2024 Montana Recap

bloatmar

FNG
Kinda long story. My hunting partner and I went back to a unit we hunted two years ago and encountered a lot of bulls. This year we went a week earlier and it made a big difference. Much quieter this time around we chased a few morning bugles but they shut up quickly and made it hard on us. Wednesday night a cold front blew through and we expected things to pick up Thursday. However Wednesday morning we found a travel corridor between two drainages the elk were traveling to their mid day beds. We set up on top not expecting much and began to eat breakfast and comb over a hillside with the glass. Shortly after I hear footsteps and look behind us and not but 14 yards away a 4x5 bull is walking up to say hello to us. All hell breaks loose when he realized we were there and unfortunately we didn’t get an arrow in him. Now this next part is hard to believe. Our other hunting partner didn’t make it for that encounter so we decided to hunt it Thursday but rain kept us down all morning. We headed out to ambush ridge we named it to hunt it that evening and show our other buddy the spot. Goal was to get there at 6 everything seemed to be moving late. We arrive right at 6 to go over the story and get set up. 8 minutes arriving after explaining the story to him and deciding where to sit. My buddy says nobody move there is a monster bull same path but closer. The other guy looks and sure enough a 6x7 monster is 10 yards away. Similar encounter he noticed us and gets out of dodge. I can’t believe it happened twice the exact same spot. Unfortunately that’s all the encounters we had but wow it was pretty crazy. Now sitting at 0-5 on elk hunting. We didn’t recover one year one and buddy had arrow deflect another trip as well. We are so close to being successful I can taste it.

That must have been exciting seeing two bulls in the same location! Were you ready with an arrow nocked and just couldn’t move fast enough for the second bull?