22 Creedmoor for Scimitar Oryx?

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
My ram looked like Mike Tyson. That sheep looks more like a deer.

I have other people say the same thing, I had never seen on in the salt from the hill country before.

not knocking the ram, I'd crawl through hell for a ram that nice.
i’m in west texas. And fortunately, I didn’t have to crawl through hell. Pretty easy when they’re sitting at a feeder. Our ram population was just getting too high and they were taking over the protein feeders.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
With regards to Africa, which you responded to, you have no idea what you're talking about, and that's not trolling, that's fact. Ignorant people think they know everything.

Interesting. What exactly- please be specific, am I ignorant about Africa and killing animals with 88gr ELD-M’s?

JGRaider

WKR
i’m in west texas. And fortunately, I didn’t have to crawl through hell. Pretty easy when they’re sitting at a feeder. Our ram population was just getting too high and they were taking over the protein feeders.
Great stuff sturner88. I say kill a whole bunch of the vermin! Congrats! Whereabouts are you? I hunted them around Sanderson, Marathon, SW of Ft Stockton, and Valentine over the course of 30 years or so.

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
Great stuff sturner88. I say kill a whole bunch of the vermin! Congrats! Whereabouts are you? I hunted them around Sanderson, Marathon, SW of Ft Stockton, and Valentine over the course of 30 years or so.
east of lubbock

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
How many animals have you killed over there with that specific bullet? Not your friends, someone you talked to....you, specifically?

That’s what I was ignorant on? Again- are you just here to post BS?

This thread, and my responses are about heavy for caliber fragmenting bullets- specifically the .224 ELD-M’s and Oryx. There is nothing I have written in this thread that isn’t factual.

JGRaider

WKR
That’s what I was ignorant on? Again- are you just here to post BS?

This thread, and my responses are about heavy for caliber fragmenting bullets- specifically the .224 ELD-M’s and Oryx. There is nothing I have written in this thread that isn’t factual.
Me either...........You quoted me and commented specifically to my Africa post. If you'd read before you started posting non related nonsense you would see that instantly. So the answer to my question I asked you is "zero, none, nada". I already knew that.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Me either...........You quoted me and commented specifically to my Africa post. If you'd read before you started posting non related nonsense you would see that instantly. So the answer to my question I asked you is "zero, none, nada". I already knew that.

Are you intoxicated?

You quoted me first and since then I have been trying to decipher your generally incoherent and inconsistent posts.

IMG_0754.png

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
Gotcha. Do you guys ever offer scimitar hunts? Maybe some meat hunts? We killed lots of aoudad around Fluvanna as well several years ago.
honestly, we use the “meat hunts” to fill our personal freezers. The trophy class are typically offered to clients of the ranch owner.

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
@Mojave @JGRaider Do Gemsbok have significantly thicker hide/muscle/bones than an Aoudad?

Even though our Gemsbok are much larger than the other oryx species, from what i’ve seen this weekend, the internal trauma at my stated distances and velocities would lead me to believe an 80gr eldx provides significant penetration and disruption to kill efficiently.

That being said, the aoudad didn’t not cause as much internal trauma. (i’m assuming tougher hide etc.

gotta be a balance point somewhere.

Last edited:
Bow hunting wasn't legal in most African countries until the mid to late 80's.

Just because something isn't legal somewhere doesn't mean that it doesn't work, or shouldn't be done. It just means that the people who make the laws are confident in their ignorance.

A lot of states didn't allow the use of .22 caliber bullets for big game hunting either. Most of them have come around based on objective evidence, but there are still some holdouts that would rather cling to their ignorance, or cave to the ignorance of their hunters.

atmat

WKR
Since PH's see several hundred animals killed every year, and literally a few thousand animals killed through the years, they've likely got a much better idea of which bullets work and which do not than any and everyone else.

I knew there was some minimum by law.

Honest question: how would PH’s know “which bullets do and do not work” if they have a “minimum by law” they have to use, thus disabling them from getting experience with other bullets?

Mojave

WKR
@Mojave @JGRaider Do Gemsbok have significantly thicker hide/muscle/bones than an Aoudad?

Even though our Gemsbok are much larger than the arabians and scimitars, from what i’ve seen this weekend, the internal trauma at my stated distances and velocities would lead me to believe an 80gr eldx provides significant penetration and disruption to kill efficiently.

That being said, the aoudad didn’t not cause as much internal trauma. (i’m assuming tougher hide etc.

gotta be a balance point somewhere. Also, here’s the first oryx
In my experience yes. Good shooting is really all that matters. As you have proven.

JGRaider

WKR
Honest question: how would PH’s know “which bullets do and do not work” if they have a “minimum by law” they have to use, thus disabling them from getting experience with other bullets?
Send a series of emails to various veteran African operators and ask them. I'm sure they'd love to argue with a guy who has zero experience over there.

JGRaider

WKR

Even though our Gemsbok are much larger than the arabians and scimitars, from what i’ve seen this weekend, the internal trauma at my stated distances and velocities would lead me to believe an 80gr eldx provides significant penetration and disruption to kill efficiently.

gotta be a balance point somewhere. Also, here’s the first oryx
As long as you stay off of bone you're probably ok. Through shoulders, not too sure about that. I've posted bullet weight retention photos from a few of my 160 AB's previously of recovered bullets that were shot through shoulder/heart shots.

Bugger

FNG
As long as you stay off of bone you're probably ok. Through shoulders, not too sure about that. I've posted bullet weight retention photos from a few of my 160 AB's previously of recovered bullets that were shot through shoulder/heart shots.
Are African bones tougher than the same size North American bones?