.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Welcome to the forum.

Recommend you spend some time and read this thread in its entirety. It’ll offer some insight. There are many, many other informative threads across the various pages with lots of first hand objective insight as to what works and why.

Indeed there is a lot to learn.
Thank you for the much needed redirect. I will read the posts contained in this thread. First hand knowledge always trumps anecdotal info.

robtattoo

WKR
After digging some more I think 223 is the least caliber for big game in TN. Now although a perfect shot will kill anything no way would I hunt anything over a coyote size animal with a 223. Bigger rounds equal better velocity and higher kinetic energy on impact = more clean ethical kills without perfect shots. No way you have a better shot placement with a .223 regularly than with a larger more sufficient caliber for such large gamevas Bear and Elk etc.... but I'm an FNG so what the hell do I know 😆 🤣 😂

Actually, we can use any centerfire cartridge. No restrictions whatsoever 😉

And welcome to the forum from another TN resident!

You guys are letting two dweebs on YouTube get to you. Most YouTube gun experts are ******* idiots to begin with. I made it seconds in the video, not far beyond where goober says people are “trying” to kill these animals with a 223… they aren’t trying, it clearly works. So at that point it was obvious where the bias was going.

They’re absolutely entitled to their beliefs about minimum cartridge as is everyone else. Thinking something larger is the minimum doesn’t make them wrong, but they’re clearly not analyzing the data when there’s lots of pics of dead animals as well as pics of internal damage on the very thread they reference.

Moral of the story, don’t put too much faith in what idiots on YouTube say. They get paid to make videos talking about stuff, so it clearly worked because the thread was linked here and people are clicking it and watching it so they’re making money for your views and everyone who clicks that video is helping line their pockets.

Last edited:
After digging some more I think 223 is the least caliber for big game in TN. Now although a perfect shot will kill anything no way would I hunt anything over a coyote size animal with a 223. Bigger rounds equal better velocity and higher kinetic energy on impact = more clean ethical kills without perfect shots. No way you have a better shot placement with a .223 regularly than with a larger more sufficient caliber for such large gamevas Bear and Elk etc.... but I'm an FNG so what the hell do I know 😆 🤣 😂

First of all "bigger rounds" DO NOT = more velocity, there are plenty of big slow rounds. 45-70 is a great example. You can also have less bullet have more impact energy if it has significantly higher velocity.

Second, if you don't think you have better shot placement with a lower recoiling round then you obiously don't shoot much.

You can argue whether you believe 223 is enough to hunt big game with all day and you're not wrong for preferring something with more ass, but at least start with unflawed logic.

There's so many people who have not a clue, but they all have an opinion.

First of all "bigger rounds" DO NOT = more velocity, there are plenty of big slow rounds. 45-70 is a great example. You can also have less bullet have more impact energy if it has significantly higher velocity.

Second, if you don't think you have better shot placement with a lower recoiling round then you obiously don't shoot much.

You can argue whether you believe 223 is enough to hunt big game with all day and you're not wrong for preferring something with more ass, but at least start with unflawed logic.

There's so many people who have not a clue, but they all have an opinion.
Shoot enough to know that I'm not shooting a deer with a 223 if I don't have to. As far as my flawed logic as you put it I'm fine with admitting if I'm wrong and in this case I'm sure I am, like I have stated before still haven't read the thread all the way through. And as far as opinions they are like Assholes the world's full of them.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Shoot enough to know that I'm not shooting a deer with a 223 if I don't have to. As far as my flawed logic as you put it I'm fine with admitting if I'm wrong and in this case I'm sure I am, like I have stated before still haven't read the thread all the way through. And as far as opinions they are like Assholes the world's full of them.

This thread is popular for a reason. It isn’t based in theory or conjecture. It does expose false truisms in the gun world about caliber hunting efficacy.

I personally learned a LOT from it, and have no plans to hunt elk with a .223.

Welcome to the forum. I encourage you to read the full thread, as most of the arguments have already been hashed (and re-hashed).

