2024 OFFICIAL Mule deer meat pole thread

Oregon 2024.

Shoutout to @robby denning and @Travis Hobbs for hammering home the idea of getting to your glassing knob well before shooting light on the Rokcast. "Sunrise isn't early, it's late" I believe is a quote.

Spotted this buck still bedded 20 minutes before shooting light. Second best buck I've seen in the unit in 8 days of glassing, and the other was on private. Watched him feed around the ridge, snuck down and was able to get a shot before the sun crested the ridgeline. Bang flop, but he rolled 400' vert down the ridge. Very thankful he didn't break anything off.

IMG_0515.JPG

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Oregon 2024.

Shoutout to @robby denning and @Travis Hobbs for hammering home the idea of getting to your glassing knob well before shooting light on the Rokcast. "Sunrise isn't early, it's late" I believe is a quote.

Spotted this buck still bedded 20 minutes before shooting light. Second best buck I've seen in the unit in 8 days of glassing, and the other was on private. Watched him feed around the ridge, snuck down and was able to get a shot before the sun crested the ridgeline. Bang flop, but he rolled 400' vert down the ridge. Very thankful he didn't break anything off.

View attachment 774380
yaaaa man!!! way to make it happen! Thanks for the mention

Oregon 2024.

View attachment 774380
😎😎😎😎😎

nobody

WKR
2024 Utah General Season Muzzleloader deer. Buck was taken at 4:30 PM on Thursday, September 26th 2024.

Glassed the buck up from the top of a cliff at about 250 yards. Wind was coming from north to south, and I glassed him up from above him to the south. Made note of where he was bedded using a downed log as a point of reference, and backed away from the cliff. Worked my way down above him, and ditched my pack at the top of the cliff. I then worked my way down the cliff face with just my binos and my muzzleloader, and he stood up and started feeding. Got to a good sitting place and waited about 5 minutes for him to feed to where I could get a good shot on him. He stepped out, and I leveled off on his bread basket and let one fly. He took about 5 steps, laid down, and passed within about 15 seconds. I had to scale back up the cliff, walk the edge to the opposite end, and drop off the other side of the ridge to get down to the bench where he was.

When I got to him, he was covered completely in mange to the point his skin was crumbling away, had an open broad head wound in his gut (that was spilling stomach contents out of it), and was nothing but skin and bones. There’s no way he would’ve made it through the winter, likely not through the next month even. He was a good one to take off the landscape to free up the feed for other deer.

He’s not a giant, but he’s a cool funky deer. He’s a 7 on the right and a 4 on the left with eyeguards on both sides. His meat is currently being processed and he made a gnarly euro mount!

Attachments

• IMG_2143.jpeg
    IMG_2143.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4924.jpeg
    IMG_4924.jpeg
    764.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2838.jpeg
    IMG_2838.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 19