.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Dobermann

WKR
Currently in the neighborhood of 2k rounds down the barrel of the 223 now and no more than a paper towel to wipe down the action from time to time in regards to cleaning. After watching the your groups are too small video and just various rokslide thread reading I realized I’d never shot a 10 shot group for research purposes. Finally got around to doing so last weekend and this was the result. I’ve thought about cleaning it for no real good reason but I think I’ll just keep shooting.
View attachment 496493
Be good to add that to the "Show us your Tikka ten round groups" thread for posterity: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/show-your-tikka-ten-round-groups.172391/

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Impossible 😭

On another note if you are not cleaning your barrels what do you do to stop them rusting inside

Almost everything I use is a stainless or chrome lined barrel- so nothing. Just shoot. The one or two that aren’t but that I actually use…. Still just shoot.

Another elk. This one at very low impact velocity. 1,440fps impact. 77gr TMK. First shot was through scapula, high lung, second shot back of ribs and broke the spine. Total distance traveled was 30’ish yards.

View attachment 499309

Still upsetting quite well-

View attachment 499310

Looking at that pic, it's hard to fathom that bullet holding together well enough to penetrate at twice that velocity.

Shraggs

WKR
Form,

Assuming 5000 DA ish, 20 ish degrees if after the blizzard, that’s in the 800 yard range with the Form/wkr special…

Do I have that correct or in the neighborhood?

Side question, 2 elk ago you had pic of someone’s hand and a black neoprene looking glove, curious what that is.

Lawnboi

WKR
Where’d you order that from? I was going to put together an 18” or 20”. Hoping to push those 88’s at 3k or a little better. Putting it on a tikka?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tikka prefit from PVA. I’ll be sure to post up when it arrives.

Should be a slick gun with a suppressor. I’m hoping for around 3K out of the 88s. Iv got 77tmk to use in it as well but will probably go with the more efficient bullet.

I’m hoping this will be my do it all deer gun. Those bullets are still moving at 500, and I don’t see myself ever shooting at deer size game much farther.

Should be a slick gun with a suppressor. I’m hoping for around 3K out of the 88s. Iv got 77tmk to use in it as well but will probably go with the more efficient bullet.

I’m hoping this will be my do it all deer gun. Those bullets are still moving at 500, and I don’t see myself ever shooting at deer size game much farther.

Yeah I ran some numbers on strelok and with a muzzle velocity of 3k it doesn’t break the 1700 mark until about 800 if I remember off hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR

Don't sleep on the 75 eld-m. Same wind #, flatter trajectory.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Form,

Assuming 5000 DA ish, 20 ish degrees if after the blizzard, that’s in the 800 yard range with the Form/wkr special…

Do I have that correct or in the neighborhood?

Side question, 2 elk ago you had pic of someone’s hand and a black neoprene looking glove, curious what that is.
You’re spot on. 803 yds.

Shraggs

WKR
No s**t !

Definitely interested in more detail on high lung shot trama, as I assume that pic is back near spine. Is that both bullets or one separated?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Quote it please so I can see.

No s**t !

Definitely interested in more detail on high lung shot trama, as I assume that pic is back near spine. Is that both bullets or one separated?

That is one bullet.

Chest shot, entrance.
63E508C4-FBC3-4659-B3B2-B3E8AB1749AE.jpeg

FCCB4967-5794-46A0-9EC8-9EDB8BD1D520.jpeg

Back side-
7E0255EB-D291-4AC3-9E93-27BAA664D475.jpeg

We didn’t get, or somehow lost the pictures of the lungs. It destroyed the top front 3-4” of the lungs.

Lawnboi

WKR
We'll be twins. Interested to compare our barrels performance, I got a Preferred. What profile did you go with?
I looked at preferred, but have a PVA and was happy with the work.

3b. The way PVA contours their blanks thought they estimate around .73” at 16.5”. I’m not too concerned with weight as long as it’s reasonable.

Be interesting to see how both go. I was really about to buy an action and send it out for this but decided to give a prefit a go for this barrel to see how I like the cartridge.