at 2915 MV. 475 yard bang flop. Hit a little high, double lung, took out the spine, bullet exited, he dropped like a sack of potatoes. I’ll post damage pics later.
Surprised by the lack of bloodshot but I didn’t hit either shoulder.

P
What powder were you using in this load? TIA

gman82001

WKR
Benchmark

Tried Varget, as my brother’s Tikka Varmint shoots lights out with it but couldn’t match his precision or velocity. Then worked up to a lesson in what not to do with TAC.

Happy with Benchmark.

Curios the lesson with tac? I have and use a bunch but haven’t used it for precision stuff quite yet

P

Curious the lesson with tac? I have and use a bunch but haven’t used it for precision stuff quite yet

xsn10s

WKR
Benchmark

Tried Varget, as my brother’s Tikka Varmint shoots lights out with it but couldn’t match his precision or velocity. Then worked up to a lesson in what not to do with TAC.

Happy with Benchmark.

P
I have some Benchmark on hand for 53 gr vmax. I'll save some for the 73gr ELDM through my AR. I have 75gr ELDM in case I get a bolt or decide to modify my AR to run them. I used TAC but had pressure spikes when temps got above 90 degrees.

I only check this one every few weeks so apologies in advance for a very late response.

RE: head shots @Marbles

I grew up in a multi generational butcher shop. We did it all with a .22. Animals were in a chute and shot frontal in the thick part of the skull. Tens of thousands I’ve probably watched drop instantly. Pigs, sheep, goats, cows, horses, whatever. Occasionally if it was an excessively large bull or bison we would get out the .22 mag to do the job and the results were the same.

By the time I hit high school, we started to shoot bison in the field and then loaded with tractor to bring into shop. We would drive up to them about 15-25 yards and rest on pickup window to shoot them frontal in the skull. We did that job with a 223. I’ve probably shot a couple dozen that way and they all dropped instantly. No idea what bullets, probably whatever was in stock and cheapest that day at the local small town hardware store.

Boltgun

FNG
Question for you guys using the 77tmk. Has anyone used them on prairie dogs? Reason i ask is i reload using the 75 amax/ elds. And they work great on prairie at distance and up close.

Going out next year with a couple buddies that don't reload and looking for a factory option for the heavy 223. Only thing I'm finding is hornady ammo with the73 eld. And federal with the 77tmk.

I would rather try the federal because it will likely be more consistent than the hornady ammo. But I'm worried that it won't expand fast enough on prairie dogs and they'll have alot of ricochets.

I saw unknown munitions makes 223 with the 75 eld but their outta stock at the moment.

If anyone knows of another factory ammo let me know please. Thanks for the help.
I shot some in SD last week from a 14.5”. It was very effective, although not quite as Tarantino-esque as some of the lighter polymer tipped varmint ammo.