2024 NRL Hunter schedule

philcox

WKR
Yes. Will allow for that. Also they will give you more time if you ask. Intent isn’t for you to not shoot. They will also point the targets out. Typically they will ask you what help you want before the stage.
That’s great to know!

Jimbee

WKR
Depends on how hard the targets are to find.
The matches I shot weren't "blind". Errybody found and identified the targets as a group. You would then range and shoot on the clock. This was probably necessary bc there are lots of targets down range that weren't being shot at.

Lawnboi

WKR
The matches I shot weren't "blind". Errybody found and identified the targets as a group. You would then range and shoot on the clock. This was probably necessary bc there are lots of targets down range that weren't being shot at.
That may be location dependent.

The first blind stage I shot in Iowa I was kind of taken back by the number of targets in such a small area .

parshal

WKR

That must have been a Hunter One match. In a 2-day Hunter match everything is blind. I must have missed the fact that we were discussing Hunter One.

Last weekend's match in Florence, CO, was the most difficult Hunter match I've ever shot. Took a while to find all the targets (still didn't find some) and mostly had to shoot in less than 90 seconds because of that. Add the 18" of snow and every color across the canyon was white, green and brown. The white placards were sometimes more difficult to find that the targets themselves.

OP
kharb22

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
@kharb22 Did you shoot this match? If so, any feedback?
I did shoot this match. 2nd year I've shot it. This year, it was all on 1 farm as opposed to 2 last year. Overall, it was a great match. It had a really nice mix between difficulty and shoot ability. I think a lot of the shooters had fun and were able to at least engage a lot of the targets. My only complaint is minimal, and that is, I wish they had a few more stages. Last year was 16-18 I think, and this year was 14.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

SouthPaw

WKR
The Arbuckle match will have some targets that are difficult to find, but will be a great course. My good buddy is the MD. I'll be there to shoot it and RO.

codym

WKR
That must have been a Hunter One match. In a 2-day Hunter match everything is blind. I must have missed the fact that we were discussing Hunter One.

Last weekend's match in Florence, CO, was the most difficult Hunter match I've ever shot. Took a while to find all the targets (still didn't find some) and mostly had to shoot in less than 90 seconds because of that. Add the 18" of snow and every color across the canyon was white, green and brown. The white placards were sometimes more difficult to find that the targets themselves.
I agree. Was my first nrl match and not having a strategy to take points instead of continuing to look for all the targets only to time out. Also some stages the limits weren’t clearly defined so spent way to much time looking in an area that didn’t contain the targets. It was fun and learned a lot. Plan on shooting a few more this year

parshal

WKR
Also some stages the limits weren’t clearly defined so spent way to much time looking in an area that didn’t contain the targets.
This happens often when clearly defined. If you're not finding targets right away always re-verify where the limits are and, more importantly, where you are in relation to the rear pin. If all looks correct then stand and glass.

codym

WKR
That’s good advice. It’s easy to get that fog of war and just start “looking harder” there was one stage where the target could not be seen from kneeling, had to glass from a standing position to find it. One of those kinda got to experience screwing it up to learn from it.

dster3

FNG
The Arbuckle match will have some targets that are difficult to find, but will be a great course. My good buddy is the MD. I'll be there to shoot it and RO.

I'll be an RO as well. Looking forward to better weather this year. Last year, I must have had an extra 10 lbs of mud on my boots alone

OP
kharb22

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
This happens often when clearly defined. If you're not finding targets right away always re-verify where the limits are and, more importantly, where you are in relation to the rear pin. If all looks correct then stand and glass.
Also, pay attention to the order of shooting, be it left tot right or near to far. Using L to R as an example. Once you find the left target and placard, that is now your left limit stick. Generally this will cut off some of the area and start to narrow down your field to search.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

RO'ed the NRL Hunter match at Steel City precision. Excellent COF put on by John and Scott. Really incredible facility.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Never been at one of these before. A buddy and I signed up for Skills at the Arbuckle CA one. Hoping we can get on the same group of folks. I have a new 7PRC gonna see how it performs. Then I’ll likely drop to my 6.5 as I think shooting the whole thing with the 7 will wear me out.

Goals are to
1. Get experience shooting
2. Verify what I can do with the setup and load

I am also realistically expecting to get only 1-2 shots (maybe 0) on some stages because I can’t find/range/setup in the max time

From what I understand, the Skills division should allow that?
As a heads up, if you're intending to use the 7PRC then switch out to 6.5, you'll be hoofing both rifles around to all the stages. Depending on what stage you start at, it may be a long walk back to the car to switch them out.

parshal

WKR
As a heads up, if you're intending to use the 7PRC then switch out to 6.5, you'll be hoofing both rifles around to all the stages. Depending on what stage you start at, it may be a long walk back to the car to switch them out.
Definitely true. Plus, you'll have a different gun number and will need to adjust your wind calls accordingly. Best to pick one and use it the entire match.

philcox

WKR
I was not clear. I am only carrying one at a time. If I want to swap, I will do it on the 2nd day. Unless the 7 kicks my butt too bad. Then I'll just miss a stage and go get the woosie gun :)

philcox

WKR
Definitely true. Plus, you'll have a different gun number and will need to adjust your wind calls accordingly. Best to pick one and use it the entire match.
I am doing Skills. I am not interested in any scoring. Just actual shooting. I am a PURE newbie at this one.

parshal

WKR
I am doing Skills. I am not interested in any scoring. Just actual shooting. I am a PURE newbie at this one.
It has nothing to do with scoring.

What I was saying is that you'd have different wind calls for each gun in the same conditions. It would be very frustrating to miss because you confused the wind calls under the stress of time. Pick one and run it the entire weekend.

CCooper

WKR
For all the experienced guys-

I want to jump-in on my first NRL Hunter match this year. Closest to me is going to be Madras, OR and it looks to still be open for enrollment. Would my gear be enough to be dangerous, or do I need additional items for the skills division:

7 PRC suppressed in a XLR 4.0 shooting 180's, good bipod and scope.
edit to add- I have a 6 creed in a XLR as well (looks like no power factor for skills division)
RRS 34L
Revic BLR10B binos
Various rear bags
Kestrel

I will start nerding out on Youtube videos but want to get signed up soon.

I fully expect it to be a humbling experience.

Last edited: