.223, 6mm, and 6.5 failures on big game

Two deer, both shot with a 30-06 and 180 accubonds, no blood trail trails, so failure. Both recovered.

One bear shot with 30-06 and 180 accubonds, no blood trail, but recovered.

One other bear shot with 30-06 and 180 accubonds twice, ran off to never be seen again.

One caribou shout with 308 and 180 TTSX, no blood trail, ran pretty far, recovered.

One mountain goat shot with 108 ELDM, no blood trai, recovered.

One mountain goat shot with 108 ELDM twice, traveled 10 feet on its own power, massive blood trail, required a 3rd shot as it was still sitting up 10 minutes later.

All true, all lack a few details. Conclusions, 30-06 and 180 accubonds have a 100% failure rate....
I know you are being sarcastic but did somebody claim that a lack of blood trail equated to a bullet failure?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Couldn’t someone ask you the same question? It’s a thread about bullet failures, not a debate.
And yet we are 6 pages in with zero bullet failure evidence. It’s going exactly as expected so far.

“This one time at band camp”…

And

“Why would anyone want to shoot .224 and 6mm when larger offerings exist”….

The same rhetoric on every web site and every gun show and every gun magazine. Here we go again. That echo chamber is so tiring, especially when it’s folks with zero experience in the matter.

I also had zero experience with .224 big game killing until two months ago. I’m learning for myself.

And yet we are 6 pages in with zero bullet failure evidence. It’s going exactly as expected so far.

“This one time at band camp”…

And

“Why would anyone want to shoot .224 and 6mm when larger offerings exist”….

The same rhetoric on every web site and every gun show and every gun magazine. Here we go again. That echo chamber is so tiring, especially when it’s folks with zero experience in the matter.

I also had zero experience with .224 big game killing until two months ago. I’m learning for myself.
I have never had a bullet failure, but how would somebody prove a bullet failure?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If the bullet only hit 2" muscle it would be hard to believe. OP stated it hit shoulder and appears to me, to be at an angle.
The OP in that case mentioned that his friend said the deer was perfectly broadside and there was no chance of something obstructing the bullet.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have never had a bullet failure, but how would somebody prove a bullet failure?
People who shoot and kill often, are usually skilled enough to shoot big game animals with more than one bullet. Whether or not it is “needed” is a topic for another conversation. I could walk you through the process of killing but I’d rather finish watching this movie with my wife now.

Have a great night.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Holy crap these threads are ridiculous. I cant even think of a meme to convey this S$%t.
But no you said that she said that they said that I demanded you to not shoot that because he said it doesn’t work based on my millions upon millions of bloodless white tails. 😂😂🤦🤦 I’m mad at myself for reading this thread.

The OP in that case mentioned that his friend said the deer was perfectly broadside and there was no chance of something obstructing the bullet.
Where in this thread did I give advice? I now know that since I have never shot a moose with a .223, I should no longer post in threads that mention .223. I get it, that I touched a nerve saying that imo you should not use a .223 on a moose hunt. I also stated in that same post, that it certainly will work, just not optimal in my opinion. I think you are trying to convince people to try something when they have no reason to try it. Maybe it's arrogance, maybe you truly think .223 is the optimal moose cartridge. I am not sure.

To your quote, I have no idea if it was obstructed. If the OP says 0 chance, I have to believe him. I will say in my experience, sometimes "perfectly broadside" can be proven wrong. I just had it happen on my bull hunt a few weeks ago. I would have swore at 40 yards, he was broadside. Turns out, he was slightly quartering to. When I recovered the bull, the lack of a pass thru was quickly understandable.

People who shoot and kill often, are usually skilled enough to shoot big game animals with more than one bullet. Whether or not it is “needed” is a topic for another conversation. I could walk you through the process of killing but I’d rather finish watching this movie with my wife now.

Have a great night.
So you are saying if you shoot the animal twice the first bullet failed. That does not seem to fit with what you and others have been saying.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
If the bullet only hit 2" muscle it would be hard to believe. OP stated it hit shoulder and appears to me, to be at an angle.

It didn’t hit the scapula (ignoring how laughably thin a scapula is)-

IMG_2618.png

And beyond that, look at the picture a bit closer and note the rib cage and the depth that you can see into the wound.

No sir. You are misunderstanding or I am terrible at explaining things on my phone on the internet. Probably a bit of both.
I may be misunderstanding but am legitimately wanting to know how that could be proven. If there is a dead animal it would be hard to say the bullet failed if there is no dead animal it could have been a bad shot. I really dont know how someone could prove a bullet failure.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have pictures and I don’t have a beef in general with 22/243/6.5 but I will play. I had a 140 berger in 6.5 cm only damage near side lung on a broadside mule deer shot at 250 yards. Required finisher. Got the buck so no problem but made me leary of lighter Bergers/soft bullets on game bigger than average whitetails. The bullet did what it was supposed to I guess, but once a bullet fragments there is no guarantees on penetration. In general, No qualms with 24 cal on deer but in my experience they are definitely not as effective as something like a 270 or 280 or larger on good sized pigs. The pigs die but they have gone a lot further on average and tougher to find. Have not used 24 cal “match” bullets but family has used ssts, btips, sierra, nosler. This is with shoulder/lung shots which is what we generally take vs head shots where anything works.

Lou

Ucsdryder

WKR
Well, to be fair, we are 6 pages in of people saying bullet failures don't happen. If the only posts were actual bullet failures we would be on page 1.
Yep. The same people come on every thread and defend their little bullets like they’re defending their children. It’s strange. I’m going to build a 25prc to shoot the new a tips, should be a sweet back country setup for my daughter, but I don’t for a second believe it’ll kill like my 300nmi shooting 245 bergers.

6 pages in less than 12 hours. This must be a touchy subject. Why are people bothered by opening a thread to hear about failures, when there's already the giant threads about success. Let failure reports come. If they don't, this thread can die.

C'mon guys, it's still hunting season. It's too early for the threads purely for entertainment to start.

I have 2 failures.

30-06 180 speer hot cor. Impact about 2700 quartering away slightly. No blood trail. No exit. Bull Died 40 yards away.

243 108 eldm . Impact about 2450. No blood. No exit. Hard time finding bullet entry. Bull died in 40 yards.