22 Creedmoor for Scimitar Oryx?

sturner88

FNG
Just got a Horizon Vandal in 22cm. I need to cull a couple of our Scimitar-Horned Oryx next weekend and have a 6.5prc that shoots the ELDM well but thought it might be a good chance to see how the 22cm does against African PG.

Any reason to NOT shoot the 22cm (80gr eldm MV-3100fps) other than being able to shoot the 6.5prc equally well at the distance the animals will be killed? (~200 yards)

DosAmigos

FNG
Have killed them with a 22 creed running Copper Creek 77 OTM Tactical and with a 6 Creed Unknown Muntions Berger 105 Hybrid. You will be fine

khuber84

WKR
In for results! 75s have been great for me on a handful of deer sized game. Testing 80s this year. A friend who manufactures a lot of 223 ammo told me the 80 and 75 jacket are both the same, and one just squeezed a bit longer and filled with more lead. Perhaps the 75gr would be of lil stouter construction, idk.

Oryx is supposedly great eats. Wish I had some to cull! Best of luck!

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Just got a Horizon Vandal in 22cm. I need to cull a couple of our Scimitar-Horned Oryx next weekend and have a 6.5prc that shoots the ELDM well but thought it might be a good chance to see how the 22cm does against African PG.

Any reason to NOT shoot the 22cm (80gr eldm MV-3100fps) other than being able to shoot the 6.5prc equally well at the distance the animals will be killed? (~200 yards)
I’m sure it will kill it deader than shit. I wouldn’t think twice.

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
managed to snag a box of factory eldx in a pinch. Will prob move the oryx shooting to the eldx ammo as I’ll be aiming lower shoulder and be at a shorter range (looking for a bit more penetration) but may try to shoot some other tough critters to gain a bit more personal intel on terminal performance with the m’s

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
First animal down. Oryx were being stubborn, got on some Aoudad. Quartering to, went through both lungs, did not get an exit. Have not caped but wanted to show some lung damage. Animal stayed on his feet for around 15 seconds but due to the nature of our land, follow-up shots are extremely difficult.

DosAmigos

FNG
First animal down. Oryx were being stubborn, got on some Aoudad. Quartering to, went through both lungs, did not get an exit. Have not caped but wanted to show some lung damage. Animal stayed on his feet for around 15 seconds but due to the nature of our land, follow-up shots are extremely difficult.
At what distance was the shot taken? Nice aoudad. We had similar results with the 22 Creed shooting the Copper Creek Berger 77 OTM Tactical. I never did get pass throughs on Oryx but got pass throughs on whitetail and hogs on shoulder shots out to 200 yards. No complaints on my horizon vandal carbon. Good luck on your oryx hunt.

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
At what distance was the shot taken? Nice aoudad. We had similar results with the 22 Creed shooting the Copper Creek Berger 77 OTM Tactical. I never did get pass throughs on Oryx but got pass throughs on whitetail and hogs on shoulder shots out to 200 yards. No complaints on my horizon vandal carbon. Good luck on your oryx hunt.
125 yards. Impact velocity 2875fps. 80gr eldx. It was a little steeper quartering shot than I preferred but did manage to put what is known to be a very tough animal down in relatively short order. Around 100 yards in 15 seconds traveled. Thick part of texas so follow-up shots are very difficult. Regardless, I want to get some first-person data on vital shots as oppposed to CNS shots.

Impact location is as shown in the pic. Don’t have a youtube channel to show the shots and I can’t get Rokslide to show videos IMG_2471.jpeg

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
First Oryx down. 185 yards—Impact velocity 2765fps

Shot 1—quartering to, broke the shoulder destroyed the heart, did not exit. Took 3 steps and turned 180. Second shot took out both lungs and did not exit.

Did not take pictures of the vitals as the heart and lung were turned to jello.

Couple of observations, The lack of recoil made it NOTICEABLY easier to stay in the scope and get a follow up shot.

The aoudad seems to be a bit tougher as the oryx had significant more trauma

At this point, i’m convinced that at moderate ranges with good shot placement, I need nothing more than a fast, heavy 22 cal. projectile.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
At this point, i’m convinced that at moderate ranges with good shot placement, I need nothing more than a fast, heavy 22 cal. projectile.

It isn’t just “moderate” ranges. The heavy, fragmenting match bullets get comparatively better than conventional bullets from much larger calibers, as impact velocity goes down.