Last edited:
This thread is popular for a reason. It isn’t based in theory or conjecture. It does expose false truisms in the gun world about caliber hunting efficacy.

I personally learned a LOT from it, and have no plans to hunt elk with a .223.

Welcome to the forum. I encourage you to read the full thread, as most of the arguments have already been hashed (and the-hashed).
I definitely will.

Out of everything Iv shot, if I could go back, I’d buy a few thousand 73 eldm. Assuming you’re shooting a tikka they will fit in the factory mag and factory tikka chambers seem to like them. They have a similar bc to the tmk.

Lapua is nowhere to be found right now but if you’re not going to lose your brass it’s what I prefer. Just less messing around with culling, removing primer crimps and everything else that sucks about cheap brass.

Nothing wrong with a big can.

In todays market, with a factory tikka I’d probably buy 200-400 adi 55 blitz king factory rounds off Global ordinance break in with those, and fill them up with tac tipped with a 73eldm. Primers are not crimped on the adi brass. I’ll never remove primer crimps from 223 brass again.

Being that you may shoot in the cold a lot I’d probably work up a Varget load as well. Unless Xbr every cokes back again.

^This.

I have some ADI brass from prior runs of Austrailian outback branded ADI ammo that used to be sold by global ordnance that measured more consistent weights than my lapua .223 brass and even a little more volume IIRC.

The last batch of ADI 55 SBK and 69 SMK i bought last winter seems to use a lower quality brass but that doesn't mean it's not useable. You get loaded ammo for damn near the same price as lapua component brass. My tikka doesn't like that last lot of 69 SMK but does ok with the 55 SBK.

It seems to like the 73 ELD factory ammo best of the factory options i've tried. Hard to spend time at the load bench when you can get factory 223 so cheap.

RiffRaff

FNG
My fellow Tennessean- look about 10 pages back and I have my first post on this forum with three East TN mountain whitetail killed in a very similar manner with a 223/5.56. Pics and finger measurements of wound channels and all. I’m just one of many who’ve posted write ups here. Will be posting more come Nov

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
Now that I have a few boxes of the 77 TMKs stocked up I need to find a rifle to shoot them out of, since my .223 has a slow twist.

I would like to put together a 22 Creed sometime in the future so I’m thinking about picking up a 1:8 .22-250 and shooting it for a while before either rechambering or rebarreling it. I would probably cut the barrel on the .22-250 down to 16.5 or 18 inches.

What would I be able to expect for speeds with the 77 TMK out of that short barrel .22-250? Any issues that I’m not thinking of with that setup?

kkp005

WKR
Now that I have a few boxes of the 77 TMKs stocked up I need to find a rifle to shoot them out of, since my .223 has a slow twist.

I would like to put together a 22 Creed sometime in the future so I’m thinking about picking up a 1:8 .22-250 and shooting it for a while before either rechambering or rebarreling it. I would probably cut the barrel on the .22-250 down to 16.5 or 18 inches.

What would I be able to expect for speeds with the 77 TMK out of that short barrel .22-250? Any issues that I’m not thinking of with that setup?
I’m getting right a 3000fps with 36gr h4350 in a 18” 22-250 shooting 77gr tmk

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
Have fun with those crimped primer pockets...
Can those crimps be removed with s chamfer tool? I've heard it can be, and tried on 308 but I think that pocket might be too large, maybe it will work on .223?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Can those crimps be removed with s chamfer tool? I've heard it can be, and tried on 308 but I think that pocket might be too large, maybe it will work on .223?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Yes they can but be warned, it is not fun.

I bought the tool linked below and did about 100 cases by hand, which was enough for me to say never again, especially when I realized about 20% of them were still too tight to take a primer correctly.

After that, I went to Ace Hardware, found a few nuts with with same thread pitch as the primer pocket reamer and then used my cordless drill to do about 300 more cases. That was significantly better but still sucked to do.

Moral of the story, it can definitely be done by hand (or with a drill) but I’m not sure I’ll do it again when it’s such a minimal cost to just buy brass without primer crimps from the start…