2024 Toyota Tacoma......finally someone is taking note

Rob5589

WKR
Even more interesting to me is the offroad models have an electric sway bar disconnect.
Jeep has been doing that for some years now. Nice to see manufacturer's getting on board with making vehicles more off road worthy. Probably hurt the aftermarket some in the process.

GotDraw?

WKR
@GotDraw?
Could you send the list to me, too?
@Colterw

Here are two lists that might help.

Longer list was a master list gleaned from many posts on this subject. Shorter list is the parts I actually used.

You will need: dust shields, rotors, calipers, pads and maybe hoses.

All of your braking gain comes from larger rotors=more swept area + more/bigger caliper pistons = more pressure on larger pads over larger swept area.

Larger/thicker rotors can also absorb more braking heat w/o warping. Must have 17" or larger wheels to clear the taller calipers.

Highly suggest a TEST FIT. Remove old caliper and backing plate. Mount new caliper snug but not tight, DO NOT connect hose, or install pads in case you want to return them. Mount your wheel and snug it up. Spin wheel by hand while truck is jacked up to be certain wheel will spin properly w/o spokes or wheel center hitting/grinding on the outside of the caliper. If so, you may need spacers or maybe you decide not to pursue. If you need spacers, get BORA bolt-on spacers if you do, they're the best. Follow installation instructions exactly and use a torque wrench on the BORAs.

Good luck!

JL

Attachments

• OVERALL BIG BRAKE PARTS-IDEAS LIST_14WA Rotor & Caliper- Parts list.pdf
    180.5 KB · Views: 2
  • BIG Brake Upgrade- Short List of Parts Used.pdf
    98.4 KB · Views: 3

MattB

WKR
Jeep has been doing that for some years now. Nice to see manufacturer's getting on board with making vehicles more off road worthy. Probably hurt the aftermarket some in the process.
So has Toyota, 4Runners have had the KDSS option since 2010 or thereabouts. It is a nice option, good road handling by limiting body roll, but a little bit better articulation off-road.

Last edited:

Yarak

WKR
I read abut these yesterday and what I gathered was the only engine offered is a turbo charged 4 cylinder ??
Im pretty sure I read that correctly...maybe not
If that is correct then count me out
Ive been a Taco owner for many years and just sold my 05' and have been considering another newer Taco but it wont be a turbo charged 4 cylinder

I read abut these yesterday and what I gathered was the only engine offered is a turbo charged 4 cylinder ??
Im pretty sure I read that correctly...maybe not
If that is correct then count me out
Ive been a Taco owner for many years and just sold my 05' and have been considering another newer Taco but it wont be a turbo charged 4 cylinder
You are incorrect, but, there is still not a motor for you. They also have a turbo 4cylinder with a hybrid electric motor.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
They do make a ram mirror conversion for tacos.

Unfortunately not for first gen tundra.
They nearly bolt up directly to best gen tundras. They just require one hole to be drilled. A handful of guys running dodge tow mirrors on first gens.

They nearly bolt up directly to best gen tundras. They just require one hole to be drilled. A handful of guys running dodge tow mirrors on first gens.
Really I couldn't find much of any info on it a couple years ago.
Are they using Ram mirrors.
Or the ones with the Tacoma stud pattern?

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Really I couldn't find much of any info on it a couple years ago.
Are they using Ram mirrors.
Or the ones with the Tacoma stud pattern?
Junkyard take off mirrors from a Dodge with moose mirrors. I haven't looked into it too far just seen a lot of them in the first gen forums and in the first gen facebook group.

Tried searching a year or so ago and saw some guys made the Tacoma ones work too. But it seems the older posts are gone so it's getting harder to find. Can't find the original where the guy showed what hole needed drilled.

🤔 uh, yea………… how you can draw a comparison between Eddie Bauer‘s green/tan interior aesthetics to an actual after market mod that provides performance enhancement/improvements is beyond me. I guess maybe they make your backside more comfortable. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Simply stating that the amount of ARB accessories that Toyota has integrated into their “from factory” builds in addition to now even a second reputable suspension offering in OME (in addition to FOX) is pleasant to see. It’s not for everyone but the integration and offerings are welcomed in my opinion. Toyota knows they have a huge market in the off-roading/overlanding community with this vehicle and they are making it even more appealing to them by tailoring certain vehicle trims to them. To me it says they are at least taking notice of what their customers want and/or use.

I doubt anyone ever said….“man, I wish i had an Eddie Bauer interior”😜
Ford didn't NEED suspension upgrades from aftermarket suppliers.
They had inhouse engineers capable of turning out a decent product.
Even my buddies' twin I-beam Bronco has twin front shocks and rear factory bags.
drives great.

Toyota doesn't want to sell a stripped-down model for 30k. It doesn't make sense for them. They might have to sell twice as many of those to make the same money they make selling the ones they are making now, and they are having no problem selling the ones they make now.

It wouldn't make sense for them in times of normal parts availability. It really doesn't make sense now with supply chain issues being what they are. That said, I do think Toyota probably has fewer supply chain issues than the big 3 because I think Toyota keeps more of their supply chain under their own roof.

I don't think manufacturers ask themselves what people want. They ask themselves what people will buy. They aren't always the same thing. If there isn't a base model on the lot, how many people are walking away? How many people would it take walking away to make it matter?
Toyota sells one-sixth of what the real truck-makers sell.
There isn't enough demand to stress their supply chain and what parts they have used (looking at you, Dana) have been very low-spec.
They have wisely outsourced suspension on the Tacoma to avoid more embarrassment.

While yes this is true if you Google it.
But in actual application they will deny you and tell you to lawyer up.

Are you gonna spend 10k on a lawyer or just go ahead and pay for the repair.

My brother lost a 5.7 hemi motor.

They told him since the dealer didn't change the oil it was on him.
A hand written log, and receipts for oil filters etc wasn't sufficient proof. And this was on an oem stock Ram pick up.

He asked about why it was denied. And the service manager told him it was because he can and that his options we to sue the dealership.

Pay for the work that had been done so far and tow the truck away, or pay to have the repair done.

When asked about calling corporate he said go ahead I don't care, the market is good and for every customer he looses he gains 2, they have a wait list of work and he just doesn't care at all.

They can deny you all they want and make you fight it. I've seen it lots of times. The burden is on you if they want it to be.
This is pretty much what Toyota told me on the leaf spring recall debacle.
They said fanbois will buy regardless of whether they stand behind their defective design.
Corporate arrogance at it's best.

tr3

FNG
You are correct you won't see a new truck like that on the lot again.

You will never see a car manufacturer build a vehicle with the technology from 44 years ago, and then sell it for the price they did 44 years ago.

Look at Toyota bringing back the 70 series Landcruiser in the Australian market